Is the doctor in? Sore throat...

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Is the doctor in? Sore throat...

Post by Sniper »

About a month or so ago I had a sore throat for about a week. The following 4 days it got progressively worse. No flu or cold symptoms, though the pain was making me tired. I thought that maybe it was strep so I looked down the ol' hatch and nothing - no white spots. Also, the pain wasn't in that part of my throat (back of the throat near tonsils), it was down further on the front of my throat - on my tongue as it goes down.

I finally went into the doctor because taking 2 advil every other 4 hours just wasn't cutting it. They did a strep test and it came back negative but the doctor said she didn't get a good wipe and it didn't look like anything else that was going around. She gave me the antibiotics for strep and within 24hrs the pain was starting to go away. Within 72hrs it was gone.

Logically, one would assume I did have strep based upon the fact that the antibiotics made the pain go away.

Wel...the pain is back. I don't know what to do. I really don't think it's strep but who knows? :? Anyone have this pain on their tongue down their throat?

And yes...I did take ALL the antibiotics as prescribed. Also, I must reiterate...the first time this happened was at least a month ago.
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

Have you asked Obama?
I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on disk somewhere.
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Floyd »

1: ask about the infection ways (maybe you \"did it again\", oops)
2: visit another doctor for second opinion if you're not sure.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Bee has the most sensible idea.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Allergies?
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Sniper, if it keeps coming back, have you thought that maybe you've got a case of H1N1? I thought that I had a really bad cold until it kept going on and on and on! So far it's been 2 1/2 weeks and it's still in my nose, throat and lungs. Constant cough, sore throat (that's dampened down now, but not completely), clogged lungs and a constant nasal drip, but no fever or aches! Well, my doc finally called it H1N1, even though it presents like a really bad cold. That specific virus is about the only really bad one going around here at the moment that lasts THAT long. But it's just lasting waaaaaaaaay to long for my taste. Some people have had symptoms for 3 weeks!

Apparently you can have H1N1 without the fever or body aches. About 6 to 10% of people who get it are showing partial immunity to H1N1, so they don't get quite as sick. They are essentially Typhoid Mary's spreading this thing around thinking that they only have a bad cold.

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/displa ... 1n1-fever/
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sniper »

It could be a lot of things at this point I guess. Just got back from the doc now with another round of more potent antibiotics and some pain killers. He noticed that I had some pots down lower in my throat (that I was unable to see in the mirror), but the instant-step and mono test came back neg. They'll be doing cultures. Right now it still looks like some type of bacterial thing that I either never really got rid of the first time OR got again somewhere.
Ralphie Wiggam wrote:My doctor said I wouldn't get nose bleeds if I just kept my finger outta there...
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Good luck and get well soon!
Hunter
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Hunter »

I've had a sore throat and nasal drip the past few days, so reading this thread is making me think all kinds of things... You know, kinda like when you try to self diagnose.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Do you smoke?
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sniper »

Nope.
Mickey1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Mickey1 »

F. necrophorum can take you out. Please read. Just caught this artical a couple of days ago.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 192924.htm
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Sniper »

Mickey1 wrote:F. necrophorum can take you out. Please read. Just caught this artical a couple of days ago.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 192924.htm
Good thing I don't have neck swelling, rigors, night sweats or high fevers. ;)
Mickey1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Mickey1 »

Then you don't have Lemierre syndrome. But you could still have a Fusobacterium necrophorum infection. I got the impression it is not looked for hence the call for a new protocol.\" Centor said clinicians should expand their diagnostic process for adolescents and young adults with sore throat to consider F. necrophorum, especially if the sore throat does not improve within three to five days.\" Where you given penicillin and metronidazole or clindamycin ?

P.S. I am not a doctor but I did love playing one on dates.
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Sniper »

Mickey1 wrote:Where you given penicillin and metronidazole or clindamycin ?
I was not given penicillin as I believe I am allergic to it (from my childhood says, I think). I was given a different antibiotic than last time, Clarithromycin:

http://www.drugs.com/imprints.php?actio ... 3&shape=11