Below 8000

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Below 8000

Post by woodchip »

Stock market closed below 8000 for the first time in 6 years. Congrats politicians, keep telling us what you are not going to do. Congrats Obama for not saying you won't raise taxes when you take over. Dink around long enough and there won't be enough people working for you to spread the wealth.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Well, our net worth has now dropped by 30% from it's previous high point and is now back to a March 2003 level. Our retirement accounts no longer make anywhere near enough money now to even worry about having our taxes raised. We're getting poorer by the day.
MD-1118
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by MD-1118 »

Good. Hopefully it won't take much more to get this nation to wake up and smell the faux pas.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Nobody has gotten \"poorer\", we've only learned what was true all along. We as a nation were living on borrowed money for a long time, and the world credit markets were a pyramid scheme. Now that's collapsed and we're all left with a better assessment of what we actually own.

We have 30% less money (as valued in stocks). You can buy a house for 30% less than at peak. *shrug*
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re: Below 8000

Post by Dakatsu »

woodchip wrote:Stock market closed below 8000 for the first time in 6 years. Congrats politicians, keep telling us what you are not going to do. Congrats Obama for not saying you won't raise taxes when you take over. Dink around long enough and there won't be enough people working for you to spread the wealth.
Bush is still in office, Obama has not taken office yet, you cannot blame him for anything occurring before he even takes the office!
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Dakatsu wrote:
woodchip wrote:Stock market closed below 8000 for the first time in 6 years. Congrats politicians, keep telling us what you are not going to do. Congrats Obama for not saying you won't raise taxes when you take over. Dink around long enough and there won't be enough people working for you to spread the wealth.
Bush is still in office, Obama has not taken office yet, you cannot blame him for anything occurring before he even takes the office!
The argument is that people are selling stocks so they don't get hit with a higher tax after Obama and company take over. So yes I can partially blame him.
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

\"Below 8000\" ...

... is a buying opportunity.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Dedman »

dissent wrote:"Below 8000" ...

... is a buying opportunity.
X2!

There's a fire sale going on right now. Take advantage of it.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Can't take advantage if you have no money.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Dedman »

CDN_Merlin wrote:Can't take advantage if you have no money.
That is true at any time.

If you have no money, you shouldn't be investing in stock market in the first place. And as Lothar has already said (and I'm paraphrasing) owning a large stock portfolio isn't the same as having a lot of money.

So from that standpoint, nothing has actually changed.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

CDN_Merlin wrote:Can't take advantage if you have no money.
Take out a second mortgage on your house, buy fundamentally sound but currently undervalued stocks, if they go up you win the big prize if they go down let the government pay your mortgage off and you win second prize...it's the new American way! yea! hoorah.....
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I don't own a house. I actually don't own anything but my car and I'm still paying that off. I'm at a new chapter in my life and I'm starting over from scratch after seperating from my ex. I've got nothing and barely nothing. Only about $20G in debt but it's enough when I don't make enough money to pay it off.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Here's how these days do hurt us all:

Food prices are going up. (Okay, food isn't that much of people's budgets, but it's a valid point.)
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Re:

Post by CDN_Merlin »

snoopy wrote:Here's how these days do hurt us all:

Food prices are going up. (Okay, food isn't that much of people's budgets, but it's a valid point.)
Food isn't that much of a budget? I used to spend abotu $400 a month on food with my ex. We were only 2 people. Imagine a family of 4 or more?
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Well, it just came out that the consumer price index fell by 1% in October, so now we have deflation, EXCEPT for health care, which went up by 40% last year (and still keeps climbing) and of course, energy costs, although gas prices have fallen recently. The U.S. can't really recover as long as we have such massive debt. We're in deep poop now and this may last for decades kiddies, if our previous Great Depression is any indication.
MD-1118
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by MD-1118 »

CDN_Merlin wrote:
snoopy wrote:Here's how these days do hurt us all:

Food isn't that much of a budget? I used to spend abotu $400 a month on food with my ex. We were only 2 people. Imagine a family of 4 or more?
Our family of five usually manages to get by on about a hundred dollars' worth of groceries each month... but then, we're thrifty scrimpers. 8)
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

Conning the people at the food banks by telling them you are destitute does not count!
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

MD-1118
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by MD-1118 »

We've only been to a food bank once, and that was years ago. We're just really good at making money stretch.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Congress can kiss my shiny metal ass, they have 700 billion bucks for the bailout, but nothing for the auto industry.

A Pox!!!
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

Spidey, the domestic US auto industry is not on a competetive cost basis with other automakers -
http://www.heritage.org/Research/Economy/wm2135.cfm

Domestic US manufacturers sell a lot of cars, but they lose money on each unit they sell
http://money.cnn.com/2007/01/26/news/co ... /index.htm
All in all, the report paints a bleak picture. While Nissan (Charts) was making $1800 per vehicle during the first half of 2006, and Toyota and Honda (Charts) racked up $1,400 apiece, nine-month results for Ford saw them losing $1,400 per vehicle - a number that will go up when the fourth quarter's loss is tallied - while DaimlerChrysler (Charts) dropped $1100 and GM $333.
It sucks for the workers. It sucks for the stockholders. Both have been mislead by their respective managements. A bankruptcy with a restructuring may be the only way to save any of the domestic US auto industry.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Yea, Yea, Yea…

Tell me something I don’t already know…
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

If we bail out the auto industry then we should bail out crack addicts and prostitutes that are too old to get work...and typewriter repairmen....all the losers who play lottery scratch off tickets every day....the owners of the Titanic....Milli Vanilli.....
Come on spread it around a little bit!!!

Remember that 700 billion dollar bailout of the Banks? Remember how bad we needed it right away?!?
Well they used the money they got to buy up smaller banks! They still aren't lending anything to the little people but they sure are padding their asset sheets! So now the geniuses in Washington are trying to come up with a new plan...and whenever they do you can bet we'll need to do it right away!.

Thomas Jefferson just rolled over in his grave and threw up a little bit in his mouth.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Top Gun »

Will Robinson wrote: Thomas Jefferson just rolled over in his grave and threw up a little bit in his mouth.
The same Jefferson who doubled the size of our country's territory by nebulously defining an extension of presidential power that didn't even really fool himself? ;)

[/devilsadvocate]
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

And that's bad? No one's doubling anything here, except the amount of **** we're in. :P
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

However you might want to look at it, losing +/- 3 million jobs will destroy this economy and plunge us into a depression. If times were better I'd say let the big 3 file for chapter 11, reorganize and come out stronger. Unfortunately now is not the time to throw the baby out with the bath water. I'll guarantee you this, if congress approves the money, watch the stock market rise and perhaps we will only have a recession. Don't approve it and you'll be living through what your grandparents did back in the 30's.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Will, You Funny...

The auto makers only want a loan, what is so horrible about a loan? Banks aren’t loaning, so where do they go? I have no problem with low interest loans to business. You make it sound like they are giving the money away.

I am against the entire bailout in the first place, but since they are going to do it anyway…they might as well lend some to what is one of the most important industries in the US.

Chrysler repaid their loan back in the day, with interest.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

The entire credit crisis is based on extending credit to those who don't qualify.
The Big 3 don't have a sound business model so a loan doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Let them reorganize, dump their union contracts, loose the protected dealers, Obama is going to give everyone health insurance so they can drop that from the new contracts and most important build a car that people want to buy at a price the Big 3 can make a profit on.

I bet you could go back and find end-of-economy predictions when the Japanese and Germans out performed us in the steel industry too. We survived it.

The market knows the difference between a good product and a mis-managed product that the government is trying to prop up....it isn't going to rebound just because a bunch of politicians dumped tax payer money into a burning building!
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re:

Post by dissent »

Spidey wrote:The auto makers only want a loan, what is so horrible about a loan?
Yeah, but any of the Big Three have to be making money in order to repay a loan. At present all are hemorrhaging cash. Giving them a loan only lets them suffer on life support a little longer before they croak.

Corporate management and the unions have put themselves in this situation where, in order to meet a competetive price point with other manufacturers, the big three have to sell each unit at a loss. Eventually, the heart runs out of blood to pump.

And Woody, when (IF!) they reorganize, they probably wwill lose some jobs, but hardly all. There's still a world market for their brands and products, but they have to bring their costs down to levels that allow them to earn a profit when they sell a vehicle.
Hostile
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hostile »

No auto industry bailout....! Out of the ashes of that fallen industry will come a set of competitive companies and better products. Trying to prop up what they have now is ridiculous at best. Companies have to be allowed to fail for companies to really succeed.....

And we will NOT have a situation like what happened in the 30s no matter how bad this gets.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Hostile wrote:Companies have to be allowed to fail for companies to really succeed.....
That's exactly right!
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Gekko71 »

tunnelcat wrote:Well, it just came out that the consumer price index fell by 1% in October, so now we have deflation, EXCEPT for health care, which went up by 40% last year (and still keeps climbing) and of course, energy costs, although gas prices have fallen recently. The U.S. can't really recover as long as we have such massive debt. We're in deep poop now and this may last for decades kiddies, if our previous Great Depression is any indication.
Not really Tunnelcat - if the CPI had been falling by 3-5% pcm for 6 months straight and was projected to keep on doing so, THEN you would have deflation. A one-month fall is only a correction.

Before anyone calls this semantics, please remember a correction and deflation are radicaly different propositions for an economy. Corrections aren't a major problem, even after a few months of correction. With deflation (and long term deflation in particular)in an economy ...well there's usually only one thing you can do:

...go through its pockets and look for loose change. :(
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

20 billion in loans to the auto industry…NO!

700 billion to the financial industry…Sure.

I don’t see the logic.

I guess the old saying is correct…Money talks, and the workers can walk
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

Gekko71 wrote:...well there's usually only one thing you can do:

...go through its pockets and look for loose change. :(
I'd recognize that line anywhere. :lol:

... Sorry, you may now return to the discussion in progress.
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Cuda68 »

woodchip wrote:
Dakatsu wrote:
The argument is that people are selling stocks so they don't get hit with a higher tax after Obama and company take over. So yes I can partially blame him.
Obama is a Democrat, it is our duty as Republicans to blame him. :P
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Dedman »

Spidey wrote:20 billion in loans to the auto industry…NO!

700 billion to the financial industry…Sure.

I don’t see the logic.

I guess the old saying is correct…Money talks, and the workers can walk
Well, a lot of people were dead set against the 700 billion bailout to begin with. I was so against it, I wrote both my Senators and my Congressman and told them I would vote against them in November if they voted for the bailout. They did, and I kept my promise.
TheCope
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by TheCope »

My 401k is down 37% from this date last year. ★■◆●.
[12:54] <[RIP]Zaphod> but thx for TRYING to make a dilemma :-P
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Oh and Congress, while your bailing out your friends that caused the crisis, and letting the others who are suffering, flap in the wind, why don’t you go and put the icing on the cake, and derank one of the biggest advocates of the auto industry, and replace him with an environmental wacko!

Way to go!

BTW…good for you, Dedman.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Dedmen since the Senate/congress have their own little pension plan, how much you want to bet they didn't see a 30% drop?
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Dedman »

Spidey wrote:BTW…good for you, Dedman.
A lot of good it did. My corrupt Democratic congressman won with nearly 90% of the vote. My Republican Senator is in a run off. I will get to vote against him twice!

I don't care who you are, that's funny right there.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Well it would appear the Dems are finally facing reality:

\"Speaking to CBS News on Sunday, Ms Pelosi said any stimulus package should be aimed at creating jobs immediately, and could contain a tax cut.

\"Something of several hundred billion would have to be some investment into the future, plus creating jobs immediately, and a tax cut,\" she said.\"

Starting to sound like Bush back 2001 no?