Freakin Amazing

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Freakin Amazing

Post by woodchip »

My q6600 cpu OC from 2.4 to 3.3 was running 38c. I down loaded latest bios for MB, flashed them and temp dropped to 26c. How the heck does that happen?
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Running 2 accts of Eve Online and vid settings at max.
CPU is as 37c with only air cooling.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Your CPU is not actually running any cooler than it was before the BIOS flash. If you are interested in something remotely approaching an accurate reading of your core temperature(s), I suggest you download a copy of coretemp from here: http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

The BIOS uses an external temp sensor, the algorithm to derive the CPU temp from that one is notoriously slippery and changes from BIOS release to release. I bet if you look into the ASUS forums for your board you'll find a lot people bitching about it. The closest you can get w/o setting up your own temp meter is probably Real Temp. Note that the DTS diodes on Core CPUs were never ment to measure temperature and thus are very inaccurate as well.
ImageImage
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Running real temp I see:

for the 4 cores.

PC Probe (MB software) shows 27c. So there does appear to be a discrepancy perhaps due to showing only a average temp as PC Probe only exhibits one temp, not 4
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re:

Post by Krom »

woodchip wrote:Running real temp I see:

for the 4 cores.

PC Probe (MB software) shows 27c. So there does appear to be a discrepancy perhaps due to showing only a average temp as PC Probe only exhibits one temp, not 4
Nah, its just plain wrong. The average of 41,38,32 and 34 would be: 36.25
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TechPro »

Krom wrote:Your CPU is not actually running any cooler than it was before the BIOS flash. If you are interested in something remotely approaching an accurate reading of your core temperature(s), I suggest you download a copy of coretemp from here: http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
Nice one. Thanks. Have you posted that one in the Awesome Free Software thread? If not, I could post it.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

I don't believe it has been posted yet.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

\"PC Probe (MB software) shows 27c. So there does appear to be a discrepancy perhaps due to showing only a average temp as PC Probe only exhibits one temp, not 4\"

ya know.. if all it took was a bios update to lower the CPU temp, then I suppose heatsink manufacturers are now out of a job.
Gandalf Stormcrow
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Gandalf Stormcrow »

lol cause you know upgrading firmware allows the CPU to run more efficiently thus decreasing heat by practically 40%.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Re:

Post by Grendel »

woodchip wrote:PC Probe (MB software) shows 27c. So there does appear to be a discrepancy perhaps due to showing only a average temp as PC Probe only exhibits one temp, not 4
PC Probe reads the temperature from a sensor that's mounted on the MB near the CPU. Short of installing your own sensor according to Intels spec (Appendix D) there's no way to get an accurate temperature.
ImageImage