google os for pc?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

google os for pc?

Post by Octopus »

http://www.haiku-os.org/

very long vid on haiku
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... stem&hl=en

---
There are rumors on google news that apple is getting annoyed at google for crossing more \"apple\" territory. My opinion: Android still has yet to make a dent on anyone's earnings. Google chrome doesn't support \"check boxes\". And I have a list of issues with Gmail. Haiku should live up to google's standard... being \"neat\". Will it blow OS X out of the water? Neh.. Go ubuntu.
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

It'll take more than a decade for it to become widely supported and developed for, even if it doesn't flop, and even then, I doubt it'll be little more than competition for Mac OS, there's already too many OS's out there, the last thing we need is another obscure OS popping up on machines thats not compatible with anything else.

I'm not holding my breath.
--------------
----------
---Capm
http://www.midnightsquadron.com
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

It won't be for the desktop PC... there's no reason to install it on anything but a gutless wonder, because there won't be any native apps to use the power anyway. Just the browser, that's it.

Edit: Er, sorry, I was thinking of another OS - the one that has been making headlines recently. This one seems to be something entirely different.
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Octopus »

It looks like Haiku can run exe files but still requires games and large programs to be ported for it.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be more evil than MS is. Google's info-gathering on users has been a bit of an issue. Being in total control of your machine would be kinda scary if they don't say what exactly they collect in the way of data usage- particularly if the OS is given away for free.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Octopus »

They say it's only free if you buy it with a computer. But I'm willing to bet they make it free to download if it reports your activity for statics sales.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

the google blog mentions they are open sourcing their OS later this year, and it is a free one.

Netbooks with the new OS will be available in 2010.
Sllik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sllik »

It's been known for over 2 years that Google has had an internal-only distro of their own, but they've never come out and publicly stated that they were intending to jump into the OS market.

This development (now that it's finally here) has excited me more than any other bit of news in the past 10 years in the technology sector, because it will very likely single-handedly insure that game developers start seriously considering how best to develop for multiple operating systems instead of M$ having a stranglehold on the PC.

Do not underestimate the boundless power of a Google-backed Open-Source licensed operating system choice for the world. A LOT of people will go berserk for it. And if Google Apps and Google Summer of Code venues are any indication, the number of coders developing apps that leverage the power of Haiku will be overwhelming.

This WILL be huge.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

If Haiku will be huge, why have I only heard of it from academic research projects into desktop window management from ... about two years ago? They're kind of dragging their heels aren't they?

Google is usually pretty well-suited to make stuff happen, so I'm not going to rule out that they could figure out how to make an open-source OS ecosystem that isn't as dysfunctional as that of Linux; it would be interesting to see how though.

P.S. The Chrome OS is not going to support games, for the record, but there's nothing to say Haiku couldn't.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I find this odd, Google is into people using the “cloud”, do they really think MS is going to go away, and will dominate both worlds.
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Octopus »

They're going to have to do something ubuntu can't to climb up there with windows and osx: Pay up.
The Adobe's, Autodesk's, and Midway's of the world need to run great on Haiku before people start running to it. The gimp and blender may be good for Ubuntu but for hard core video composting and drafting you either need a mac or pc. Once Haiku caters that way, the rest of the market is soon \"ta faller\". The good news is Haiku apps might be very close to Windows. In fact I think they said the \"library\" is what's similar (or something I don't know anything about). My guess is, it won't cost them tons to go from \"oranges\" to \"mandarins\".
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Go go cloud computing!