Alienware M17x

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

SirSamII
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Alienware M17x

Post by SirSamII »

If anyone is going to be buying a new desktop around this price. Just buy this laptop & buy any external monitor if the 17\" is to small. This laptops hott.

Alienware M17x
SirSamII
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by SirSamII »

Dual GTX280's & extreme edition processor just in case anyone passed that up :)
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

Only thing I don't like about vendors like this is that once you add all the good stuff that you want, the total cost is sky high.
VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by VonVulcan »

With all the goodies, only $7591.00 :P
SirSamII
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by SirSamII »

After going through all the specs to match my desktop it's $2,498. Yes expensive IMO, but a quality laptop. Although, I built my desktop for only around $600.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

And whats the warranty like?
Sllik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sllik »

No more Alienware for me.

$2600 cost
2 years before the second vid card replacement died
No vendor or after-market replacements anywhere to be found
$2600 paperweight

$2600 cost + 2 years of service = roughly $110/month for the privilege of playing on a portable gaming rig that I can only cannibalize the hard drive from.

In hindsight, that cost was nowhere near worth it. I'd rather build a mini case machine with a handle on top. For $7000+, you could buy extra LCD monitors, cables, and peripherals for all of your most frequented remote locations and only have to carry the case around. ;p
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

If you're one of those happy few that can build their own machines, then yes, it will become quite evident just how expensive Alienware is. It's quite mindboggling actually.
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zantor »

I would rather get a Gateway FX. Ever since Acer bought Gateway, the quality of their manufacturing and design has been significantly and recognizably better. A friend of mine owns a Gateway FX laptop and loves it. He got it for $1800, less than other gaming laptops.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by snoopy »

Sirius wrote:If you're one of those happy few that can build their own machines, then yes, it will become quite evident just how expensive Alienware is. It's quite mindboggling actually.
Mindboggling, and really silly.

I'm not convinced that building your own computer is that hard. Maybe that's because every computer I've owned has been self-built, but these day's it's pretty much a matter of plugging everything in, and knowing how to read a manual. I realize that the hard part is selecting all of the components... but that's not even too hard after one does a bit of learning.

For the average internet-browsing user, it's a lot of ask, but at the same time they can get a pre-built basic system for basically the same price. (maybe even less, if you consider periphrials)

For the average gamer... they usually know a bit more, at least enough to have a wish-list. By the time you have a wish list, why not put in the little bit of extra work to select specifics & save yourself a lot of money? (Now, with laptops that's not so much of an option, but I'm not convinced that laptops should be gaming machines.)
Sllik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sllik »

Agreed wholeheartedly. I've built every PC I've ever owned going all the way back to my first 486/33. The only reason I departed from the norm was because I was smitten with the idea of a portable gaming rig for the sake of LANfests after having lugged a mid-size case and CRT around for years. The irony of it was that I ended up moving soon after purchasing the laptop and only had the time and opportunity to take it to a single LANfest during its lifecycle pre-paperweight.
Verran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Verran »

I snagged a Gateway FX P-7805u for $1,100.00 and could not be happier.

With a second HDD/RAID-0, laptop cooling pad and the ability to run two monitors without a docking station; it more than meets my requirements as a desktop replacement.

It is nice to be able to play games while on the go and have the power to run all of my programming tools without a sweat.

Excellent product.

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/gateway ... 96191.html
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

The alienware has better hardware. :P