Lost my job.

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Lost my job.

Post by Isaac »

So our supervisor walks into the office and yells, \"I was told this morning we're all out of money. This is the last day everyone here will be working.\"

This is my second state temp job and so far this is how they all end.
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

Bogus. :(
Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

here's a thought: don't work as a temp.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by snoopy »

Beowulf wrote:here's a thought: don't work as a temp.
Easy for you to say. When all there is available out there is temp jobs, you take a temp job.
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Gekko71 »

Bad Luck - hope something better pops up soon. :(
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

Hopefully something comes along soon.
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Thank you everyone.
CORD
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by CORD »

Not throw insult after injury, but temp means just that....temporary.

Sorry you're unemployed isaac. Good luck hunting down a new job.
Don't be so openminded that your brains fall out.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

It's the \"running out of money\" comment I thought was funny. I am aware of what temp means. But thanks anyway.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Good luck man. I know how hard it is to lose a job.
Admiral Thrawn
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Admiral Thrawn »

Man, I was only a dick in game, but some of you guys, wow! Full time job! hehehe.

I feel you man, working temp jobs until you find something permanent, and sometimes having the temp job end before you find something more secure. That was a stressful 16 months for me when I went through that. Hang in there man!
Another Soul Korrupted
http://www.korrupted.net
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Isaac, what are your skills and what did you do as a temp?
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Primarily 3d animation, digital painting, and vertex art. But I've grown tired trying to find work with these skills.
But I'm good at Excel spreadsheet programs. (I'm starting to like 'openoffice')
The three most recent jobs were for a voluntary benefits company, then Medicaid and Medicare customer service stuff (lots of angry people), and application processing for Texas DPS.
VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by VonVulcan »

I think it is SOP for new hires in most state/city jobs to be classified as temps. That is how it works in the city of Tacoma where my son-in-law works. Get's your foot in the door. If they like you, it could work into something permanent. But since the economy took a major dump, I expect it will be harder. The labor jobs anyway. I suppose the professional positions would be different. Hang in there Issac. Try to be a standout, go above and beyond. Hustle and really try hard. That's what they are looking for in the labor jobs.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

VonVulcan wrote:Try to be a standout, go above and beyond. Hustle and really try hard.
Just to toot my horn a bit,..
State jobs like to rank their workers from "most productive" to "least" and I'm on top of the list 99% of the time. My last job had me on top and 3x more productive than the next highest worker.
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Gekko71 »

Isaac wrote:Primarily 3d animation, digital painting, and vertex art. But I've grown tired trying to find work with these skills.
Ever considered starting your own business? If no one will hire you to do what you love, maybe you need to do so yourself.

Worked for me. :mrgreen:
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Yeah, I feel it too. I was supposed to start a job yesterday, in fact risked everything I have going for me for it. Moved my college to the Spring semester so I could train, got a $2500 lease and payed $590 up front for an apartment. I had to move the day before the first day of work and the manager of the apartment complex was never told that I was moving in so I called at 10:00 A.M. Monday morning to make sure my room was ready and that I could get a key. I had to wait until after 5:00 P.M. I had only about 4 hrs of sleep the night before trying to get everything packed into two cars. I arrive at 5 to find out that my room mate had conflicting interests and didn't like to clean up after himself and the place was a complete mess. Didn't get done packing till 1:00 A.M. and went for a drive to make sure I knew where the parking lot was, read through some info, got in bed at 3:00. My room mate was up till 5 A.M. making noise. Woke up at 6:45 with maybe 1-2 hours total of sleep. Showered, dressed up in dress clothes, ate a peach for breakfast, and drove to the place at and walked in at about 7:59-8:00 A.M. My meeting was set at 8:00 A.M. with a recommendation of getting there 10 mins early. Because I didn't come in 10 mins early, they sent me packing along with a couple other people first day of training. I was supposed to get a call back and never did.

Then, before I could even get any sleep caught up or out of my pissed off state, I got a call from my Dad, telling me that he called the managers of my apartments to get a move. Spent the rest of the day moving. This is a fun week so far lol. :P
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

Sometimes,you have to go somewhere and see what jobs are available out there. Maybe try a different career path for awhile. It may not be your ultimate dream oryour kind of thing to do, but at least the job will pay for your food,bills, shelter, etc.

I've been pretty lucky. I am currently working part time position, and if I can prove to get my referrals up to a minimum daily count in a quarter, the manager wants to put me in full time position. He hasn't put me full time, because before I wasn't meeting my minimum requirements and to have a higher set of counts would hurt my quarterly evaluations.

I am already working close to part time because of the shortage of help we have (we are hiring ;)) so it isn't too bad.

Just look into various types of jobs that you wouldn't mind working for a few years until the economy gets a bit better. (Not a temp)
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Gekko have you tried applying at advertising companies, digital arts studios for film makers or any of the games companies? Doesn't Valin Halcyon work for Eve Online? Convo him and see if he has any knowledge of job openings.
You now have experience and a resume so finding a permenent job should be a little easier.
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Zantor »

Isaac wrote:Primarily 3d animation, digital painting, and vertex art. But I've grown tired trying to find work with these skills.
But I'm good at Excel spreadsheet programs. (I'm starting to like 'openoffice')
The three most recent jobs were for a voluntary benefits company, then Medicaid and Medicare customer service stuff (lots of angry people), and application processing for Texas DPS.
Insomniac Games has an opening for an animator at their North Carolina location, if it's of any interest. I'm sure if you look on the sites for other game companies you can find openings.

IG animator opening link: http://www.insomniacgames.com/careers/animation.php