Crysis Finally Gets OWNED!

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Aggressor Prime
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Crysis Finally Gets OWNED!

Post by Aggressor Prime »

Guru3D recently published this review of the GeForce GTX 280 in SLI. It looks like they got SLI working right so as to give the boosts one would expect.
http://guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-2 ... iew-test/1

So can the maximum GPU (GeForce GTX 280) finally handle the maximum game (Crysis) with maximum resolution (2560x1600) at maximum settings (Very High)?
Single GeForce GTX 280 = 15 FPS
SLI GeForce GTX 280 = 27 FPS (80% performance increase over single)
Tri-SLI GeForce GTX 280 = 38 FPS (153% performance increase over single)

Well, I forgot to add you also need the maximum number of GPUs for this maximum gaming experience!
heftig
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by heftig »

Of course, the 3-way SLI setup also came with a 4200MHz Quad-Core CPU (Core 2 QX9770).
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

3x $650. Outch. :P
ImageImage
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Not to mention the 1000-1200w PSU required to keep it running.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Would that make Descent run REALLLLLY FAST

so I can Lagggg and Skipp REALLY BAD because my framerate is beyond the reality of the gamecode!

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

What the heck are you talking about, Bubbalou? High framerates don't cause latency or 'skippiness'. :roll:

Doesn't matter a my machine renders 500fps or 1,000fps or 10,000fps for Descent3. You still only see as many as your monitor can display (e.g. 60fps for my 60Hz screen).
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

High frame rates actually reduce \"lagginess\" -- less latency betw. events and packets (and vice versa). W/ anything above or equal to a 7800 D3 is pretty much CPU limited anyway.
ImageImage
Aggressor Prime
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

I don't think Descent 3 is programmed to run SLI, maybe Voodoo, but not GeForce. Now running Descent 4 on that would be awesome, if Interplay delivers. Hopefully Descent 4 will include nVidia PhysX so it won't be limited by the CPU for physics and simple AI calculations.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

Aggressor Prime wrote:I don't think Descent 3 is programmed to run SLI...
SLI (Multi-GPUs) isn't something that gets coded for, it's something that gets implemented by the rendering process. So multiple GPUs do give older games like Descent3 benefits, because it's still getting run through OpenGL or DirectX. (Not that D3 needs it, any single modern GPU handles D3 just fine.)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Yeah, D3 should work fine under AFR SLI modes. But its still pointless, I get over 200 FPS at 1920x1440 with 16xAA and 16xAF just on my single 8800 GT, newer cards have even more fillrate.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

38 FPS

That's awful. That's not pwned, that's \"marginal improvement\"
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Considering not many monitors can even display 2560, it's not too bad...
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by BUBBALOU »

Foil wrote:What the heck are you talking about, Bubbalou?
sarcasm eludes you daily :o

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

62.5 amps. LOL

Someone say fire hazard?
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

Question y would u wanna run some thing at that high on a rez. 1152 is good for me. Hell some things I still run in 1024
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

So does that $4,000 one spends on such a system improve the gameplay of Crysis? Is it the greatest game of all time now because of it or what? I dont understand the point. Maybe there isn't one.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Crysis sucks (at least what I was able to gather from the demo). It is very pretty, so pretty in fact, that you get the impression they totally forgot it was a video game and supposed to be fun.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

The demo really doesn't give you the full impact of the game. I just played through it a second time, it was still worth it. The last few sections of the campaign are really awesome.

[It's still a groundpounder, nothing like D3... but it's the best groundpounder I've played in a long time.]
Aggressor Prime
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

I beat the game on Delta. It is not too difficult if you snipe a lot, but it is loads of fun killing guys who can destroy your armor with a single shot.

Maximum speed...grab...maximum strength...throw on other eneimies...maximum armor...kill the rest with submachine gun.

But with 1.20, you can just use maximum speed to make all the Koreans trip, then kill them while they are down.

Now when you fight the aliens, the tactics change, since they have 360 degrees of freedom and you don't except on the alien ship level. For them, it is a matter of using high yield weaponry and running fast enough to avoid their deadly pounces.