Trillian

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Trillian

Post by JMEaT »

I have not been able to figure out how to turn this feature off in Trillian. I keep getting random UIN add requests.

There is a way to block this in ICQ, but anyone know how to block it in Trillian ICQ? I have all the filtering on?

Thanks for any help. :) Trillain 3.1 build 121.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

In Trillian, Click on the icon/graphic for you ICQ, then select \"Connection preferences\", then select the \"Ignore List\" tab.

I'm sure you can figure it out from there. :wink:
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

That's the problem. It's a new number everytime. :(
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

That pretty much makes it impossible to filter out.

Obviously, you've participated in a chat group where the participants are getting spammed. Tough luck.

Myself, I stay a looooong way away from the IM chat rooms for that very reason.
Sllik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sllik »

That's one of the biggest problems with ICQ - they, more than any other of the IM netowks (with Yahoo being a close 2nd) are horrible about spam IMs. It's been quite a while since I used Trillian, but I think there was an ability in the general options that enforced making sure you couldn't receive IMs from anyone that wasn't already on your buddy list, and then you could also configure it so that you automatically ignore all buddy invites. This would 'fix' the spam IM problem, but also means that anyone you want to chat with, you'll have to add them first or they won't be able to even send you an invite/IM at all. I might be misremembering, though.
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

How hard could it possibly be?

The ICQ privacy setting window looks like this. This is reached by clicking on the + sign next to ICQ under Chatting Services and then clicking on Privacy.

* 1) The first option is a Drop Down box saying \"Apply Settings to:\". When connected to the Internet, this box will have your nickname with which you are now connected to that IM service, which then has to be selected here. The setting that you make are active and set for that specific nick (which you specified in the box) If you have two nicks, make sure you repeat the procedure to get the setting you desire on both nicks.
* 2) The \"Who can view my status\" part, is the one which actually allows you to \"show\" whether you online or if you want to hide your status. The viewers on your \"Visible List\" CAN see and contact you when you are online and the users on your \"Invisible List\" CANNOT see your status AT ANY POINT of time. The add name and remove buttons are used to add and remove names from the lists respectively.
* 3) The Miscellaneous settings can be used to set \"stricter\" restrictions on who can contact you. The \"Accept messages only from users on my contact list\" option will PREVENT ALL other users of ICQ from contacting you, and those on your contact list can contact you.
* 4) It is advisable to set the \"Do not accept WWPager\" and \"Do not accept EmailExpress\" options to ON, as MOST of these messages ARE junk and of no actual use.
* 5) IP security SHOULD be set to \"Never Display my IP address\" for MAXIMUM security.

TRILLIAN: PREFERENCES -> CHATTING SERVICES -> ICQ -> IGNORE LIST

This is where the actual \"Ignoring\" takes place. Any User once added to this list is completely Ignored and all attempt they make to contact you/send messages WILL NOT BE seen by you and will be blocked. Clicking the ADD button, Displays a box to enter the UIN of the user you want to ignore. After entering the UIN and clicking on OK, the user is completely ignored.

TRILLIAN: PREFERENCES -> CHATTING SERVICES -> ICQ -> MISC

Again as the name implies, this is the place to set a few miscellaneous things. The first two boxes i.e.; General and Direct Connection should be left alone. There is an additional Trillian capability called \"SecureIM\". This is basically very very similar to DCC on IRC or Direct IM on AIM, the ONLY two differences being this SecureIM is secured through 128 bit encryption (Trillian uses Blowfish encryption with a Diffie-Hellman Key Exchange) which means a normal hacker will not be able to see what the chat is about. The second difference is that SecureIM IS ONLY ALLOWED between TWO TRILLIAN USERS ! i.e.; If a friend of yoursuses ICQ not ICQ through Trillian, the two of you CANNOT have a \"SecureIM\".
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

That the \"Pro\" version AlphaDog? Those preferences are arranged much different from the current \"Basic\" version (\"Basic\" version is what a lot of people are using) ... tho those settings are the mostly the same options as what i directed him to.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Re:

Post by JMEaT »

TechPro wrote:That pretty much makes it impossible to filter out.

Obviously, you've participated in a chat group where the participants are getting spammed. Tough luck.

Myself, I stay a looooong way away from the IM chat rooms for that very reason.
Thanks for the advice, but I've never joined an IM chat of any kind. The only places my UIN is listed is the DBB here and a few other web fourms, most likely how my number got on one of those lists.

Here is my current contact config:

Using the Pro version as well.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

you can't prevent people from requesting to be added to your list.

the only thing you can do is you can requiring them to ask.