3D gaming!

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

3D gaming!

Post by Tunnelcat »

Nvidia may finally have a less nauseous 3D gaming solution. The good part is that most recent PC games that use depth rendering will benefit. The bad part is that you'll need a monitor with a refresh rate of 120 times per second instead of the more common 60, a newer high-end graphics card, Windows Vista and the special software and glasses for it to work.

http://tinyurl.com/avnrp4
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Yeah I read an article on this a few weeks back, it of course requires a pair of glasses to work but the effect should be quite impressive. Although it is quite an expensive proposition to get it working in the first place, since very few screens even support the 120 Hz refresh rate and dual link DVI required to deliver it.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re: 3D gaming!

Post by Dakatsu »

tunnelcat wrote:Nvidia may finally have a less nauseous 3D gaming solution.
tunnelcat wrote:you'll need... Windows Vista
That's more nauseating than anything on the entire market! :D
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sedwick »

I had something like this 8 years ago called Cyber3DVision or something like that. Got these shutter glasses from a vendor at the Super Computer Sale, installed the driver, plugged it into the video card, fired up D3, hit Ctrl-T and boom, 3D mines. But several months later (maybe when I moved to XP) the driver wouldn't install, and I haven't been able to use it since.
SuperSheep
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by SuperSheep »

So basically, they are shutter glasses. Big deal. This technology has been around a long time and all NVidia has done is to increase the frequency and expense.

This does not make crystal clear 3D as the viewers eyes still must adjust for the difference between the actual and perceived distance to object, hence, eye strain.

I for one won't be investing any more money in anything that requires my eyes to do work. We have the technology to remove the blur by using eye tracking and optics, but we keep getting 80's technology and told it's superior.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Primarily it's cheap.. ;)
ImageImage
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Re: 3D gaming!

Post by AceCombat »

Dakatsu wrote:
tunnelcat wrote:Nvidia may finally have a less nauseous 3D gaming solution.
tunnelcat wrote:you'll need... Windows Vista
That's more nauseating than anything on the entire market! :D
ahhaahahahaha!
Sllik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sllik »

A co-worker and fellow gamer I know sunk the money for both the new monitor and glasses.. and has been gushing about it every since. I was growing tired of him constantly elaborating on how awesome LOTRO graphics were compared to WoW, but now he won't play anything else but WoW and swears he'll never play another MMO that doesn't support this technology.

I take most of his opinions with a grain of salt, but he's usually not smoking crack when he starts gushing about something. When things slow down at work, he intends to bring his whole rig into the office to let us see it first-hand. I'll have more genuine feedback, then.