Looking for current racing games

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Looking for current racing games

Post by Testiculese »

Merlin, what are the current racing games that you own or have played? I have the wheel and everything. I'm leery about racing games because it seems too easy to get a dud.

Processing power is no object (Neither is cash, but whatever) :)

I'm looking for NFS-style play. A bunch of different cars, street and pro, and NFS3-style tracks, meaning, that you take a nice country back road with the scenery and everything, and get 8 laps. I bought NFS5:PU but all the tracks were point-2-point, which suck because you only have one 'lap'. They were nice and pretty, I do like the game, but I really wish they took those p2p's and made them lap-able.

I'm not into Nascar style. I like ripping down country roads, city roads, whatever. Not excited about driving 500 miles in a circle, if that's all they are.

Thanks!
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

GTR2, NFS Prostreet, and TOCA race driver 2
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Floyd »

GTR2 seconded (with Nordschleife addon of course ;)) you can play with heaps of drive assistants to play it NFS-style or in full simulation mode (clutch included). play with a sound system if possible, you will see why ;)
rocks. big time.

man, that road is getting so small at 300km/h ... oh and, use your brakes. :D
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

x 3 @ GTR 2
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Try TrackMania Sunrise, or possibly TrackMania United. If you want lap races, I wouldn't recommend the original, as it has none. The big perk about the TrackMania series is its incredibly easy to use editor, which the entire game is based around. It also has a strong online community. I personally don't play one track for more than a day, as the next day I'm busy building a new one. It's incredibly addictive.
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Floyd »

oh yeah, Trackmania Nations (free). there are hundreds of great new tracks already. :)
though Trackmania is arcade, very fun at that too.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I almost forgot. Sonic Riders is available for PC. Although it doesn't have an editor, there's tons of unlockable stuff (I've beaten the main campaign, and there's still tracks I haven't played.) If you're looking for something new in the racing genre, and you like Sonic the Hedgehog, it's pretty good.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I almost forgot. Sonic Riders is available for PC. Although it doesn't have an editor, there's tons of unlockable stuff (I've beaten the main campaign, and there's still tracks I haven't played.) If you're looking for something new in the racing genre, and you like Sonic the Hedgehog, it's pretty good.

Edit: Sorry for double posting.
Red_5
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Red_5 »

NFS 6: Hot Pursuit 2! Old, but still an amazingly well-done game! Love mine!
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

Damn I hated NFS: 6. The driving dynamics just weren't up to par.

I have loved and played (and beaten) every NFS game from 2 to 5. I loved Porsche Unleashed Testi! I've beaten it probably 4 times. But yea after that game IMO NFS went way downhill, especially when it bought into the whole ricer thing. Weak!

So those are the only games I can recommend. :p
Birdseye wrote:It's never over
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sedwick »

Did The Fast and the Furious ever get ported from the arcade? Nothing like being able to bust through a rich community's gate to shortcut through someone's garage, or plow a GTO through stone columns. Great fun...
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

4 x GTR2 yes

Stay away from TOCA 2/3 starforcedgames

I have both and they are useless now ... I will no longer install starforced games on my PC

GTR and GT legends NO (starforced have those too useless now)
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by roid »

Sedwick wrote:Did The Fast and the Furious ever get ported from the arcade? Nothing like being able to bust through a rich community's gate to shortcut through someone's garage, or plow a GTO through stone columns. Great fun...
sounds like those ricer versions of NFS, they had "rep points" etc. I forget what the games were called - but they were popular.

if you ask me, they sucked, huge, games made for the same 10-year-olds who thought the fast&furious movies were serious business.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

I have race driver 2 and 3. they both still work on my system, even though I play 2 much more than 3.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

GTR2, GTR, GTL, rFactor are about the best there is out there. Oh, Race 07 also.

The above games are ALL Sims and not arcade games. Flatout 2 has what you want. It also incorporates derby in the races. It's very well made and lots of fun. We are a few on Kali who play it but not often anymore. It does have an online community and some have made mods for it. Other than that, only NFS has what you want.

The racing scene is not big compared to other genres.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Race 07 is my next purchase - another fine SimBin Production without Starforce

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

I was mentioning NFS for its variety of tracks, cars, and features. Sim/Arcade..either/or, tho' I'd lean more to sims because I like actual driving.

Thanks for suggestions, I'm going to waste some company time and check out a few sites. :)
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Also, the Logitech G25 is currently the best wheel you can get for cheap. It's about 200$ but well worth it.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

I was just coming back here to talk about the wheel. Apparently Logitech still makes good ones? Awesome. I have a nice Logitech already, but it's NFS3-era, I'm sure the new ones have more buttons and (hopefully) a heavier foot base. I had to take mine apart and install rug spikes and lead weights from an old phone to keep the darn thing in one spot.

Do you have the G25? Is that shifter position-based? Like in a real car, you have the slots for each gear? If so, that seems a bit much, small grooves would seem to make it hard to shift.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I have one, it's partly made of metal, metal pedals including clutch. Each have different resistances. full 900 degrees rotation, H style shifter that isn't attached to main body. Paddles shifters, and only 2 buttons on the wheel. The shifter does have 8 buttons, plus a gamepad control. The shifter works in H style or up/down cause some games don't support it yet. The shifter is like a car, no slots. You can easily shift into another gear if you aren't carful but it add to the realism of the game.

The G25 is about 1.5 yrs old at most. Puffer, Bubba, Vrooden, myself have the G25 and we all love it. Another add on you may want if you have the cash is Track IR Pro 4.

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gamin ... 1&cl=us,en

GTR 2 also has huge database of tracks, cars, updates etc from the community. The best forum is here.

http://forum.rscnet.org/
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Alright, if it supports plain up/down shifting, then I'm good. I'm not dealing with H pattern for something that small.

So far I'm looking at Race07 and GTR2, I hope my old wheel supports them for now. Race07 has the ghost car feature, which I'm interested in, graphics for both look pretty nice.

I checked out some new NFS titles, but they seem to be trash. Bad handling, and stupid in-game advertisements (Cingular ad plastered on 75% of the game while driving?!) Sucks, they used to be great.

Trackmania I think I've heard about. Found it, some of those screenshots show tracks with no support beams, very wide, and seems like a blast. Perhaps ultimate drunk-driving? :) Is it single-player? (No info other than online stuff)
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Floyd »

Trackmania has Single and Multiplayer.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

What he said.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

All racing sims support 99% of wheels. Even custom ones. GTR 2 also has the ghost car which is great. And if you want a challenge, have a race and set the AI to 110% and see if you can keep up.
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

I just demo'd that trackmania nations Floyd mentioned, that is wierd! But, strangley addictive. :wink: When you play online there are a bunch of other cars, but it's like they are ghost cars, you go right through them.

Has anyone played DiRT? I demo'd that for a while, it has damageable cars, like, if you hit a tree your front end crumples a bit and the car may not go as well, hoods, doors, etc.. fly off, then you run over them on the next lap. To much damage and your done.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Olympia Gold! (Both Descent and racing... if it had ever been finished... :P)
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by WillyP »

Foil wrote:Olympia Gold! (Both Descent and racing... if it had ever been finished... :P)
Ah! now I know why it did not work for me! :oops:
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I tried Dirt demo but doesn't run well on my system. BUt I've heard it's a great game.
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Floyd »

WillyP wrote:Has anyone played DiRT? I demo'd that for a while, it has damageable cars, like, if you hit a tree your front end crumples a bit and the car may not go as well, hoods, doors, etc.. fly off, then you run over them on the next lap. To much damage and your done.
everything and more in the GTR games included ;)
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Yes, GTR series have excellent damage model. Also, they have different levels of play.

Amateur
Semi-Pro
Pro

Amateur is like the NFS series. All aids are on and you really can't spin out. Semi-Pro is a nice combo. I drive Pro because I find I have more fun with a bit of a twitchy car.

And you have a real style pit garage to change a zillion options on your car.
Red_5
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Red_5 »

Burnout: Revenge! Another EA awesomeness game! Plenty of wrecks and explosions!
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Maybe not exactly the style of racing game you're looking for, but Kinetica, the PS2 game, is a blast. I saw it in an EB Games bargain bin for $4 used the other day.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

the guy's looking for PC centric games. I'm pretty sure he would have asked what a good console game was if that's what he wanted.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by BUBBALOU »

WillyP wrote:Has anyone played DiRT? I demo'd that for a while, it has damageable cars, like, if you hit a tree your front end crumples a bit and the car may not go as well, hoods, doors, etc.. fly off, then you run over them on the next lap. To much damage and your done.
I will not Purchase DIRT of use the DIRT Demo until they have a PATCH to remove Starforcefrom it

I like having My 16X DVD Burner do just that . burn @ 16X not at 1X because of Starforce (Malware) Drivers with Ring-Level 0 Control scanning my optical drives ALL THE TIME and not Uninstalling when the Game is UNINSTALLED

Do you have Starforce Malware????
---------------------------------
Goto Device Manager
View/Show Hidden Devices
Non-Plug and Play Device Drivers Section
Look for anything that says "StarForce ...." or "Frontline...." and Remove it
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

I now have DiRT. It is AWESOME. It would have roid bouncing everywhere with it's awesomeness. There are so many tracks. Laps, p2p. It's great. Some of these tracks are lllllooooooooonnnnnnnnnnggggggg.

The Starforce is history. There is a nocd crack for it that disables Starforce before it even gets installed. In DiRT's case, the game asks before it installs the drivers, so you just apply the crack and you're never prompted.
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

Well, having read a bit about StarForce, (thanks Bub,) it does not sound so bad after all. But I removed it anyway. There is a remover on StarForce's website. I also removed that bit of granola bar that was stuck between my 'G' and 'H' key, this operation enhanced the performance of both afflicted keys immensely.

So, Testi, what are you using to control DiRT? I've tried it with my stick, but it doesn't like the stick too much. Kinda twitchy.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I just recently re-nstalled Grand Prix Legends (1967 Formula 1) with some programs that automatically update teh graphics, tracks, sounds etc and WOW, I forgot how hard this game is.