Good monitor?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Defender
DBB Master
DBB Master

Good monitor?

Post by Defender »

Wassup folks. Been a long time, but always have & always will stop by for hardware recommendations.

I was thinking about getting a new monitor and this one on newegg looks good.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824009117

What do you guys think?
Trying to keep the price down so below $200 is pretty important. Also need something that's good for PC Gaming. I typically just play WoW on my PC these days (and some RTSs here & there).

Whaddya think? Has a good bit of reviews.

If not, any ideas on what would fit for my price range?

Thanks!
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Despite the specs ... IMHO it's an \"Acer\" brand which means it's gonna be a cheap product. You get what you pay for. I, personally, avoid Acer products whenever possible.
Gold Leader
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Gold Leader »

The best Monitor brands are Silicon Graphics & Eizo, good affordable brands are Iiyama, Philips, Samsung & Sony.

Just depends on how large your pocket book is and how you are willing to spend your money to a certain amount.

Acer isn't a good brand I had one and it was also my last, very poor image quality and very cheap parts, I'd stay away from Acer.
Blue-Leader: Dual Six-Core AMD OpteronDP 2435 D0, 4x 4096MB PC2-6400 ECC Reg Kingston Value Ram, Supermicro H8DAE-2
Firefox: Dual Two-Core AMD OpteronDP 285 E6, 4x 2048MB PC-3200 ECC Reg HP/Micron Server Ram, ASUS K8N-DL
Spooky
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Spooky »

Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Samsung and Viewsonic. Those are the best of the established companies, and have had a long history of quality. I have three Samsungs and two Viewsonics, and I wouldn't recommend anything else for that price range.

Warning: If you go widescreen, you are going to hate the 1440x900 rez. It's awfully low, I don't know why these companies do this... at your price range, I'd suggest just going with standard squares.
Defender
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Defender »

Ok, so what monitors specific would you recommend in the $200 range? 17\" is the preference.
Spooky
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Spooky »

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re:

Post by Krom »

Defender wrote:Ok, so what monitors specific would you recommend in the $200 range? 17" is the preference.
17"? The $200 range is going to be dominated by 19" monitors and should be able to produce a pretty good LCD at that. Unless you specifically want a smaller screen for some reason, go for the 19" 5:4 ones because they have been the best value in price/size for quite some time.
Defender
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Defender »

I only said 17\" cause that's why my current CRT is. 19\" would be fine, I just thought going up in size would significantly raise the price.

Suprised to find that 19\" LCD's good enough for gaming would cost that little. I've been out of the market for a while, so any suggestions on sites to shop on other than Newegg?

Thanks guys.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

zipzoomfly is ok.
butterflyphoto is good too

I've purchased from both.
Defender
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Defender »

I managed to find a couple that look good.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824001072

and

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824001245

Though the latter's widescreen and I'm not a huge fan of that, especially since I doubt the games I play would support widescreen. (Older games.)
The former doesn't have many reviews so that leaves me a tad worried too.

I'll try to dig up some reviews. If anyone knows of some links would be appreciated. :)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Ugh 1440x900 isn't even supported on half the modern games without forcing it in the command line (I would know since my laptop has a 17\" widescreen at that resolution). If you are worried about older games and compatibility though, even the 17\" monitor is a 5:4 aspect compared to virtually all CRTs that are 4:3, games are going to stretch funny on all but a very few LCDs that still dare to run a native 4:3 resolution.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

I've had great luck with Samsung. Have a 930b on my PC and a 46 inch series 5 LCD TV in the living room.