Processes not ending when program closed

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Processes not ending when program closed

Post by AceCombat »

bascially i have WinXP Pro, some applications will not terminate the process in task manager and i have to manually kill it, so that i can open the program again later.

is it time for a format?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

It could be a bad service, driver or application causing stuff to not properly terminate. You could try uninstalling all the old applications you don't use anymore and completely dejunking your registry and service startups, which would probably eliminate any applications or services causing it.

Or you could just format. :P
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Out of curiosity, what are the programs that don't terminate?
QuestionableChaos
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by QuestionableChaos »

i have this exact problem with xppro ; mainly with firefox
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

its a .net 2.0 based app for BF2 Server Management, specifically BF2CC. thats the main one.

firefox is another, and nero is the last

Krom wrote:It could be a bad service, driver or application causing stuff to not properly terminate. You could try uninstalling all the old applications you don't use anymore and completely dejunking your registry and service startups, which would probably eliminate any applications or services causing it.

Or you could just format. :P
ive already dejunked registry and i keep my startups to the minimum, unless its needed.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

oops
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Firefox will take a minute or 2 to close on a badly configured and un-maintained system

[BF2CC], the Command and Control Management Tool (2 programs (client and deamon) is just bad code... when you mentioned in uses .net 2.0 that proved it right there (BF2CC uses 1.1), the other relies on python scripts. Vortex behaves better than BF2CC ... that says alot

Secondly... most likley .. AceComeBack you lack the .net updates for windows box your to help deal with it...

ENJOY

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Firefox takes a good 3-5 seconds to \"reset\" itself even after the window goes away, though Steam is a lot worse.

It's all about where the developers put the close window code. Some programs are quite good about closing the window only once the program is unloaded, like Hammer Editor. Others, like UnrealEd, seem to issue the close window first and then spend the next 10 seconds churning in the background.

Because of its high reset time, UnrealEd doesn't fail gracefully when you relaunch it. It will bring up the title graphic, and then silently fail if you tried to launch it while the other seemingly dead instance is cleaning up. I remember at work, I'd run Statbar to monitor my system's RAM. When UnrealEd finally cleared out of memory (800 MB is pretty easy to see), you know it's safe to relaunch.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Well on certain apps the libraries are close only after the program is closed. Ie Access

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

actually the newest BF2CC uses 2.0 alot better than the 1.1 SP1, but anyways.....

and no i dont lack any updates, only thing i dont have is SP3. everything is fully updated, because i just updated it last night on SP2 :roll:
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

If you are going to format anyway, grab a copy of nlite and slipstream SP3 on to your XP CD along with the driver sets you need for your system (or at the bare minimum slipstream your chipset and LAN drivers). Also to save yourself some effort if it comes up, backup your windows activation before you format. And if you are feeling really ambitious, configure your entire install to do it unattended.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

i actually had some problems with SP3 and my games.... they dont like SP3, dont know why but i installed SP3, defragged and dejunked... played games, laggy as hell!! uninstalled SP3, went right back to normal gaming no lag or spikes
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Installing SP3 after the fact, and having a slipstreamed disk are two different things, just do it and if it doesn't work repair install from your SP2 disk. If anything my games have been faster after SP3 than they were before.