USB 2.0 PCMCIA Card...

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

TOR_LordRaven
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

USB 2.0 PCMCIA Card...

Post by TOR_LordRaven »

I have an HP Omnibook xe4400s, and it only has USB 1.1 connections.

I got a USB 2.0 PCMCIA card from TigerDirect. But the company that makes it \"ZONET\" has terrable support. I ahve sent them e-mails and left messages, but no response.

Anyway, the Card itself has two USB ports on it, and what looks like a power connector located between the two ports. It also came with a USB cable that has what looks like a power connector on the end of it.

Anyone have any idea what thats for? Maybe if the PCMCIA Slot is not providing enough juice for the card, you can plug the usb end into an existing usb port, then plug the power end into the PCMCIA Card?

Here is a link:

Product Page from ZONETs Site:
http://www.zonetusa.com/DispProduct.asp?ProductID=82

HighRes Photo:
http://www.zonetusa.com/ProductDownload/ZUN2200.jpg

TigerDirect:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... &CatId=511
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Does it have a manual or something of that sort?
TOR_LordRaven
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TOR_LordRaven »

yeah, but makes no mention of this USB/Power cord, or describe what the middle port is for.
akula65
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by akula65 »

I have an HP N3215 notebook machine with a single USB 1.1 port, and I bought an SIIG USB 2.0 CardBus Dual port card from CompUSA several years ago. It also has a power connector between the USB ports, but mine shipped with an AC adapter. The output of the AC adapter is listed as 4.0-5.5 Volts and 2.5 Amps maximum current.

I think that in order for your card or mine to meet the requirements of a powered USB hub, it will necessarily have to have a supplementary power source of some sort. The PCMCIA or CardBus connector would provide enough power for the adapter card and perhaps low current USB devices, but not nearly enough for a pair of high current USB devices. Your manufacturer apparently made a design decision to draw supplementary power from the USB port and eliminate the need for an external power connection.

I had a device draw too much current from a non-powered hub connected to the USB port on this notebook once, and it was not a pleasant experience. The machine shut down, and when I turned it back on, it refused to allow me to connect the particular USB device, even when I used a powered USB hub. I ended up doing a system restore.
TOR_LordRaven
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TOR_LordRaven »

Okay, so the USB/Power cable is to be used for just that purpose: Plug the power end into the PCMCIA card, and the USB end into one of the regular USB 1.1 slots.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Re:

Post by JMEaT »

TOR_LordRaven wrote:Okay, so the USB/Power cable is to be used for just that purpose: Plug the power end into the PCMCIA card, and the USB end into one of the regular USB 1.1 slots.
I think that it may just be to provide "power over USB" IE a HDD that will draw power from the card. The ports should still work for data (IE USB Jump drive) w/o power.
akula65
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by akula65 »

I dredged up the install guide for this card, and it says the same thing as JMEaT:

\"Note: Some USB devices, such as an external hard disk drive, may require the USB 2.0 CardBus to be powered. Please plug in the power adapter if your device needs it. Refer to the device's manual for more details. Not all USB devices requires (sic) this power adapter to operate.\"
TOR_LordRaven
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TOR_LordRaven »

Thats interesting...

It seems to work fine with my JumpDrives, and I have an external HD that has its own power cord - Again, no problems there.

But if I have a device that requires extra power, I would plug the USB end into my PC, and the power end into the other device?

That rasies the questions: Plug the USB end into which port, a built-in port or the PCMCIA port?
And what would be the purpose of the power port on the PCMCIA Card itself?
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

No, unless I misunderstand, it would go this way:

device's USB -> one of the two PCMCIA Card USB ports
USB end of the power cord -> your PC
other end of the power cord -> the PCMCIA Card

It's basically to bypass pulling power through the PCMCIA slot.
akula65
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by akula65 »

No, you had it right where JMEaT quoted you above: the USB end of the connector should be attached to an existing USB 1.1 port on the computer, and the power end should be attached to the power connector on the USB 2.0 PCMCIA card. The USB devices you attach to the USB 2.0 PCMCIA card will be drawing current through it (the USB 2.0 card), so that is what needs the additional power from the USB 1.1 port.
TOR_LordRaven
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TOR_LordRaven »

Gotcha.

So, with the PCMCIA Card plugged in, the little USB/Power cord should have the USB end plugged into the built-in USB port on the laptop, and the power end into the PCMCIA Card.

Awesome :-)