d3server

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

slurpy
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

d3server

Post by slurpy »

im having trouble joining my own servers on pxo. got the servers running on a different pc. i can see the games on the pxo list, but when i try to join it says "no response from server"... any help would be appreciated.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

did you try '-port 2094' in your command arguments?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

correction: -useport 2094
slurpy
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by slurpy »

yeah i tried -useport 2094 on the client machine. same thing.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

The server and client are running on different ports correct? You might want to try forwarding 2092-2098 to the server, not just 2092 if you havnt done that already.
slurpy
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by slurpy »

yeah, as far as i know they're using different ports. im hosting 3 servers from 2090-2092 and i can't join any. tried forwarding ports 2090-2098 also.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

If you're forwarding ports 2090-2098 to the server and are running the client on 2094, then all the data that should be going to the client is instead going to the server. The client has to be running outside of the range of ports that are being forwarded to the server.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

If that were true, then I wouldnt be able to FTP into my own FTP server on my LAN via port 21, do not listen to dcrazy.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

I don't know if any of what I'm gonna say is factual, but I'll throw it out there. If you forward port 2092 to your server, any packets going to that port will go to your server, rather than your other computer. Therefore, when you try to play d3 on port 2092, the packets from the server to you are getting routed back to the server. Does that make any sense?

Something you might want to try is looking under Direct TCP/IP and scan the local network. I seem to remember some of the Asylum PXO servers showing up on the LAN.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

It doesnt work that way Vander & DCrazy, you forward those ports and anything that comes into the router from outside the LAN on those ports gets forwarded to the server, it has no effect on the computers inside the LAN.

If that were true, then he wouldnt be able to join (or even list for that matter) ANY PXO games, not just his own.

My guess is his router is handleing it wrong. When I connect to a game on my network via the external IP my router properly forwards to the server computer.

For another example, I actually run an apache web server and forward HTTP port 80 to that server computer. Yet all 5 of the other computers on the network are able to browse websites even tho all the websites use HTTP port 80 (acedumbass' port 88 server excluded). This isnt in theory, this is relaity, I actually do that, so what you guys are saying makes no sense at all or I would'nt be able to post here.
slurpy
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by slurpy »

i probably just need a new router
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

fwd 2092 UDP to you gaming box (default)
fwd 2093-2095 UDP to your servers ( misc -useport 2093, 94, 95) because they are other than default

if your using Hunters D3Server tool skip over server 1 and use 2,3,4 so the Ports match up
slurpy
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by slurpy »

still no luck. grr.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

you should be able to connect to a server if you host it direct tcp/ip if you can then the server settings is not an issue. you should be able to connect both ways TOO via Broadband ip xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:2093 and via LAN ip 192.168.1.10x:2093

it's your servers/clients firewall that is an issue and it relates to PXO only. If you disable the Firewall and you can connect VIA PXO ( like you should be able to ) then you need to do some adjustments to the Rules of the Firewall
slurpy
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by slurpy »

you know what. i tried joining a direct tcp/ip game just this second. one of the servers was set to host direct tcp/ip when pxo goes down. so i type in the ip and see the game on the list. same error "no response from server"

what's weird to me is how i can telnet in as remote admin but not play direct tcp/ip or pxo.
slurpy
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by slurpy »

you know what. i tried joining a direct tcp/ip game just this second. one of the servers was set to host direct tcp/ip when pxo goes down. so i type in the ip and see the game on the list. same error "no response from server"

what's weird to me is how i can telnet in as remote admin but not play direct tcp/ip or pxo.
slurpy
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by slurpy »

MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

You know what, why don't you just run nettest.exe instead of going to the trouble of loading D3?
slurpy
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by slurpy »

"Your firewall/proxy is not correctly configured for port 2092."

"Your firewall is setup correctly for the PXO user tracker (UDP port 2092)."
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Testing Game port...

The firewall/proxy is not correctly configured for port 2092.
NOTE: It is also possible that the echo server is down, or there is an internet
related problem.

Checking PXO...

Network initted successfully!
Looking up hostname: gt.parallaxonline.com.
Looking up hostname: ut.parallaxonline.com.
Your firewall is setup correctly for the PXO user tracker (UDP port 2092).
Your firewall is setup correctly for the PXO game tracker (UDP port 3445).
Summary:

Warning!
Not everything work correctly while testing your network and firewall/proxy!
Please refer to the information printed above for more details.
I can still play PXO games and games on my own server, actually, I have never seen nettest pass the test.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Probably because those port 80 connections are initialized from inside the NAT, so the router knows not to forward the packets to a certain machine. Unsolicited packets on a certain port WILL be forwarded to a specific IP address, that's the principle behind port forwarding.

For specifics, see this page and scroll down to "How does it work?". Exactly as I stated above: checks the masquerading table to see if the router has instantiated an outgoing connection on this port; if so, it routes all traffic over that port from the external IP back to the machine that started the "conversation".
slurpy
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by slurpy »

thanks to all that helped. got the servers working now.
Delkian
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Delkian »

Even though UDP is connectionless, I'd assume that NAT boxes usually use a masquerading table also for UDP packets - if an UDP packet is coming from the outside from an address where you just sent an UDP packet, or something along those lines, it's considered related to the traffic that originated outbound. I don't know the specifics but that's the idea. Thus, such packets are not unsolicited.

That's how my NAT box works. I have no experience from other ones, though, but if they didn't work that way, you couldn't even play UDP-utilizing games without using port forwarding, or watch video streams transported over UDP.

Which one is given higher preference, the 'stateful matching' (maybe not the same thing, but you get the idea) of UDP packets according to the masquerading table or the port forwarding table might be a bit questionable, but I would be surprised if it weren't the former one.

Anyway, good that you got it working. Would you care to share what the problem was and how you got it fixed?
slurpy
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by slurpy »

problem was that i couldn't join the games i was hosting on the same lan.

i could join direct tcp/ip games if i scanned the internal ip for games but not when i typed in the external ip, even though it showed up on the list.
i could also see the games on the pxo list but not join. every time i would get the error "no response from server"

so i gave all the machines static ips instead of dynamic. the linksys website said i had to use the ip range 192.168.1.1-100 for static ips so i manually set the ip/dns/gateway in the tcp/ip config from windows.

then i added "-pxo 192.168.1.50:209x" in the command line arguments. im not sure if i tried the internal ip with that argument before i changed the ips to static but it works now.