supremely skillful crap

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

shaktazuki
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

supremely skillful crap

Post by shaktazuki »

example:

You cannot deny the guitar skills. You also cannot deny the song sucks.

Has anyone else noticed technically accomplished pieces of crap? Games, tech, anything?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Crysis
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Octopus »

adobe illustrator... corel draw is better.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Microsoft ... just about anything.

EDIT: However, that doesn't mean that there are better items that do the same thing. For example, most of the word processors not made by Microsoft and not as good as Microsoft's word processor ... and yet Microsoft's word processor is still highly technically accomplished and still crap. ... yet still good.

I think I'm conflicted...
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Octopus »

TechPro wrote:... just about anything.
Everything talked about in "Ethics and Commentary".
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Roxio Creator…It looks great, it has a lot of features…but it’s crap!
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Octopus »

Spidey wrote:Roxio Creator…It looks great, it has a lot of features…but it’s crap!
No that bloatware was made with the intention only to piss people off. Doesn't count.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I'm not sure the song outright sucks, but it is very average. Still, if it manages to hit that note with you, I'm betting Dream Theater would do far worse (specifically their solos; \"The Dance of Eternity\" is probably the best example I know of that...).

Anyway. I'd mention Oblivion but that isn't really technically accomplished, it's just using technology to make up for mediocre art. Actually I'm kind of short on examples here considering if someone's managed to put the time into every little detail it's unlikely to still be that bad...
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re: supremely skillful crap

Post by Lothar »

shaktazuki wrote:example:

Wow... just... wow. It's like they want to be metal, but they don't know how to scream, so they sing instead. Phenomenal guitar work. Phenomenally horrid song.

Honestly, I've always felt this way about many Unix variants: they're technically impressive, but they suck from a user perspective, until you learn the proper magic incantation. (See this famous rant.)
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Octopus »

My black berry and absinthe (edit: you need to be too drunk to taste stuff, before drinking)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Ah. Lothar nailed it for me; Linux.

Also, I should note not all metal involves screaming; these guys are an example of \"power metal\", which generally doesn't. Bands like Helloween or (I'm told) Kamelot do a much better job of it though.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: supremely skillful crap

Post by Top Gun »

Lothar wrote:
shaktazuki wrote:example:

Wow... just... wow. It's like they want to be metal, but they don't know how to scream, so they sing instead. Phenomenal guitar work. Phenomenally horrid song.
Aw, c'mon now. Song kicks ass (and not just mine in Guitar Hero :P). As Sirius noted, not all metal has to be that screaming death garbage; I personally greatly appreciate a band that knows how to rock out and has a decent set of pipes to boot. (Though I've heard that they're admittedly not all that great live.) And the lyrics capture that 80s-esque don't-really-take-this-seriously vibe perfectly. Massively fun song to sing along with.

More on-topic, I'll go with the band Radiohead. My music-buff friend is always gushing about them, and maybe they have some sort of avant-garde technical merits, but dear lord, the songs he's forced me to sit through have been utter drek as far as plain old listen-ability is concerned. Thom Yorke's creepy falsetto of a voice sets my teeth on edge every time I hear it.
TheCope
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by TheCope »

ahhhh gaaawwwddd.
It's like all you descent people had a baby together and put it in a front loading dryer for 2 hours.
[12:54] <[RIP]Zaphod> but thx for TRYING to make a dilemma :-P
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Octopus »

TheCope wrote:ahhhh gaaawwwddd.
It's like all you descent people had a baby together and put it in a front loading dryer for 2 hours.
You're not "descent people"?
TheCope
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by TheCope »

[12:54] <[RIP]Zaphod> but thx for TRYING to make a dilemma :-P
Theftbot
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Theftbot »

Has anyone else noticed technically accomplished pieces of crap? Games, tech, anything?

AOHELL also something that rhymes DELL
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Octopus »

Theftbot wrote:Has anyone else noticed technically accomplished pieces of crap? Games, tech, anything?
Unreal Tournament 3.... <sarcasm>it came with 5 levels </sarcasm>
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Re:

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Octopus wrote:adobe illustrator... corel draw is better.
Sooooooooooo much better. Love having their HQ in my city.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Logitech Joysticks.
ImageImage
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

The new Star Wars trilogy...and many other \"blockbuster\" movies.

Much of Star Trek since traditional doom and gloom style Scifi writers have been at the helm.
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Octopus »

final fantasy after it left 8-bit
shaktazuki
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by shaktazuki »

Octopus wrote:final fantasy after it left 8-bit
X2

Same with MegaMan.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Every Need For Speed game after Porsche Unleashed.

Quake series
Doom 3
MechWarrior 3 and 4. 2 was so much better
Erasable ink.
Calculator watches
Automatic toilet seat lowering device
Automatic pet food dispenser
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Octopus »

black mesa
GLADOS
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

...oooook.

It comes down to taste I would suppose, but the 16-bit FF games weren't that bad at all. Their random encounter system wasn't even overly trite in those days.

That and I'm not sure how \"technically accomplished\" a lot of that stuff is. Overrated is a different thing entirely.
Firewheel
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Firewheel »

I knew exactly what that first link would be before I even clicked it. Is this for real? Am I really seeing Dragonforce posted here again? I'm almost certain I've seen it once or twice on the DBB before. The whole \"Through The Fire And Flames\" internet craze kinda happened about two years ago.

I think they're a decent band, actually. Sure they're hella dumb and nowhere near as technically skilled as they seem on first impression, but they have a knack for good melodies that sets them apart from most metal bands, which are too obsessed with trying to sound \"heavy\" to make anything interesting enough to listen to. I don't really like this particular song, though.

Top Gun, what Radiohead song was it? I like a few of their albums but I don't think they're anywhere near as great as the music press makes them out to be. They're the band people name-drop when they want you to think their music tastes are hip and cool. :P

They're mostly just overrated though, they don't possess any sort of superior technical skill or anything like that. Although I'll give Johnny Greenwood credit for being able to play a lot of instruments, and with a decent degree of skill.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Their \"magnum opus\" Paranoid Android, mostly. The best way I could describe it after listening to the whole thing was pure musical schizophrenia. What was worse, a chunk of it was used as the ending theme to a particular anime series I was watching, so I had to hear the damned thing some twenty-something times. :P