555 pound kid!

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

555 pound kid!

Post by Duper »

And Mom being brought up on neglect charges

Heard about this on a talk show. Wow. Got to ask yourself (or not) how a kid gets to be THAT big. Oh, he's 14.
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

Timmy put down the damn berger and frys.

But that's what parents do now give the kids what they want when they want it. Hell u can't even spank a kid any more
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Octopus »

No I'm rooting for the mom and her hobby. You might play 'lets see how many marbles fit in my mouth'.
She asked, 'how much crap can I fit in this kid'. It was just harmless boredom.
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

I am not seeing anything about how the child was neglected. I'm trying to keep an open mind to the possibility that the kid was obese due to something being very wrong with his body, not just how he was fed.

Honestly, I wouldn't allow my kids eat junk most of the time. They would be on a fairly decent healthy eating meals (and hamburger helper meals will be used sparingly, too :P). If the kid even get to 15 pounds overweight, I'd be re-evaluating how he is eating and how much exercise he's getting. Otherwise, if he's eating right and getting enough exercise, I'd take him to the doctor and find out what is causing the weight gain.

Hope the kid's doing better.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Re:

Post by Grendel »

Kiran wrote:I am not seeing anything about how the child was neglected. I'm trying to keep an open mind to the possibility that the kid was obese due to something being very wrong with his body, not just how he was fed.
Should have seen a doc if that's the case..
ImageImage
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

yeah, this kind of a \"gray\" area.

Obviously, this isn't a problem that's occurred over the last week or even the last year. This kid has probably been heavy his whole life; and probably extremely obese in the last 4 years. Vid games and TV keeping this kid company while Mom worked only mad the problem worse.

Neglect? hmm. I guess you need to examine the definition of the word a bit more. In the strictest sense of the word, I would say so, but in its day to day connotation where \"utter disregard and/or care for..\" I don't think so. More like Mom gets caught up in day to day worries and work and is tired and very likely struggling with depression. It's hard to get motivated under those circumstances.

Does that excuse her? erm.. not really, but there are times when you need to take real life parameters into consideration. Perhaps aggressive training and counseling would be a more productive option rather than throwing another useless human away behind bars thus protecting society from her .[/sarcasm] I don't see where that solution would benefit anyone. You might argue that counceling and training her using state dollars is unfair, but since we've already gone down the road and drug her into the system and are trying to put her behind bars, we, as tax payers are going to be paying for her incarceration for a much longer period of time and at a much higher cost.

Which is the better solution?
Should the State sue McDonalds? :roll:
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I have an eating disorder, my hand keeps shoving food in my mouth.

This is a case of neglect if I ever saw one.

Excuses don’t change a thing.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Neither does cookie cutter answers.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I see, sorry I don’t have anything profound to add.
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

Heh Spidey,
I think I might have an eating disorder too... I really really enjoy food and would love to eat just for the sake of eating.

However, I'm too aware of how overweight I would get if I allowed myself to eat as much as I feel like. Often, I would have to picture myself being overweight everytime I want to eat even when I am not hungry. It takes a lot of self control to tell myself \"no\".
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Yes indeed.