planet descent updates?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

planet descent updates?

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Okay, I'm trying to submit a level set to someone at PD.com to upload it and (hopefully) make a news post about it. But I've followed two links and two email addresses there on the website and sent it to two people and now, two weeks later, nothing. Do the webmasters not care anymore about new content to the series? What happens when its time to release the 25+ level SP set for Descent 2, me and various other level designers are working on right now? Where will that be hosted?
(and koolbear's upload site still hates me and blocks every attempt I make)
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

At PD ... we're trying to get some changes done with that very aging] system before it quits completely. In the meantime, it also means somethings are not working or responding the way things should.

For now, send stuff to Top Gun or me.
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

Trying being the key word. Nobody in power will do anything. Its much like the DBB in that way.

Even setting up a base platform at http://www.planetdescent.net has done nothing to spur anyone off their ass.
--------------
----------
---Capm
http://www.midnightsquadron.com
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Kyouryuu »

Capm wrote:Trying being the key word. Nobody in power will do anything. Its much like the DBB in that way.

Even setting up a base platform at http://www.planetdescent.net has done nothing to spur anyone off their ass.
What the heck is your problem?
Trackball
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Trackball »

Is cloning sites the latest fad in the Descent community?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Everything must have a .com and .net it seems.
Jon the Great
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Jon the Great »

Capm wrote:Trying being the key word. Nobody in power will do anything. Its much like the DBB in that way.

Capm I admire people like you who are trying so hard to revamp and keep the active descent community alive.

That said, I think you're being unfair to yourself to count on the community to create the rest of the site for you, and I'm sure you realize revamping a site as large and as content rich as PD is going to take a little more than setting up an IP Board with a picture that says Planet Descent. Definitely ask people if they can spare some time, but beyond that it's your project if you want it done.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Dakatsu »

Krom wrote:Everything must have a .com and .net it seems.
And apparently a .org: :roll:
http://www.descentbb.org/

I went to planetdescent.net, and read TechPro's post. I really don't know what I could do, but I would be willing to do something to help. I have limited abilities in terms of website design or whatever...

If it is something really easy, I could help post up levels or POTDs on it.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

Dakatsu wrote:
Krom wrote:Everything must have a .com and .net it seems.
And apparently a .org: :roll:

I went to planetdescent.net, and read TechPro's post. I really don't know what I could do, but I would be willing to do something to help. I have limited abilities in terms of website design or whatever...

If it is something really easy, I could help post up levels or POTDs on it.
Dakatsu, I've learned never to click on your links again. They are never what they seem.

Bee
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

I'm not counting on the community to make the whole site Jon, but building PD.net without support and cooperation from PD.com would be pointless, thats what I'm getting at. Those in power refuse to say yay or nay to rebuilding or to anything for that matter. They're hell bent on fixing the outdated system thats in place when many of us feel its time to move on to something new.
--------------
----------
---Capm
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

.org doesn't exists. Link points to a youtube video.
Trackball
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Hmmm...

Post by Trackball »

To be honest, I've always wanted to contribute to Planet Descent. No offense to the management, but the site has definitely seen better days. I realize that the community has shrunk over the past couple years or so but IMO there should be more frequent updates. PD could have been used to schedule weekly games and generate more interest in the franchise.

www.planetdescent.net beckons memories of the descentbb.com split. Will anything come of it? Is there really a need to start another Descent site? Perhaps. With a possible Descent IV on the way, a fresh website could prove beneficial.

Regardless, I would like to offer my services not only to www.planetdescent.net, but to the classic www.planetdescent.com as well.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Dakatsu »

Bet51987 wrote:Dakatsu, I've learned never to click on your links again. They are never what they seem.
I lub links, and I knew a descentbb.org would be unresistable :)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

bare in mind that some of us are at work and links of that nature are NOT appreciated. Don't be a pinhead.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re:

Post by TigerRaptor »

Dakatsu wrote:I lub links, and I knew a descentbb.org would be unresistable :)
And remember Dakatsu what goes around comes around. As this was unresistable. ;)

A Dakatsu moment.
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Re:

Post by Richard Cranium »

CDN_Merlin wrote:.org doesn't exists. Link points to a youtube video.
You've been Rick Rolled!
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Dakatsu »

TigerRaptorFX wrote:
Dakatsu wrote:I lub links, and I knew a descentbb.org would be unresistable :)
And remember Dakatsu what goes around comes around. As this was unresistable. ;)

A Dakatsu moment.
I lub images, and I knew this would come up again sometime :P
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

What? Non IE browsers don’t tell you where you’re going before you click…shame on them. :P
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

Spidey wrote:What? Non IE browsers don’t tell you where you’re going before you click…shame on them. :P
No, they do. Some people here just have too much trust in Dakatsu...
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I didn't click, I looked in bottom left corner of FF to see link.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

Bet51987 wrote:
Dakatsu wrote: And apparently a .org: :roll:
Dakatsu, I've learned never to click on your links again. They are never what they seem.

Bee
D'oh! I fell for it, too.

Don't worry, Bet. If you've only been RickRolled (Wiki article) once, count yourself lucky! :P
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

Foil wrote:D'oh! I fell for it, too.

Don't worry, Bet. If you've only been RickRolled (Wiki article) once, count yourself lucky! :P
He's done this more than once but he won't catch me again. Dakatsu.. meet me in the mines and bring some help. :wink:

Bee
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

way to hijack the thread :P
--------------
----------
---Capm
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

Well anyway, since I crashed the car that is this topic, I guess I will get it out of the tree it managed to get stuck in :)

I vote that PD adds a few more trustworthy staffmembers. I think I demonstrated why you shouldn't pick me, but Bet and Foil would make good additions, for example.

EDITALISIOUS:
Dakatsu.. meet me in the mines and bring some help.
BRING IT...

or I will... if I remember to play D3 sometime :)
TOR_LordRaven
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TOR_LordRaven »

Let me know what I can do Capm. I am available to assist with both PD.net and PD.com
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

Trackball, LordRaven, I'll let you guys know the instant I get a green light for the project, until then all I can do is complain :P
--------------
----------
---Capm
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Track, ... you're building it in sharepoint?
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Anyone know how PD.net is going? I just typed a nice long post at PD.com only to have the url error boot me completely out so I couldn't recover what I typed. I used to like PD but that was the last straw in my clenched fists.

I'm a member of PD.net, but I don't see any activity.

Bee
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Bet ... making a post 'work' on PD is still easy ... if you know what will kill messages.

When posting on PD:
  • 1 - NEVER press the Enter key. If you do, and don't erase/backspace over that Enter keypress ... it will URL error on ya. Use the <br> html tag instead of Enter keypress. Sure it makes posting the message a little messy, but the messages work complete because the <br> will give you the Enter keypress you didn't do (but wanted to).
    2 - Avoid the single quote mark ' and only use it in contractions like: can't or don't or parent's (you get the idea)
    3 - Avoid the tilde character ~ since it will usually result in the URL error as well.
    4 - Don't place three periods immediately after a word. Instead, always put a space between the word and the three periods. Good: then ... Bad: then...
There are probably more items that trigger PD's URL error, but that's pretty much all that we've discovered so far.

And yes, it's pretty frustrating right now, especially since 99% of PD's staff is all waiting on just one person before they can do anything about the problem.
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

No point in doing anything with pd.net unless we have capability to bring it live as a part of pd.com first, otherwise we might as well just pick a whole new name, which is the way its looking. pd.net was just a test site, btw, I've taken it offline, but whatever is chosen to do we can do whenever we're ready.

There is something to be said for changing the name, give it a broader scope, a possiblity for life beyond a single game that hasn't had a sequal in nearly 10 years......
--------------
----------
---Capm