Per Pixel Lighting and Welded Vertices

The artists and authors forum! NOTE: © original author - do not use w/out consent!

Moderators: MetalBeast, Capm

Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Per Pixel Lighting and Welded Vertices

Post by Dakatsu »

In vertex lighting, it was very important to weld vertices and such. In per pixel lighting, could I actually have two seperate \"sub-meshes\". For example, if I wanted a screw, could I put a hemisphere mesh aligned with a two triangle plane without any loss of lighting detail.

If you can understand this, please answer it, but if I need a better explanation I can show a graphical one :P
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Octopus »

for sm in unrealed3?
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Dakatsu »

Octopus wrote:for sm in unrealed3?
Yeah, or similar (if I can get a better system). I probably plan on using the UT3 expansion.

An example would be, lets say I am making a tree. I make the tree trunk, then I make a seperate branch model, which I just "stick" into the tree itself.

(it's actually a rifle, but that would be harder to explain)
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Unreal Engine 3 should be fine with \"open\" models like that, provided that you don't use the stencil shadows option. By default, the engine uses modulated shadows, so you shouldn't run into this problem unless you manually override the static mesh to use stencil shadows. If you want to use those, make sure the model is watertight and welded.

If you are making a rifle, though, I suspect it would be best to keep it as one mesh unless there's some big reason you don't want to. Aside from that, if this isn't a static prop for a level, you're probably going to want to make it a SkeletalMesh, not a StaticMesh.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

It's mainly for the scope. The deal is the rear window sight actually blocks the scope view, so the idea is that it could be \"popped off\" the rifle or something when the scope is on. These are the rifle (albeit not in PPL).
ImageImage
(First one is the Assault Rifle, second is the Carbine version, in case you wondered about the different stock and barrel length)

It's also going to be used for the barrel for the carbine, in terms of all I have to do is push the barrel into the rifle until I'm fine with it.

Speaking of UE3, anyone with 3dsmax (9) know how to animate sub-objects. It just won't work for me! It looks fine in Max, but doesn't animate in UnrealEd! (well, not too important now as I am waiting for a new UE3 game, but still would be nice to know)