Eye Surgery?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Eye Surgery?

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Looking into getting eye surgery. Just wondering if anyone else has had this done? Currently I have enough to have it done and I'm interested in doing just that before I move out as right now I can afford it. When I'm out on my own, I won't and this may be the one chance I've got. :) Would be nice to see with my own eyes and I cant stand contacts.

Anyone have any info about it? I'm looking at either laser surgery or the other alternative where they implant a sort-of contact lens inside your eye.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

If your thinking of 'Lasik\" eye surgery, don't! Apparently if you have Lasik done, it makes it VERY difficult to have cataract lens replacement done in the future because it screws up the doctor's ability to accurately measure the eye's focal point, it dishes out the cornea! If you ever need to have cataract surgery in the future, they may have to replace the lens multiple times to get the right correction, requiring two or more surgeries close together! My sister-in-law regretted ever having laser surgery!

A warning about having a new lens put in, in other words, replacing the eye's own lens with a plastic one. They've only been tested to twenty years of service and they don't know if the plastic will degrade over a long period of time. So if your young, you may screwed in the future because, with the present technology, it can't be replaced if it's been in a long time, no matter if you have plastic or glass lenses put in!

I wouldn't muck with my eyes unless I was almost blind! They don't have bionic eyes yet if they get messed up.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Also, you lose some night vision with lasik eye surgery.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

I will stay w/ my glases just a bit longer, TYVM.
ImageImage
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

I've heard mixed things. A couple friends say they had excellent results, but I've also heard some of the 'horror stories' as well.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I have a cataract in my right eye, and I have chosen to wait as long as I can to do anything, because of all the dangers.

IMHO If you can function in your daily life without too many problems, then I wouldn’t do anything surgically.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=intacs

get INTACS, intercorneal rings.
they are small clear rings that get implanted around the edge of your cornea, their presence adjusts the \"bulge\" of your cornea. So in that way it's like LASIK (adjusts the shape of your eye surface), but nothing is actually removed.

the procedure is entirely reversable, they just take the rings out again.

the military gives it to all of it's ailing Pilots. i hear nothing but raving reviews of the technology. Prettymuch everyone gets better than normal vision (better than 20/20) from it - and if you don't, they can just do it over again until you do :).
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Ah, sounds like what I'm talking about Roid. These are supposed to go under a small natural flap over your iris and they just simply slip it under that flap and it does just as you described.

I'm 50/50 on this thing. I can't stand contacts. My Dad had his cataracts fixed a couple of times and he hasn't ever been bothered by it.
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

I'm too phobic to have anything done with my eyes. I don't even wear contact lens. I don't like wearing glasses neither, but I've decided that for each year I go to the doctor for the annual exam, I'll buy another cute different styled pair of glasses. That way for me I'm not stuck with the same thing all the time.

I only need my glasses for when I'm driving in an unfamiliar area, and when I go to school. Sometimes I'll wear it to work on weekends and nights when shoplighting chances are higher.
I'm glad that I can make do without glasses.

Good luck with your eye surgery! :D
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Well, after reading some people's thoughts here, I'm holding off a bit. I don't want to kill my vision completely.

You're lucky Kiran, if you don't need them, other than for driving, I wouldn't touch my eyes either. But I can't make out someones face that is standing 4 feet away from me without them. I can only pick out the details of my own hand from about a foot and a half away. With glasses I can see everything though.

I can wear contacts but I was always paraniod because I had a pair split in half and had half of my contact stuck up under my upper eyelid one night for a few hours. Did not feel good at all.
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Floyd »

you take them out at night you know?
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Yeah, that's what I was doing when it split in half. :D
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

I had Lasik surgery about 3 months ago. My experience was overall really good. I'm incredibly paranoid about my eyes, so it was a little scary to sign the form beforehand saying, \"I understand that there is a chance, however small, I could lose my vision.\"

I was uncomfortable during the surgery but it ws very fast (just a few minutes), and there was no pain, just some pressure on my eyes.

The more difficult part for me was actually after the surgery, because I had several types of eyedrops to take 3x a day. My eyes felt good for the majority of the day (maybe slightly dry), but when I would take the drops sometimes it would really burn and sting - to the point where I might not even be able to open my eyes for 5-10 minutes. I couldn't even rub them for fear that I would tear the flap off and possibly go blind, haha. That lasted for about a week or two.

Even with those inconveniences, I think Lasik is great, my vision is excellent at 20/15, and my night vision has been slowly improving. My only regret is that I wish I had done the surgery earlier.
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

Whatever you do, do not ask the Internet for advice.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

that is bad advice