upgrade options

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

upgrade options

Post by ReadyMan »

I'm thinking of ugprading my 3 year old system. It's running pretty well, but I'm wondering what my options might be.
I'm currently running:
a DFI Lan Party NForce4 SLI-DR Audio/GB-LAN
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Dual-Core 1MB
and 2 GB (2 pcs 1GB) OCZ dual channel platinum DDR

Will one of the phenom chips work with my current mb? or I guess I should ask, what options do I have for upgrading the CPU of my system, without changing out the MB?

and if I'm keeping this MB, I guess I should upgrade to 4GB of RAM (still running xp, and hope to do so for a long while yet). I have to match the RAM, right?
Newegg has 2GB for $35 (after a rebate). Is this the same RAM that I currently have?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820227210

Thanks!
RM
Fighting villains is what I do!
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

No. you wanty upgrade, you buy new board, new cpu, and new ram. Phenom II needs an AM2+ slot.
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

I can be more specific on the ram:
DDR (400)3200 - 2GB DDR (2 pcs 1GB)OCZ

edit--just saw your response.
So is there any faster CPU that I can slap into this MB?

I've seached but cant find what I'm looking for. I remember when buying the 4400 x2 that the FX series were an option....
I guess it comes down to, what is the most power I can get out of my current mb, or is it really worth it at all price wise...
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

It has to be a socket 939 chip, and I think you already have the fastest one made.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

You're talking a 3 year old platform here that is completely at a dead end on the upgrade path. Actually I'd wager my 2 year old Core 2 Duo system is faster than anything you can fit in your board. :P

Very soon there should be a good time to be shopping for a new setup because with AMD's launch of the Phenom II, Intel is highly likely to ruin the party with price cuts to the Core 2 Quad 9550 which will make it a very attractive CPU. Compatible LGA775 motherboards are very mature, the platform is extremely well tested and proven reliable without being too old to keep up. And if you aim for a DDR2 motherboard you can easily get 8 GB or more of memory because it is so cheap.

If I was shopping for an upgrade right now, I would be looking at a Core 2 Quad, an Intel chipset DDR2 board, 4-8 GB of memory, and a Geforce GTX 260 or 280 series card.

Also from personal experience, XP (32 bit) on 4 GB is no different from 2 GB, which is only slightly better than 1 GB. The difference made by a faster hard drive is night and day more noticeable than any amount of memory after 2 GB.
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

That sounds like the reasonable way to go Krom. I was hoping to eak a bit more out of this system, but it's done its job. Actually, it's still fast enough (with the 8800gt I got a few months back) that I dont have any slow downs with anything (only playing Sins of a Solar Empire right now, and I have it maxed out on all graphic options).
So, even for $35, the extra ram wouldnt do much, even for gaming?

I guess another 6 months or so should shake down the quad core prices and I'll probably just upgrade the MB/CPU/RAM at that time...and a new Geforce if i can afford it.
Thanks!
captain_twinkie
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by captain_twinkie »

I just added that ram to my system, I have seen slight improvements in games, nothing out of the norm, but I have seen huge improvements when it comes to running virtual machines, which I do alot of.
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by ReadyMan »

Krom wrote: Very soon there should be a good time to be shopping for a new setup because with AMD's launch of the Phenom II, Intel is highly likely to ruin the party with price cuts to the Core 2 Quad 9550 which will make it a very attractive CPU.

If I was shopping for an upgrade right now, I would be looking at a Core 2 Quad, an Intel chipset DDR2 board, 4-8 GB of memory, and a Geforce GTX 260 or 280 series card.
I just got the go ahead to upgrade my system. I can scratch together about $600 (maybe $700). With that in mind, what do you recommend (specific chip/board/memory)?
I have an 8800GT in my system, which seems to be quite sufficient atm, so I guess I could get a new video card later down the road if I cant fit it into this upgrade....
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

In that case, blow it all on the chip, board, memory and PSU, keep the 8800 GT. The added horsepower of a Core 2 Quad or greater will pay off a year or so down the road when you can pair it up with a much more powerful video card without breaking the bank.

At the moment I don't have any specific recommendations since I haven't really been watching, but I would plan on spending more towards the $200 range for a top quality motherboard (they have been getting steadily more expensive the last few years). I'm pretty sure a Core i7 system coming together and doing it well is still more or less hopeless on $600-700 even if its only the chip, board, memory and PSU but you can still look and see.

If you really want to go all out though, then by all means start saving now and plan to make your move more towards the second half of 09. Not for any specific part releases but just because ~6 months of smart saving and planning can build a pretty impressive system for most people. When I do a complete build I usually start researching and saving 6-9 months in advance, paying special attention to roadmaps and pricing from all the major brands.
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

Is the core i7 that much of an upgrade over a quad core 9550?

I dont think I'll need a PSU, because I just bought one to replace the one that burned out...so that saves a little $.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Yeah, the Core i7 chips are clearly faster than Core 2 parts, but because of that there is really zero competition in their market segment. So Intel can charge whatever they please for them which is overall bad news for us mortals.
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDeal ... mbo.155907
That's a combo i7 cpu and mb for $550
The cpu is just under $300, which is about $15 more than a 9550 for some reason.

I have no idea what to look for with this, I'm just searching newegg at this point.

here's the i7 920 CPU link for $294.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductRe ... 6819115202

Apparently it really overclocks well (though I dont know anything about OC'ing). I think if I match a MB to this and some memory (going to go with 8 gigs), I've got what I need. (I've got a monster cooler on my current x2 4400, so I'll just use that to cool the i7).
I'm assuming the i7 is the next jump up, and so with a decent MB, I should be able to stick another CPU on this board down the road when the prices drop (instead of waiting so long like I did this time and having a dead end board). This as opposed to buying a 9550 and a MB, that will not be upgradeable to the new i7 chips...do I have that right?

Anyone have any recommendations for a MB and RAM?
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

that MB you currently have is optimized for overclocking.

overclock and see how much more you can get out of it.
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

I've got the bug bad for the upgrade, so I dont think I'll be OC'ing this system. I wont get the speed I want out of it anyway...

I have a zalman cooler on my CPU (AMD x2 4400), will this work as a cooler for a core 2 quad 9550 (or an i7 for that matter)?
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Not unless it came w/ the mounting material for a specific CPU, they are all different.
ImageImage
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Correct, coolers need different mounting hardware for all the different sockets, like for instance my favorite LGA775 cooler won't work on AM2/2+/3 or the i7 LGA1366.
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

crud! I guess I'll have to get a cooler as well then. From what I've read, the i7 cooler is pretty cheap, and even if I dont OC it, I dont want any overheating problems.
Thanks!

edit--I read that the Asus P6T mb will fit a LGA775 cooler....however, my DFI NForce4 MB isnt LGA775 (is it?)
If it is, then my Zalman will work!
DarkShadow
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by DarkShadow »

fliptw wrote:It has to be a socket 939 chip, and I think you already have the fastest one made.
newegg.com wrote:Brand DFI
Model Lan Party NForce4 SLI-DR
Supported CPU
CPU Socket Type 939
so no it is not a LGA775 it is a socket 939
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

heh, yeah....I just dont know what a 775 mb is built like (and consequently if it's similar enough to a 939 socket).
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_939

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_T

The most visible difference between the sockets is that socket 939 is Pin Grid Array type socket and LGA775 is a Land Grid Array type socket. For all the juicy details...read the Wikipedia articles. :P
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

thanks Krom!
This upgrade's going to require another cooler :|