Ever thought of building games for a living??

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Ever thought of building games for a living??

Post by Duper »

Here's a Great Place to start looking for a job.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Thanks, Duper!

Interesting, there's a position listed for a med-simulation company just a few blocks from where I am currently working, doing almost exactly the kind of programming I'm doing now. [Wow, just checked out the details, they're paying considerably more than I make.]

I'm tempted to check it out, but I love my current job, even if it pays less.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

welcome Foil!

I was really surprised by the companies listed. Lucas arts?? All the big guys and lots of new companies. Lots of ranges. There seems to be a large demand for Sr. Management.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

I applied many times... none of them wanted me. I was never good enough to be a modeller. ..
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Been doin' just that for 5 years now :)
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

its not all fun and games, as kyouryuu (aka Solrazor, aka Razor Blade) can tell you. He's in a game company and isn't exactly having the creative freedom to do what he wants.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

DarkFlameWolf wrote:its not all fun and games, as kyouryuu (aka Solrazor, aka Razor Blade) can tell you. He's in a game company and isn't exactly having the creative freedom to do what he wants.
Making prefabs all day is kind of boring. I was once asked to make as many street signs in 8 hours, as I could. It was a low level intern position but everyone else was kinda doing the same stuff... edit: It didn't last due to conflicts with my real job...

If I ever get time I'll start modelling for odf as a hobby. I don't know blender yet.
http://odf-online.org/
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

DarkFlameWolf wrote:its not all fun and games, as kyouryuu (aka Solrazor, aka Razor Blade) can tell you. He's in a game company and isn't exactly having the creative freedom to do what he wants.
heh, well of course not. You're part of a development team. Going solo when 10 to 30 guys are all following a certain path is really a mistake. I know it wouldn't fly well where I work. ;)

Deadlines and marketing all have their say. I DID say "job". :)
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

Noticed how practically all of the jobs are in programming. My decision to pick that up sounds better by the day.

Game development still being a fairly new industry, the biggest problem there is long hours; i.e., unreasonable project management. Depends on the company how much you'll enjoy the job.