Wave Pass Over Device

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Aggressor Prime
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Wave Pass Over Device

Post by Aggressor Prime »

Suppose I built a device that could extend the wave length of any wave that hit it, be it an energy wave the size of radio waves, or the ones that make up matter. This device is a sphere, so that when a wave hits it, or really hits a field beyond it for those waves that would otherwise hit inside the sphere, such a wave extends long enough to not hit inside the sphere, but rather hit on the other side, starting with the edge of the sphere, allowing no waves to hit the sphere, allowing the sphere to relatively shrink down in size to nothingness, fitting in between the waves of matter and energy.

I only have one question about such a phenomena as this. Would time run at the same pace for this device as it runs normally?

The reason I ask this is because I don't know if this device, while slipping in between space, might also slip in between time, in which it will run an unlimited time in only a moment from our point of view. I ask this because in such a case, the transmitters would fail the moment they start operating from our perspective due to decay. The device will still be in an accelerated state, either causing a tear in the universe or accelerating the states of objects around the device or both. Also, considering the decay of matter, the device might just explode at the moment of activation with a nuclear power equal to all its atoms becoming pure energy.
Jon the Great
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Jon the Great »

build it see what happens?
You be the hero, i'll be the creepy shopkeeper who shows up to save your butt
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

What you describe could not be a device, it would have to be a natural phenomena, and it would be rather the opposite of a wormhole, kinda like a \"bubble\" in space where its actually bending and stretching things around it. Time would not be affected.
--------------
----------
---Capm
http://www.midnightsquadron.com
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: Wave Pass Over Device

Post by Foil »

Aggressor, clearly you're interested in Physics and have read some things about waves, matter, energy, etc. But there are so many mis-conceptions in your statement above, I'm not even sure where to start. Part of what you said could be fulfilled by a glass marble, and much of the rest belongs firmly in the realm of science fiction (it might make a good story!).

Seriously, if you are really committed to studying these things, go to your local university and start taking some rigorous courses. Start with the prerequisite mathematics, and work your way toward the fields you're interested in. As fascinating as they are, Nova specials and \"Quantum Mechanics for Amatuers\"-type books are no substitute for learning how the models actually work.
Aggressor Prime
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Well, I already devoted my life to Philosophy and Theology, so these things only occupy my life as hobbies, much like computers. Hopefully the invention of a technology that can download data into the brain will suffice. I'm young and have plenty of time to wait.

And concerning time affecting it. In normal circumstances, in which both the observer and the object exist in the same reality, if an object is moving faster, to the object, the object keeps the same pace of time while the reality outside of the object speeds up. To the observer, the object's reality slows down. Now in this case, we have a difference of speed, movement over space.

When we build a device that can allow the waves that make up space as we know it pass over, it no longer has any sense of space, because space is relative off of other objects. For instance, the universe is limited to expand only as far as the big bang's bubble (which of course itself expands at the speed of light). Beyond the outer reaches of the universe, there is no space (distance), there is no time (as far as I know). This object that allows waves to pass over is in the same situation as beyond the edge of the universe, for from its perspective, there is only nothingness beyond it, since all waves of reality automatically pass over it. Without a relation to distance for the object, I don't think there can be a relation to time from our perspective to the object. Since time's pace is based on a difference of speed and this object really has no speed, not to say that it has 0 speed, speed doesn't apply to it. 1 second in this device may be infinite time for us or vice versa. Of course I don't know these things for fact, that is why I'm posting.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TechPro »

Aggressor Prime wrote:Well, I already devoted my life to Philosophy and Theology, so these things only occupy my life as hobbies, much like computers. Hopefully the invention of a technology that can download data into the brain will suffice. I'm young and have plenty of time to wait. ...
Might be coming sooner than we think. This guy (Kevin Warwick) is working towards connecting his brain to the Internet (along with his Cyborg pursuits).
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Floyd »

resistance is futile huh?
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by WillyP »

TechPro wrote:... connecting his brain to the Internet ...
That sounds like an incredibly bad idea...
Aggressor Prime
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Hopefully he uses virus protection. Otherwise he might come out with something wrong in his head.
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sedwick »

Well, according to Intel, human and machine intelligence will begin to merge within 40 years. I'd hate to do the debugging on THAT one...
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

Now here is a situation I wouldn't want Windows Embedded.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Sirius »

Aggressor Prime wrote:Well, I already devoted my life to Philosophy and Theology
Why?

Also, re: human/machine intelligence, this isn't like "programming your head"... it sounds like it's more using computer-related technology to augment or assist the human body. If it's performing a vital task, obviously, you want to make damn sure you get it right. The tools and methodologies exist to do that, thankfully (NASA and other space-related agencies have already had to do similar things; spacecraft are expensive things to lose to software bugs. And ... yes, it has happened. Look up "Ariane 5" for an example :D).