Kali dead - any D1 or D2 Servers?

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Miserlou
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Kali dead - any D1 or D2 Servers?

Post by Miserlou »

Hey

So Gog.com is marketing D1 and D2, and I picked up copies and they run great on Vista. (I was a big fan of the originals way back when.)

Anyway, I registered for a Kali account, and it took my credit card and issued me keys. Too bad the take-the-money part of the system is all that works. The host-the-games part of it is dead. The tracker and servers are all gone. Then I noticed that the forums have been dead for a year. So I canceled the payment.

Then I found this place. I can see a D3 server, but are there any D1/D2 servers anywhere?

Thanks
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

unfortunately, D1 and dD2 are not \"server based\" games. they are peer to peer. That is they were designed for LAN.

Check the bottom Sticky out on this forum HERE for info on where and how to find games.

Best way now is to get on an IRC chat that's listed and arrange a game via the UDP function in one of the newer Descent mods at
D2x-XL or Descent Rebirth

Both are free. Both have good support.

Welcome! btw and sorry about Kali.

Can anyone confirm this? I haven't had it installed for almost a year now.
Miserlou
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Miserlou »

Sigh. The D2X-Xl mod is failing because Vista refuses to change the folder perms to read/write.

I change them, I'm administrator, but they revert every time.

Anybody run into this?
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

yeah, Vista is causing all sorts of problems for Descent. Some are having trouble. some are not.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

There are still games to be had on kali.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re:

Post by TigerRaptor »

Miserlou wrote:Sigh. The D2X-Xl mod is failing because Vista refuses to change the folder perms to read/write.

I change them, I'm administrator, but they revert every time.

Anybody run into this?
Try this.
Take Ownership
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

Miserlou,
Come into Descent server right around 4-7pm eastern. There are usually a few kids that come in and play a few games.
.eK.Warlord
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Kali rox

Post by .eK.Warlord »

I play d1 d2 on Kali EVERYDAY,who ever said theirs no descent on kali..isnt looking.
War
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by BUBBALOU »

Miserlou wrote:Sigh. The D2X-Xl mod is failing because Vista refuses to change the folder perms to read/write.......
why do you run that garbage....over 5,000 downloads last year the site says... um....4 revisions a day and a new build everyother day... do the math . . . . . that's 6.89 people per year downloading every update...... utter nonsense.

Get a stable build, Get Rebirth
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Since 1.14 the number has been a patch every day and a half, not multiple a day. Nonetheless, the rate is higher than I thought it was.

D2X-XL is pretty stable, that said... basically, since 1.14 there have been only one or two issues that caused significant problems I think.

The Vista issue I'm not sure about though. :( I run it on Win7 and don't get the folder problems, but maybe Tiger has it. I wouldn't be too sure even switching Descent 2 versions will fix it, since they all need to write to most of the folders.