Google Competition

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Strife
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Google Competition

Post by Strife »

http://www.cuil.com

Made by the chick that revamped google a few years ago. Needs some work IMO if it wants to beat out Google. No search images/video/news... Nice appearance... thats about ita s far as im concerned though.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Yeah, nice appearance but I don't think it will be a threat to Google anytime soon.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

the classic mistake, attacking simple with complex.

I don't think its going to go far
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

The search results page is too visually complex. Results don't line up well, and the \"wall of text\" effect is in full swing. They might do better to preserve some measure of text formatting (though google does poorly here too.)

Also, results don't seem to be grouped in any coherent fashion. For example, searching for \"LotharBot\", you find there are about half a dozen sites I'm really active on under that name. The majority of each page of search results is from those few sites, so to find sites where I've only posted once or twice, you have to go way down the list. Google's \"more results from [domain]\" is a far better setup. (To make it even better, put a number -- \"78 more results from [domain]\".)
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Interesting.

I didn't like the search results either. Very intimidating, and not easy to eye-over. Their About Us page sounds intriguing, though.
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sedwick »

Actually, entering my name turned up a number of items for me including my hiring at my current company two years ago, a photo from an alumni gathering, and a theatrical bio. Google didn't give me any of those.

EDIT: Searching for \"Sedwick Descent\" turns up a number of my DBB posts, but at least one link leads to a different topic than what's shown...
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I like it.
Wings
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wings »

The only thing that bugs me is how each paragraph doesnt line up. I haven't actually looked in depth at anything on there yet, but it looks like it has much more up-front information than google, which may be very helpful if you're looking for something specific.