For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Spooky
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Spooky »

Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

There is no such thing as “internet privacy” never was, never will be.
Spooky
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Spooky »

MD-1118
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by MD-1118 »

Microsoft's notorious for sending itself reports and such when you get online, supposedly in the name of \"tracking the condition of your computer and its software\". I don't know how truthful that is, but I never send them reports if given the choice. I say feck 'em, they've got millions and/or billions of other users worldwide. They're only getting as much from me as they can take, and what they do get won't tell them jack. Same goes for everything and everyone else. Telemarketers? I don't answer unless I know who it is, or unless I feel like messing with them. :P
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Yes, Spooky, there are products and projects that do much to \"obscure\" or blur the traces or a person's Internet activities ... but the fact still remains that ALL traffic on the internet is logged and tracked, therefore the most anyone can do is make it harder to trace it.

That is the way the Internet has always been, since before people started calling it the \"Internet\".

In the end, if you've got nothing to hide, then so long as you practice safe, smart use of the Internet, you most likely have very little to fear.

Disclaimer: To anyone who argues that viewpoint as \"naive\" ... By \"safe, smart use\" I'm suggesting that people don't leave their personal data exposed to any Internet passerby. Be smart about how you protect your private info (accounts, finance info, passwords, etc ... the stuff you should be using safe, smart practices with already). If you can't understand how to safeguard your personal data ... get off the \"Internet sidewalk\".
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

TechPro, the goal of Tor is to obscure the IP address and the route to the host so the destination server has no idea where the original request came from. It is a distributed anonymous proxy and nothing more. This does absolutely nothing to block tracking cookies or logins if you were to use them. But if you use it, and don't accept any cookies, it is highly likely the destination server will *never* be able to tell where the original request came from.
MD-1118
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by MD-1118 »

Sounds pretty much like Ztunnel to me. You have to manually select/deselect the cookies option, though.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Re:

Post by Ferno »

Spidey wrote:There is no such thing as “internet privacy” never was, never will be.
I guess your online banking and internet transactions don't count, huh.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

I use Zone alarm so at the very least I have control of ET trying to phone home.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Spidey »

Ferno wrote:
Spidey wrote:There is no such thing as “internet privacy” never was, never will be.
I guess your online banking and internet transactions don't count, huh.
Banking and other transactions are “security” issues not privacy as such.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

well, I tend to think my banking transactions as my own business and no one else's.. IE, private.
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Canuck »

woodchip wrote:I use Zone alarm so at the very least I have control of ET trying to phone home.
There are ways to fool Zone Alarm by having packets pose as an IE explorer app. lets them through no problemo.