Evolution (@ inevitably the origin of life and the universe)

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Spaceboy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Evolution (@ inevitably the origin of life and the universe)

Post by Spaceboy »

How is it possible people still think evolution is 100% false?

I thought it was a small amount of people that thought that, so I dismissed it; there's actually serious debate going on about it!

This is baffling to me.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

You might want to read these threads:
viewtopic.php?t=15447&view=next&sid=572 ... 946b664077
viewtopic.php?t=11969&view=next&sid=9ba ... f03823b8c4
viewtopic.php?t=8617&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

There's a lot of threads here on this subject. Lots of long ones with people's opinions.
Spaceboy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Spaceboy »

Oh.
I used the search bar but I only got a random topic on the first page.

Thanks.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

It's cool. I'm not trying to imply that you shouldn't make a thread about this.

Anyway... My work here is done *flys away*
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

Hey, there's also a Flat Earth Society. So why not. :P
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Now you're just trying to pick a fight.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

I think it's a lot like the global warming debate, most people agree it happens but the cause is in dispute....
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

I think a belief system is a survival trait in this cruel world. And atheists like me only exist because we live such comfortable lives. But if I were whipped daily to move stones up a mountain I bet I would believe in something. Otherwise wouldn't I just go nuts? Especially if I could claim all of my pain was in the service of my god. Or better yet if I knew that being so poor and ill treated meant I had a guaranteed place in heaven.

And isn't it funny how so many people need religion? If it's an instinct, only humans have it.
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Gooberman »

dissent wrote:Hey, there's also a Flat Earth Society. So why not. :P
I see your flat earth people, and raise you one Stop The Spin of the Earth people.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Re:

Post by CUDA »

Isaac wrote:Now you're just trying to pick a fight.
Pot meet kettle
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re:

Post by dissent »

Gooberman wrote:
I see your flat earth people, and raise you one Stop The Spin of the Earth people.
ROFLMAO !!
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

dissent wrote:
Gooberman wrote:
ROFLMAO !!
Best post ever.
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by AlphaDoG »

Isaac wrote:
dissent wrote:
Gooberman wrote:
ROFLMAO !!
Best post ever.
Yea the ROFLMAO!! did it for me
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

NO I quoted dissent to imply I was agreeing with him, that the original post was good. ... never mind... :evil:
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

All I have to say is that Spaceboy's and dissent's avatars are too similar. I keep reading one and thinking it's the other. ;)
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

actually they are ancestors. DBB history tells us that Spaceboy came from the Oceans of space and after many years EVOLVED into what has become dissent. with that being said I personally believe that Spaceboy was created. I mean how could Spaceboy just appear out of no where :P
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

oh come on Cuda, \"Spaceboy\"?? duh? He's an alien. (either that or he was uplifted.)
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re:

Post by dissent »

CUDA wrote:actually they are ancestors. DBB history tells us that Spaceboy came from the Oceans of space and after many years EVOLVED into what has become dissent. with that being said I personally believe that Spaceboy was created. I mean how could Spaceboy just appear out of no where :P
I dissent from this opinion (naturally :wink: )

besides, my avatar pwns.
Spaceboy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Spaceboy »

Foil wrote:All I have to say is that Spaceboy's and dissent's avatars are too similar. I keep reading one and thinking it's the other. ;)
Ahh! You're right.

*Changes later today*
CUDA wrote:actually they are ancestors. DBB history tells us that Spaceboy came from the Oceans of space and after many years EVOLVED into what has become dissent. with that being said I personally believe that Spaceboy was created. I mean how could Spaceboy just appear out of no where :P
Ah, but the origin of my existence doesn't have anything to do with whether I evolved into dissent or not. :P
Stroodles
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Stroodles »

Well then...thanks Foil, I now have a clearer outlook on life.
Amg! It's on every post and it WON'T GO AWAY!!
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Stroodles wrote:Well then...thanks Foil, I now have a clearer outlook on life.
You've been foiled
Stroodles
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Stroodles »

Isaac wrote:
Stroodles wrote:Well then...thanks Foil, I now have a clearer outlook on life.
You've been foiled
Oh Drat.
Amg! It's on every post and it WON'T GO AWAY!!
thwart
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: Evolution

Post by thwart »

One of the reasons evolution is such a hot debated topic is because it is not science. It is a religious belief. I made that point in another forum which is strangely blocked by this site?? Real science doesn't require faith (i.e. "believe" in evolution). Science is proven by experimentation not by random daydreams.

Spaceboy wrote:How is it possible people still think evolution is 100% false?

This is baffling to me.

I imagine the reason why you are so puzzled there is another viewpoint is that you only hear one side of the debate. The government only allows atheistic beliefs to be taught in their schools and most of the "science" tv shows only show this religion also. There is another reason why it is such a heated topic: Many people believe, as I do, that the government is promoting one religion over another by teaching evolution only and to add insult to injury, force people to pay for it through taxes. A big no-no in the first amendment. This is why they must keep pretending it is science.

For anyone with an open mind there is an excellent DVD on this subject that is humorous too.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

heh

\"Evolution\" just got pwned. :D
Spaceboy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re: Evolution

Post by Spaceboy »

thwart wrote:One of the reasons evolution is such a hot debated topic is because it is not science. It is a religious belief. I made that point in another forum which is strangely blocked by this site?? Real science doesn't require faith (i.e. "believe" in evolution). Science is proven by experimentation not by random daydreams.
People somewhat misuse the term "believe" when they are talking about evolution.

That does not mean evolution is a religion;
there is a fundamental difference between religion and evolution which is the fact that evolution has plenty of evidence.

The word 'believe' is then used because the question becomes whether or not the evidence is convincing enough.

If you aren't convinced by the evidence towards evolution, you are either extremely skeptical or very biased against it.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

But don’t you know the “theory” of evolution, evolved into “fact” years ago.

I stole that from a cartoon posted over on .com
Spaceboy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Spaceboy »

Burlyman wrote:heh

"Evolution" just got pwned. :D
It didn't, but I believe the word you're looking for is thwarted. :P

Spidey wrote: But don’t you know the “theory” of evolution, evolved into “fact” years ago.

I stole that from a cartoon posted over on .com
It isn't fact, there is just an overwhelming amount of evidence for its case.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

It didn't, but I believe the word you're looking for is thwarted.
lol

...Oh, you mean like the \"evidence\" of all the 'missing links?' haha
But don’t you know the “theory” of evolution, evolved into “fact” years ago.
Indeed. =P When I started elementary school, evolution was still a theory. After I got to high school, it became \"fact.\" heh
Spaceboy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Spaceboy »

Burlyman wrote: ...Oh, you mean like the "evidence" of all the 'missing links?' haha

Now it's clear you haven't taken evolution seriously.
It doesn't have to be missing links connecting species to today, we can see many different examples in the fossil record.

However, the real evidence is in genetics. It is far more compelling than the fossil record. If you're going to take evolution seriously then look it up.

Also, explain to me why bacteria is becoming more resistant to antibiotics without any concepts of evolution.

Tell me your reasoning for not being convinced by evolution.

So far the only argument I've heard against evolution is "It can't possibly be!"
which is pure disbelief. Disbelief does not disprove something.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Spidey »

Spaceboy wrote:Also, explain to me why bacteria is becoming more resistant to antibiotics without any concepts of evolution.
The last time I tried to explain that, I got sidetracked by having to prove I knew the difference between extrapolation & interpolation.
thwart
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by thwart »

Spaceboy wrote: Also, explain to me why bacteria is becoming more resistant to antibiotics without any concepts of evolution.
Bacteria evolved into....bacteria???? That is evolution? :roll: No one's children look exactly like them or have the same immune system as their parents. That is not evolution.

Spaceboy wrote: Tell me your reasoning for not being convinced by evolution.

So far the only argument I've heard against evolution is "It can't possibly be!"
which is pure disbelief. Disbelief does not disprove something.

This is exactly what I am talking about. You haven't heard the other side just as I said. There is no evidence for evolution. It is all presumed to have happened. Buy the DVD. It will be the best $10 you ever spent. A real eye (or brain) opener.
Spaceboy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Spaceboy »

thwart wrote: Bacteria evolved into....bacteria???? That is evolution? :roll: No one's children look exactly like them or have the same immune system as their parents. That is not evolution.
-.-

A trait that was once very rare in bacteria is now dominant throughout bacteria. Survival of the fittest, that's what evolution is.
This is exactly what I am talking about. You haven't heard the other side just as I said. There is no evidence for evolution. It is all presumed to have happened. Buy the DVD. It will be the best $10 you ever spent. A real eye (or brain) opener.
It is a model that fits with a high degree of accuracy with what we see in the world.

We can see it happening on a smaller scale, definitely in bacteria.

Another example:
Say you have 200 roaches. You spray them with roach killer, so 95% of them die. The remaining 10 reproduce so there are 200 roaches again.

This time when you spray them, only 15% of them die.

The roach killer resistance traits were chosen over other traits. Thousands - Millions of traits make up living creatures. No one trait is exempt from being eliminated.

Logically, this is definitely possible.

How could you see this as not possible?
SuperSheep
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by SuperSheep »

Why do we (as humans) always look for a single explanation to everything. I think it's perfectly acceptable that evolution is a part of what happens, but that does not eliminate a creator from the mix, nor does having a creator eliminate evolution.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

SuperSheep
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by SuperSheep »

Bet51987 wrote:Dang, I have a lot to say about modern biology and evolution but every time I try to post it a photo of a priest shaking his finger at me keeps popping up.

I give up trying to post it here.

Bee
And yet you posted here, and from the sounds of it, believe in evolution. Who cares what other people think? Post your thoughts. Would only add to the evolution of this topic. :D
Spaceboy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Spaceboy »

SuperSheep wrote:Why do we (as humans) always look for a single explanation to everything. I think it's perfectly acceptable that evolution is a part of what happens, but that does not eliminate a creator from the mix, nor does having a creator eliminate evolution.
Ah, but the origin of my existence doesn't have anything to do with whether I evolved into dissent or not
The debate generally turns into religion vs evolution because it is usually religious people vs. not so religious people.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

That's not surprising. Darwin was an atheist.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

I think it's amazing that we evolved into humans so fast and recent. And maybe an interdimensional being with admin rights influenced it. But evolution happened. Ha ha.
VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by VonVulcan »

One does not rule out the other.
(20:12) STRESSTEST: Im actually innocent this time
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

FYI for everyone in this thread, there is a whole spectrum of viewpoints on origins. It's not just \"Atheist Evolutionists vs. Religious Creationists\".

There are some atheists who see a relatively young intentionally-designed universe. There are many religious folk (including myself) who see the current cosmological and biological models as a reflection of God's infinite creativity.

---------------

Back to the original topic, before this blows up into another \"origins debate\" thread:

Spaceboy, the debate over all aspects of this topic are still strong. Stick around long enough, you'll find that most threads on the topic start well, but eventually dissolve into scattered thoughts and lengthy rants. :P