Can't run or install Descent ][ on Vista x64

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

sarcaz
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Can't run or install Descent ][ on Vista x64

Post by sarcaz »

Has anyone else had this problem? I am running Vista 64-bit.

I can't run the installer or the game. The error is:

\"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher.\"

I've installed successfully in Windows XP 32-bit and copied the files over, but it won't run even in compatibility mode. I get the same error as with the installer.

I have my original discs for D2 and also for D2: Vertigo Series. I am quickly closing in towards buying on GOG. I have not yet been able to experience D2X-Rebirth but am looking forward to it after recently discovering it.

Shout outs to all the old skool D2 guys. :)
Kali #8525.. damned if I know my password though.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

You don't have to install D2 to get D2X-Rebirth working, just read the Readme-D2X text file and copy only the necessary files off the CD. All the files you need (except the movies) are stored in the descent2.sow archive file on the CD. Just grab yourself something that can extract an ARJ archive (7-Zip should be able to do it) and extract the needed files to the D2X-Rebirth folder.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Hey thanks Krom. I was wondering what little utility would extract those essential files from the Descent II CD's.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

No promises, 7-Zip is fairly new, and the D2 CDs are pretty old. I haven't tested it out myself to see if it actually works because I'd have to find my D2 CD and that's no small feat. But ARJ support is in 7-Zip so its at least plausible. :P

Edit: scratch that, I found a CD and it works. :P
sarcaz
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by sarcaz »

Awesome, thanks guys. I'll take a look. Perhaps I'll find out if I need to run this patch too.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

If you have Vertigo, there should be no reason to have to run the patch since the Vertigo CD should have all the necessary 1.2 datafiles.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Sarcaz, email Jay@kali.net with your kali info and he should be able to give you your kali codes.