D3 on widescreen monitor - How can I correct stretching?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

D3 on widescreen monitor - How can I correct stretching?

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Is there a way that I can force D3 to the correct aspect ratio on a widescreen monitor? Preferably without losing any vertical visibility. I'm fine with black bars on the sides.
DarkShadow
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re: D3 on widescreen monitor - How can I correct stretching?

Post by DarkShadow »

Descent 3 readme wrote: -aspect <value> Specifies the screen aspect ratio for non-standard displays, such as wide-screen TVs. The aspect value is the width of the screen divided by the height, so if you want to play Descent 3 on a 16:9 wide-screen TV, use "-aspect 1.78".
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

I tried it ... didn't seem to do anything.

My temporary fix is switching my primary monitor to my 19\" LCD when I want to play D3. So it's not that big of a deal. But I know eventually I'm going to be replacing that monitor with a Cintiq so it would be nice to figure out this widescreen thing.
heftig
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by heftig »

If your monitor is connected via DVI, you can tell your graphics driver to scale while maintaining aspect ratio. Then use a 4:3 resolution in D3. You'll get black bars.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

If you have an NVidia card, there's a \"scaling\" section in the NVidia control panel that should handle it. (I haven't seen anything similar in the ATI CCC, but I would think it's an option somewhere.)

FYI, for anyone else reading: the other option (setting the aspect to widescreen) works fine, but you lose some vertical \"field-of-view\".
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Click.

Note that in \"true\" WS mode the HUD overlay graphics will stay streched even tho the 3D render is correct.

If you have a Samsung monitor that supports HDCP and a 8XXX nVidia card you may not be able to get an unstreched 5:4 picture since the \"Use NVIDIA scaling w/ fixed-aspect ratio\" will be unaccessable. Post if that's your problem, I can dig up the fix for that.
ImageImage
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Darktalyn1 wrote:Is there a way that I can force D3 to the correct aspect ratio on a widescreen monitor? Preferably without losing any vertical visibility. I'm fine with black bars on the sides.
Formula W / H = A (x.xx) (edit)

16:9 then we know 1.78 ( -width ???? -height ???? -aspect 1.78 )

You need to specify the W X H resolution switches - Until then it will not work!

These are my resolution switches for d3 -width 1280 -height 1024 -aspect 1.25 (1280/1024=1.25)

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

BUBBALOU wrote:Formula H / W = A (x.xx)
Should that not be W/H ? H/W will always equal a number smaller than one.
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Cuda68 »

TIGERassault wrote:
BUBBALOU wrote:Formula H / W = A (x.xx)
Should that not be W/H ? H/W will always equal a number smaller than one.
I just ran that equation (1280 / 1024) and it does come up as 1.25
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Misc section of D3 (I use vauss and hate loss induced by high fps in d3, so framecap 2x my refresh)

Open-GL Video Mode (Multiplayer)

-useport 2093 -framecap 140 -nointro -nosparkles -nomotionblur -nooutragelogo -playermessages -aspect 1.25 -width 1280 -height 1024 -directinput -deadzone0 0.0 -deadzone1 0.0

D3D Video Mode (Singleplayer & Coop)

-useport 2093 -framecap 140 -nointro -bumped -z32bit -aspect 1.25 -width 1280 -height 1024 -directinput -deadzone0 0.0 -deadzone1 0.0

Timetest OGL

-nointro -nonetwork -nosound -nomusic -framecap 0 -fastdemo -timetest secret2.dem