Real life 6DOF

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Real life 6DOF

Post by Gekko71 »

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=695774

.... :lol: ....

Okay - I see a few ways to view this...

1. The world just go t really F****g scarier when you contemplate weapons like this being used in the field. (very scary stuff :shock: )

2. The US Military has finally lost its mind if it thinks this will stop a missile. (stupid - but again - scarey :shock: :roll: )

3. 6DOF flight is now a scientific reality (very scary - or very fun! - no, scary! - no, fun! erk! :oops: :P :? :twisted: )

This thing SLIDES for crying out loud!! :twisted: :twisted:

See for yourself ... :P
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Not really 6DoF, but scary nonetheless...
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re: Real life 6DOF

Post by Dakatsu »

Gekko71 wrote:2. The US Military has finally lost its mind if it thinks this will stop a missile. (stupid - but again - scarey :shock: :roll: )
qft
President-elect Barack Obama has publically criticised the highly complex program, which will cost an estimatedA$80.6 billion between 2004 and 2009, saying he would not "weaponise space".
Who here thinks if we are still around that space weapons are inevitable?
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Octopus »

Has no one else seen this device before? Around the 90s I saw this, or something very similar, presented as a tool used for reconnaissance missions. They said it would have to be more fuel efficient and be silent. It looks like they gave up on that...
shaktazuki
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by shaktazuki »

Here's what I don't get. From my knowledge of ICBMs, a MIRV-tipped missile will eject chaff, or form chaff from, say, the conventionally exploded missile shell after release of the warheads. to serve as decoys along with the warheads. I can't imagine that these smart rocks, as I think they're called, will be deployed in sufficient numbers to catch the majorty of the incoming bombs, and this will be compounded because there is not a good way to differentiate chaff from similarly sized warheads. Why go to the expense of creating them, then?

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.
Duck: “So, what’s that horn for?”

Unicorn: “Oh, you know, to stab my foe. I know, that sounds pretty harsh and brutal, or whatever. And it grants wishes! It also just looks good on a unicorn, *rawr*.”
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Gek, I guess they have lost their mind. That footage looks more like some Halflife 2 footage than anything real.

What a waste of money.

And Dak. I guess Obama feels that everything is just soooo warm and fuzzy here on GROUND that space will just be utopia. Still no need to rush into it until it's needed. (just being rhetorical. ;) )
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Octopus »

When we have space terrorists, he'll change his mind.
Jesus Freak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Jesus Freak »

That looks very unimpressive. I'm pretty sure I could lead the development of a similar murder weapon for 1/100th the cost. I think a shotgun or missile hit would destroy the piece of junk.
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Octopus »

...or party spray... Water balloons... base ball bat.