Australia - the Movie?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Australia - the Movie?

Post by Gekko71 »

I promised myself I wouldn't do this... ... :roll: ... :P ...:lol:

Has anyone here seen \"Australia\", and if so what did you think? The movie has been hyped to death here down under and has had mixed reviews by Australian critics ...but apparently it's been a flop so far in the US... which is tragic because our National Tourism agency tied their latest campaign to the movie, which I thought was a terrible gamble.

It also touches on a rather dark time in Australian history: ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stolen_Generation ) which could potentially paint a rather bad image of the country.

All opinions welcome.
akula65
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by akula65 »

Haven't seen \"Australia,\" but \"Rabbit-Proof Fence\" already dealt with The Stolen Generation, and I have seen that:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0252444/

Creepy.

I did like the Red Curtain Trilogy (all of it).
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sedwick »

The Onion gave it a C.
akula65
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by akula65 »

I saw it today. It is quite a picture postcard for Australia, although the special effects were kind of aggravating at times. Baz and Co. are consistent with regard to previous films, so if you liked or hated his earlier films, you will probably like or hate this one in much the same way. The beginning moves at a particularly whirlwind pace.

I do think Baz and company deserve credit for not whitewashing things like the policies and attitudes toward Aborigines. It made for a much more interesting film as far as I am concerned. The racial attitudes that were depicted reminded me all too much of my own neck of the woods (Southern U.S.).

It's funny, but I just watched Krzysztof Kieslowski's \"Red\" last night, and it would be hard to imagine two more different films in terms of pace and just about any other yardstick you care to apply, and yet I really enjoyed both works because of the unique way the writers/directors tell their story.
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Gekko71 »

The scenery is lovely true (a great advertisement for my home state if nothing else) :)

...Why the Australian Tourism Commission tied their latest campaign to a movie no-one wants to see is beyond me.

Oh well ... :roll: