Church music

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Church music

Post by Bet51987 »

We sang this song several times during practice and finally during today's communion and the parishioners loved it so much that we're going to sing it every Sunday. We have an expensive piano/organ with a good guy playing it and a chorus of seven. The song is called \"Gifts of Bread and Wine\" and it's about half way down on the list where you can click and listen to the entire song or download it for your personal use. Watching my priest hold up the Eucharist while we sang that song gave me the chills. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do. (Don't be confused with a similar title toward the top of the list.)

http://choralmusic.com/church_communion.htm

Bee
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Octopus »

yup
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

I like it. So it's sung before the Eucharist? (E.g \"Communion\", the Christian tradition of bread and wine, for those who aren't familiar with the term.) By the choir, or the congregation as a whole?
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

My priest absolutely loves spiritual music to the point that we sing before mass begins, throughout the service, and as people are leaving, whether it be in normal voice or subdued when he needs to be heard. He wants the choir to keep singing while he speaks during the mass with the exception of the sermon where we remain quiet. He especially wants us to increase intensity when he raises the Eucharist to amplify it's meaning. His church is always packed. :)

We sing several songs during the Mass but sang that song from the offertory throughout the communion and lengthen it to match the amount of people receiving communion. I'm part of the 11AM choir but sometimes do both the 10 and 11. At Christmas I do midnight too. The congregation does not sing except when it's part of the service.

Bee
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Interesting. One of the things I miss from our church back in Oklahoma is the pastor arranging some congregational music to the observance being made - e.g. one particularly reverent piece about word and truth just before the reading of scripture.

It's really amazing how music and song can bring a congregation together. :)
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Lovely! Thanks for the link!
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

We often have Gospel music at my church... I've found that's pretty much the only genre where I always like the songs (I usually hate singing).
Jesus Freak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Jesus Freak »

Good song. My parents always pick churches with good music. I don't think there's anything wrong with lots of good music as long as it is meant to glorify God.
EngDrewman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by EngDrewman »

Neat song! I do miss having this stuff in newer, contemporary church services. ;)

Too bad HTML is disabled or I could just embed the song in a flash mp3 player :cry: