Islam puff piece on CNN

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Islam puff piece on CNN

Post by Nightshade »

I wonder if they would do stories on how wonderful Christianity is or how \"proud\" christian girls would be if their fathers threatened to kill them if they left the religion.

Islam the fantasy:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/08/12/genera ... index.html

Islam the reality:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/loc ... 3216.story

Don't get me wrong, leaving one cult to join another isn't much better- but fearing that your own family may murder you if you leave is a common occurance in islam and NOT in any other \"faith.\"

This happened in my very own \"back yard\":
\"I just want him to pay for what he did to my girls,\" Mrs. Said said.

Islam Said has previously disputed widespread rumors and media reports that his Muslim father's religion may have been the reason for the killings. Some have speculated that the deaths may have been \"honor killings,\" a practice in which a man kills a female relative who he believes has somehow shamed the family.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... 6ceab.html
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

hmm.

I wouldn't label that \"fantasy\" and \"reality\". They both are reality. Remember that the first is from a woman's view point. I worked with an older woman from Iran and we talked about this a couple of times. There is a wide variance in opinion within their culture (especially Iran post Shaw). Each woman has their own rational much like women do here about bras. They are mostly accepted, but there are a few that have other opinions on them. ;)

Tara also mentioned that there are laws that keep certain Islam edicts in tact with the intent to maintain purity within the public. I doubt that you will accept that, but it is what she believes. I'm not saying it's successful 100% but she believes that's why things like segregation (between the sexes) laws are still in place.

She also mentioned once things like honor killings but it gave her the willies so we didn't broach that topic but once or twice.
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

wow dude, you are really into talking about polarized viewpoints, then holding one yourself. Most of your posts are like this, plus your avatar.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

oh TB, to address your first question, it's a 50/50% as bashing Christian is rather popular. Then again, any \"father\" that called himself Christain and \"threatened to kill them if they left the religion.\" is NOT one so in truth it's not a legit question.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Re:

Post by Ferno »

Birdseye wrote:wow dude, you are really into talking about polarized viewpoints, then holding one yourself. Most of your posts are like this, plus your avatar.
welcome to the new EnC.

heh.