Descent 3 setup failure

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

EngDrewman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Descent 3 setup failure

Post by EngDrewman »

I'm trying to help a friend setup D3 on his computer, but the installer won't start. He is running XP sp3. The game works fine on my computer, also running XP sp3. Any ideas?
QuestionableChaos
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by QuestionableChaos »

by \"the installer won't start\" do you mean that autorun simply isnt loading up the setup? if so you can just open up the disk with explorer (my computer), and start the set up directly

if thats not the case, can you be a tad bit more specific with whats going on? :)
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Set up D3 with your favorite levels, mods, and other stuff, and then burn the folder. No need to ever re-install. Last time I installed D3 was...1999.
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Sedwick »

Testiculese wrote:Set up D3 with your favorite levels, mods, and other stuff, and then burn the folder. No need to ever re-install. Last time I installed D3 was...1999.
X2. I'm running the same installation I had one computer and 2 hard drives ago. I'm even able to run my original D1 installation from 3 computers ago (quite the comedy act; I'll post some video sometime!).
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Descent 3 should install on Win XP SP3 with no problems. I know. I was doing exactly that on Friday.

I'm betting you've got either scratched disk or problems with your CDROM drive.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

what version of D3 does he have? As i recall, there was a later release that didn't work quite right. The jewel case set I think.
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

Use \"Compatibility Mode\"
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

EngDrewman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by EngDrewman »

The computer that it won't install on is my roommate's computer. My computer is also running XP sp3 and the game works fine. It isn't an autorun issue- tried manually running autorun.exe and also setup.exe and nothing happens. I'll try bypassing the installer and copy the Descent 3 folder from my computer to his.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re:

Post by Krom »

EngDrewman wrote:I'll try bypassing the installer and copy the Descent 3 folder from my computer to his.
This should work but with one caveat, if you have Mercenary installed you will need to enter in some registry entries or you will probably get an error about "guidebotred" when D3 starts up. Only if you have that problem, download this file: http://krom.sploitz.com/temp/Descent3Fix.zip, extract the registry file inside and double click it, it will make Mercenary work properly without reinstalling.
EngDrewman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by EngDrewman »

Worked! Thanks guys! :D