Graphic Tablets?

The artists and authors forum! NOTE: © original author - do not use w/out consent!

Moderators: MetalBeast, Capm

CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Graphic Tablets?

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Anyone here use them? If so, what brand and what do and don't like about them?
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Octopus »

I've had issues with every tablet/stylus type device except for those made by wacom. Cursor lag, pressure sensitivity levels, and handy features, sums up everything, that requires perfect performance, in a digital drawing HID.
My friend who has been drawing anime characters for almost 20 years, as a hobby, just made the switch to the cheapest wacom tablet on the market. He says it was weird at first but now speeds up the process. Before he would draw everything on paper, then color in photoshop. Now he does everything in photoshop.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

i have been using Wacom for over 15 years There is no LAG... mr Isaacpuss
Octopus wrote:I've had issues with every tablet/stylus type device. Cursor lag, pressure sensitivity levels, and handy features, sums up everything, that requires perfect performance, in a digital drawing HID.
Just starting out 512 levels is fine
Experienced 1024 levels if you need it and have no clue of shortcut keys

Buttons littering your tablet work area - utterly USELESS, SOFTWARE FOR TABLETS USELESS (except drivers)

For your first do not spend more than $100 a "bamboo will be fine", it will take you at least 6 months to get adjusted to it (well at least for me I have been doing art for over 35 years (pen/pencil/watercolor/arylic/oil/pastel/conte) and learning to draw not while looking at your media took some getting used to

Now I use an old Graphire USB while on the road with my laptop as my second one

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

I have one of those. It works great. You just need to tweek in your pressure (you can hover if you want)

It even works with Gimp, but that takes a little fanagleing.

I've had a bamboo (the more expensive model)for a while and it nice. But depending on what your App is, you might want to go with a larger model.
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Octopus »

BUBBALOU wrote:i have been using Wacom for over 15 years There is no LAG... mr Isaacpuss
Reading's hard, eh?
Octopus wrote:I've had issues with every tablet/stylus type device except for those made by wacom.
HighOctane_Jared
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by HighOctane_Jared »

I use a Wacom Intuos3 tablet. After doing a texture that had a million scratches in it, and my hand hurt, I invested in it. Only took me a couple days to get used to it.

As for saying that the buttons are useless, I absolute disagree. I have my buttons setup to pan, ALT click, or undo in PS. I used to use it in Mudbox as well.

I don't imagine I need the 1024 levels of pressure, but I am certainly pleased with it. Owned it for around 3 years now. Just make sure your hand doesn't get sweaty... your wrist will start to \"stick\" to the tablet, making it a royal pain to draw smoothly.
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Octopus »

Hello Jared! 'Long time no see.'
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Thanks for all the info. This will be for my 9 yr old who loves drawing.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

The bamboo comes with some software that will make it easy for kids to use. Check it out on Wacom's site.

...incidentally, they pronounce it \"waa-kum\" o_0 .. not \"way-kom\".
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Octopus »

CDN_Merlin wrote:Thanks for all the info. This will be for my 9 yr old who loves drawing.
I've seen wacom tablets with dents in them because people press too hard or stab at them. Make sure the 9 year old knows the Wacom gets hurt easily.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

For a 9 yr old, she's pretty amazing when it comes to things like that. She's careful about things that are breakable and is good all around.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by BUBBALOU »

HighOctane_Jared wrote:As for saying that the buttons are useless, I absolute disagree. I have my buttons setup to pan, ALT click, or undo in PS. I used to use it in Mudbox as well.
So you use the buttons on the tablet(not the pen) instead of "Context Key" "SPACE" and "CTRL+Z" or "CTRL+ALT+Z"

I'm so used to shortcut keys, happens without thinking

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

HERE is the Bamboo page. Watch the vid in the upper right hand corner.

HERE is a pad by Fisher-Price specifically for young children. It's a good deal less expensive. HERE it is on thier site.

Cheers! :)
HighOctane_Jared
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by HighOctane_Jared »

Octopus wrote:Hello Jared! 'Long time no see.'
Hey all - been a while, I check this forum every few months. Don't really work for uplink anymore though...

So you use the buttons on the tablet(not the pen) instead of "Context Key" "SPACE" and "CTRL+Z" or "CTRL+ALT+Z"
Just when using my actual tablet. I rest the tablet on my lap, and reaching over and pressing the keyboard is annoying (though i have to do it occasionally). I figure if they made shortcut buttons, I might as well use it.

The Pan and Zoom is what I def use most.
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

I use a Wacom tablet both at work and home. I've never seen anyone use another brand actually.

At work we have the massive Intuos A3 tablets, since compared to broadcasting equipment they're really quite cheap. At home I use a Graphire 6x8 - smaller surface area but both work just fine. No gripes at all.
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Octopus »

BUBBALOU, you're an idiot. You changed my quote? The original has never been edited. You're a special type of dumb.