The new iMeh

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

The new iMeh

Post by Isaac »

I think I'd go nuts trying to type comfortably its keyboard.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

iPad .... digital female hygiene products?? o_0
VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by VonVulcan »

Duper wrote:iPad .... digital female hygiene products?? o_0
Oh, that's bad Duper. Bad Bad Bad Duper! :P
(20:12) STRESSTEST: Im actually innocent this time
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Nothing new -- :lol:
ImageImage
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Dude, Grendel. Nice catch - that is absolutely hilarious, especially considering it pre-dates the real one!
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Grendel wrote:Nothing new -- :lol:
Omg that's epic.
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

More iShit from apple i say. Batt will only last a year then you half to probley pay 200.00 to even get it replaced
Insurrectionist
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Insurrectionist »

don't worry it's not legit yet, Man Gren that is funny.
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Floyd »

http://failblog.org/2010/01/27/name-fail-photoshop-win/

i think it's funny how he's struggling to bring up arguments to buy this thing in the fox video. it doesn't seem to be as great as the keynote anymore.
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Gekko71 »

Floyd wrote:http://failblog.org/2010/01/27/name-fail-photoshop-win/

i think it's funny how he's struggling to bring up arguments to buy this thing in the fox video. it doesn't seem to be as great as the keynote anymore.
Especially since he's claiming it's the perfect platform to surf the web (...or at least it would be if Apple supported Flash. :roll: )
Unix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Unix »

Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Fox News are idiots for focusing in on Jobs while the screen behind him actually shows what he's talking about. Maybe it's a hidden tribute to the kind of stunted UI present in the iPad itself.

I'm not an apple person anyway, but they really lost me when I saw him tracking around horizontally as well as vertically in order to read the news! I guess I'd have to have it in my hands to be sure, but that sure doesn't sound like a recipe for convenience to me... it sounds like the screen is to small to view the things you'd want to view without tracking in both axis.
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Floyd »

ahhh, there we go: :D
VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by VonVulcan »

I did chuckle. :)
(20:12) STRESSTEST: Im actually innocent this time
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Ever heard of the ExoPC Slate? (French site translated to English)

It's a touch screen computer like the iPad, run on Windows 7, has USB ports, WiFi, 10/100 net, Bluetooth, and more. Other than being a little thicker than the iPad, it sounds more like what I'd be interested in. Currently only available in France, should be available elsewhere after March.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

lol @ foil
gizmodo wrote: A lot of people at Gizmodo are psyched about the iPad. Not me! My god, am I underwhelmed by it. It has some absolutely backbreaking failures that will make buying one the last thing I would want to do. Updated

Big, Ugly Bezel
Have you seen the bezel on this thing?! It's huge! I know you don't want to accidentally input a command when your thumb is holding it, but come on.

No Multitasking
This is a backbreaker. If this is supposed to be a replacement for netbooks, how can it possibly not have multitasking? Are you saying I can't listen to Pandora while writing a document? I can't have my Twitter app open at the same time as my browser? I can't have AIM open at the same time as my email? Are you kidding me? This alone guarantees that I will not buy this product.

No Cameras
No front facing camera is one thing. But no back facing camera either? Why the hell not? I can't imagine what the downside was for including at least one camera. Could this thing not handle video iChat?

Touch Keyboard
So much for Apple revolutionizing tablet inputs; this is the same big, ugly touchscreen keyboard we've seen on other tablets, and unless you're lying on the couch with your knees propping it up, it'll be awkward to use.

No HDMI Out
Want to watch those nice HD videos you downloaded from iTunes on your TV? Too damned bad! If you were truly loyal, you'd just buy an AppleTV already.

The Name iPad
Get ready for Maxi pad jokes, and lots of 'em!

No Flash
No Flash is annoying but not a dealbreaker on the iPhone and iPod Touch. On something that's supposed to be closer to a netbook or laptop? It will leave huge, gaping holes in websites. I hope you don't care about streaming video! God knows not many casual internet users do. Oh wait, nevermind, they all do.

Adapters, Adapters, Adapters
So much for those smooth lines. If you want to plug anything into this, such as a digital camera, you need all sorts of ugly adapters. You need an adapter for USB for god's sake.

Update: Why stop at 8? Here are more things we are discovering that suck about the iPad.

It's Not Widescreen
Widescreen movies look lousy on this thing thanks to its 4:3 screen, according to Blam, who checked out some of Star Trek on one. It's like owning a 4:3 TV all over again!

Doesn't Support T-Mobile 3G
Sure, it's "unlocked." But it won't work on T-Mobile, and it uses microSIMs that literally no one else uses.

A Closed App Ecosystem
The iPad only runs apps from the App Store. The same App Store that is notorious for banning apps for no real reason, such as Google Voice. Sure, netbooks might not have touchscreens, but you can install whatever software you'd like on them. Want to run a different browser on your iPad? Too bad!
I don't really believe all the problems on this list. Apple isn't that stupid, is it?
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Floyd »

Isaac wrote:I don't really believe all the problems on this list. Apple isn't that stupid, is it?
why don't you check it out yourself? it's not like the product page was secret or anything.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Because all the remaining energy I had reserved for the ipad has just been spent with this post. :o
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

That's bs. Rocks have been out performing the iPad long before computers. :P
Continental crust: multitasking ✓
VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

En

Post by VonVulcan »

Entry level IPad. :)
Insurrectionist
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Insurrectionist »

Refresh rates would suck big time :lol:
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Re:

Post by Ferno »

lol geez. how many times are they gonna rehash that same joke?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

On the internet, nothing is ever too old for someone to think it's funny.
VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by VonVulcan »

Ferno wrote:
lol geez. how many times are they gonna rehash that same joke?

:P
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Pandora »

hate to go against the grain here, but I actually quite like the iPad. Mostly because I am interested in GUI design --- I think its cool that that iPad inally comes close to Jeff Raskins original vision for the Mac in the 70ies.

http://gizmodo.com/5452501/the-apple-ta ... -like-this
In Raskin's head, an information appliance would be a computing device with one single purpose—like a toaster makes toast, and a microwave oven heats up food. This gadget would be so easy to use that anyone would be able to grab it, and start playing with it right away, without any training whatsoever. It would have the right number of buttons, in the right position, with the right software. In fact, an information appliance—which was always networked—would be so easy to use that it would become invisible to the user, just part of his or her daily life.

Sound familiar? Not yet? Well, now consider this. Later in his life, Raskin realized that, while his idea was good, people couldn't carry around one perfectly designed information appliance for every single task they can think of. Most people were already carrying a phone, a camera, a music player, a GPS and a computer. They weren't going to carry any more gadgets with them.

He saw touch interfaces, however, and realized that maybe, if the buttons and information display were all in the software, he could create a morphing information appliance. Something that could do every single task imaginable perfectly, changing mode according to your objectives. Want to make a call? The whole screen would change to a phone, and buttons will appear to dial or select a contact. Want a music player or a GPS or a guitar tuner or a drawing pad or a camera or a calendar or a sound recorder or whatever task you can come up with? No problem: Just redraw the perfect interface on the screen, specially tailored for any of those tasks. So easy that people would instantly get it.
I dont't think it is pitched at computer power users. I think its more for people who want a computer but don't want a ocmputer if you know what I mean. For these people, the the iPad's interface might be the perfect solution. As such, I think it is more of a very cool experiment --- lets wait and see how the market responds. Also, as with all Apple products, the value is not in tech specs, but in how it handles --- I don't feel able to judge it without having used it myself.
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Gekko71 »

Disney are throwing their weight behind it and producing content specifically for it (no great surprise there, Jobs isa Disney director and Shareholder)

It's a content viewer first and foremost. All the other stuff is secondary IMO.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Pandora, you don't want to wait for a competitor's device to come out? Sony and HP are working their own slates right now. Hitler even mentioned he might get the HP. Don't you want to do what Hitler's doing?
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

What happened to the one MS was doing? It had two \"pads\", and would open up like a actual notepad. Or is that HP or something?
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

Dang, just looked it up. It was the 'courier', and apparently they changed the design so now it's just a glorified color kindle.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

I'm going to stay with \"buttons\".
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Pandora »

Isaac wrote:Pandora, you don't want to wait for a competitor's device to come out? Sony and HP are working their own slates right now. Hitler even mentioned he might get the HP.
Won't be getting one anytime soon anyways. My priority is at the moment to have good gaming PC. But, no, I would not wait for Sony or HP. My previous experience with them doesn't bode well for nice GUIs. To be honest, I want to reduce the influence of Windows on my life as much as possible. It annoys me to no end, how the interface always gets in the way... --- to be rid of that is the main reason why I am more than willing to pay the Apple premium.

Hitler doesn't know what he's talking about.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by snoopy »

gizmodo wrote: A Closed App Ecosystem
The iPad only runs apps from the App Store. The same App Store that is notorious for banning apps for no real reason, such as Google Voice. Sure, netbooks might not have touchscreens, but you can install whatever software you'd like on them. Want to run a different browser on your iPad? Too bad!
This is what has me against ipod & generally apple. I'm becoming more and more of an advocate of open-source computing. I irks me when my machine is locked out (at least by "legal" means) of content because I've chosen to have full control over my machine. I'm pretty convinced that the software/hardware lease model is going to take over, and I'd like to resist it as long as I can.

[/soapbox]
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Courier never existed, much to the dismay of some.
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Floyd »

Isaac wrote:Don't you want to do what Hitler's doing?
absolutely not. on a side note, this sentence can get you in trouble over here.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

No kidding. And the last thing I would want is to be banned of a descent forum.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

i will ban anyone who doesn't use Hitler in their next post

ok not really
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Re:

Post by Grendel »

Isaac wrote:No kidding. And the last thing I would want is to be banned of a descent forum.
You are already. And he ment in germany.
ImageImage
EngDrewman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by EngDrewman »