Discuss the Fusion Cannon's candidacy as the GOAT weapon

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Discuss the Fusion Cannon's candidacy as the GOAT weapon

Post by Darktalyn1 »

What other weapon in the Descent Franchise could possibly compete for Greatest Of All Time status?

The Fusion Cannon has been a Descent Mainstay throughout the entire franchise, and is beloved by Lobbers, Ratters, Dogfighters, and Elites all the same.

No other weapon can sniff the Greatness of the Fusion Cannon. It even has its own level - The Whoopass Cannery. Is there a Plasma Cannery? No! Plasma = SHAMED.

Of all the primaries and secondaries in the history of Descent, the Fusion Cannon is the only one that brings a tear of joy to my eye as I pick it up. Let's all pay our respects to the Purple Moth-Maker.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

plasma = shame?

oh man. you have not felt what it's like to be on the business end of the green wall. especially in D1.
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

I don't eat my peas, I smack em outta the way with Purple Jello!
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Re: Discuss the Fusion Cannon's candidacy as the GOAT weapon

Post by Grendel »

Darktalyn1 wrote:The Fusion Cannon has been a Descent Mainstay throughout the entire franchise, and is beloved by Lobbers, Ratters, Dogfighters, and Elites all the same.
Too bad it got perverted in the tank..
ImageImage
d0ggY
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by d0ggY »

Completely depends on the player you're playing against.

Fusion is lethal but only a few players out there are truly effective with it (kiln, Bird), otherwise it's useless.

Plasma is the same thing ...guys like otaY, katO, Chipmunk, and Rainbird were absolutely devastating with it but I found it easy to avoid when most players use it incorrectly and make steady sine-waves with it.

Spreadfire, smart missles, and even concussions were lethal when used by a good rat like DrDon

Anyone who played Scoundrl or Dtile has nightmares about Quad lasers.

And the one I really hated was the gauss cannon. Being an ex-PPG member, I faced off against Karash and the other PPG members who all seemed like gauss-gods.

Overall I think the D1 spreadfire was the most lethal though, as it could be used with any style of play whether it's a rat or a dogfight. I definitely would vote NO on the Fusion tho as it's just too useless for most players.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Agreed; of any of the primary weapons, plasma and quad lasers were the most effective across all three games. Probably going to have to give it to quad lasers though, considering D3 - plasma didn't cover enough space.
Ferno

Re:

Post by Ferno »

Darktalyn1 wrote:I don't eat my peas, I smack em outta the way with Purple Jello!
then someone isn't feeding you right.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

DT, plasma did have it's own level it's called GREENland.

i agree though, there aren't many talented enough players left in d1 to enjoy some good versatile weapon matches, i've had some very nice games with several IDL latecomers and found them to be very fun to play with but as far as i've seen i have only found one player in d1 that i could honestly say outplayed me in dogfights the majority of the time i played with him and that was DJCJR.

Every other UT i played just tried different variations of the boring hide and seek game. with the exception of warlord.

EDIT: forgot to add that everyone above me isn't worthy of calling you out on the whole d1 weapons are better deal, you guys need to actually play before you talk crap
d0ggY
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by d0ggY »

You would have hated playing DrDon then. Matches with him could last several hours and were beyond frustrating in levels like Nysa where he was nearly unbeatable.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

nah, i enjoy matches with smart players thats why i said warlord was an exception, i just in the dozen or so \"Upper tier\" players i played i didn't see any dogfighting talent aside from DJ.

everyone else tried playing a mind game that didn't work on me.
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Spreadfire will always have a special place in my heart, but facts are facts. Fusion has played a starring role in all three Descent titles, and only gotten better with age (Trifusion baby! Don't cry when it cracks your ship).

Meanwhile, the Spreadfire didn't even make it into Descent 3. A weapon can't have GOAT status for the series if it only appeared in two thirds of the game.

Quad supers are pretty cool, but they simply involve holding down the trigger and aiming. Fusion requires timing the charge, and aiming. Victor : Fusion. Also, lasers keep changing colors, while Fusion's color has regal consistency. RESPECT the Fusion!

Fusion : Simply the Best!
S13driftAZ
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by S13driftAZ »

Darktalyn1 wrote:Fusion : Simply the Best!
You fail to see that nothing is the best.
The ONLY thing that is best is what you're comfortable with.
The base of your argument is rooted only on nostalgia
With that being said, vauss is the best. :P
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

S13, you need to let go of your Hate, man. It's eating you up inside. You need to learn to appreciate Fusion and its Majesty.

Now, discuss the ways in which the Fusion Cannon has inspired you to become a better pilot.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

i enjoy striking fear in the hearts of man with nightmares filled with the words
behemoth killed so and so (insert useless pilot name here) with the fusion!
d0ggY
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by d0ggY »

In regards to my comments, I do not include D3 as one of the \"Descent's\" as it's too fundamentally different, imo. My argument is based solely on D1/D2 and regardless, I stand by my conclusion that fusion fails in your GOAT status as it is simply not an \"all-around\" weapon. Very very very few ratters could use the fusion effectively and even most dogfighters, when given a choice, will switch to quads or plasma, especially against better players that don't readily moth.

I vote spreadfire. Lethal in any situation and can be used for any tactic and by any skill level.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

spread shouldn't be considered any more well rounded if you take into consideration the fact that the shots fill up a room if its large enough.
the weapon balance in d1 is appreciable in the fact that most of the primaries are different, quad 4's are slower than plasma, vulcan is a great long range weapon, spread is a great weapon to switch up with when someone is getting too comfortable with dodging predictable shots and fusion is just overall fun with the timing and the charge effect.

if you can't use all the weapons at your disposal in different situations with a positive outcome then you lack the skill to call yourself a veteran, as it is none of the weapons are really any better than the other.
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

Fusion was a giant piece of ★■◆● in every game except D3. Doesn't even qualify.

Lasers or plasma only.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

eh? fusion does less in d3 than in D2 or D1. I think it was toned down a bit in D2, but I'm not sure. The ship doesn't buck nearly as much in D3 as in the other 2.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Fusion in d3 isn't half of what it was in d1, that said i still don't mind tossing that purple to annihilate you peeps! :>
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Sirius »

Darktalyn1 wrote:Quad supers are pretty cool, but they simply involve holding down the trigger and aiming. Fusion requires timing the charge, and aiming. Victor : Fusion. Also, lasers keep changing colors, while Fusion's color has regal consistency. RESPECT the Fusion!

Fusion : Simply the Best!
My interpretation of this is that by "greatest of all time" you aren't actually referring to effectiveness but, well, sex appeal.

Then OK. The fusion probably wins that for me too. It is an interesting weapon - just not really a good one until D3.
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

Fusion in D3 is simply much easier to use because of travel time, not catching on walls as easily, higher frequency and other contributing factors.

I can't remember how damage compared between games, but it was ignored as a competitive weapon in D1 and D2 for a reason. It was awful.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

D3 fusion is also more accurate. In D1, you're never Sure where it's going to go the ship bucks so hard. Takes a certain amount of skill to use it at range.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

just gotta ride the wave
float on the purple sea of energy
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

D2 fusion does half the damage of D1 fusion if I recall.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

D1 Fusion: The classic! I think I could agree with the \"G.O.A.T.\" moniker; it helped define Descent.

D2 Fusion: Nerfed, half damage. Bleh.

D3 Fusion: Fun again! But very poorly balanced between the ships.
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

I didn't say most powerful weapon, or most well-rounded weapon, I said Greatest weapon of the franchise. There are many different factors that would make a weapon become iconic of the franchise...

1. Consistency. A weapon can't be the greatest Descent weapon unless it has appeared in all 3. Sorry to those of you that want to discount D3 cause you couldn't make the transition, but Descent 3 definitely counts as a Descent title.

2. Skill requirement. I would say one of the contenders concerning Greatness in Descent Lore is the Mega Missile. But, it falls short for the simple fact that the skill requirement just isn't there. Fusion requires leading the target (unlike vauss), charging (unlike lasers), and aiming (unlike any homing-style secondary).

3. Aesthetics. The purple glob of fusion is an iconic visual to the Descent Franchise. When you think of Descent, one of the first things you think of is Fusion.

Everything I posted above is FACT and should be treated as such

8)
S13driftAZ
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by S13driftAZ »

I think I know why people love the fusion so much...
you have little man syndrome
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Re:

Post by CDN_Merlin »

S13driftAZ wrote:I think I know why people love the fusion so much...
you have little man syndrome

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

I've personally always hated the fusion.

Hard to use and basically worthless in single player. The energy to damage ratio always seemed not worth it. (not to mention the bug associated with it which I KNOW is fixed in the newer off shoots)

I like the Gauss and Lvl 5 lasers. ooh.. and merc missles. :twisted:
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

Duper wrote:(not to mention the bug associated with it which I KNOW is fixed in the newer off shoots)
The fusion-bug still exists in D3 v1.4. It's only fixed on dedicated servers running AC.
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by DarkHorse »

Darktalyn1 wrote:1. Consistency. A weapon can't be the greatest Descent weapon unless it has appeared in all 3.
Bollocks. It could have appeared in one if it was good enough.
2. Skill requirement. I would say one of the contenders concerning Greatness in Descent Lore is the Mega Missile. But, it falls short for the simple fact that the skill requirement just isn't there. Fusion requires leading the target (unlike vauss), charging (unlike lasers), and aiming (unlike any homing-style secondary).
So to be good, it has to be hard to use? That's a ridiculous thing to say.
3. Aesthetics. The purple glob of fusion is an iconic visual to the Descent Franchise.
It has aesthetics, but...
When you think of Descent, one of the first things you think of is Fusion.
No.
LEON
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by LEON »

DarkHorse wrote:So to be good, it has to be hard to use? That's a ridiculous thing to say.
I think DT's point is, if a weapon is too easy to use, you dont learn anything.
In fusion you must consider charging, leading and aiming, which means the cultivation of your brain synapses is great. ;)
Lobber
Emotastic!!
Emotastic!!

Post by Lobber »

Smart Missile.

I nominate the Smart Missile because it is also a one shot killing machine if it's handled right. If it isn't, then it just creates a bunch of pretty lights. Plus, with the smart plasma homing in on you, that creates the quintessential homing noise that is the essence of Descent. And smart missiles are in all three descent games.
LEON
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by LEON »

Lobber wrote:Smart Missile.

I nominate the Smart Missile because it is also a one shot killing machine if it's handled right. If it isn't, then it just creates a bunch of pretty lights. Plus, with the smart plasma homing in on you, that creates the quintessential homing noise that is the essence of Descent. And smart missiles are in all three descent games.
allow me to disagree with you.
To shoot a smart misslie, you only need the skill to push a button. No new synapses is connecting in your brain. And the society is heading in a direction of whats seen in the movie WallE. Hehe :P
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

The most devistating weapons. (not necessarily the Best or the coolest)

D1= Fusion and Mega missle
D2= Gauss and Shaker (smart mine in some capacity)
D3= Mass Driver and Impact Mortar (very similar to the D1 Mega) although, I waffle on this.
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by DarkHorse »

LEON wrote:To shoot a smart misslie, you only need the skill to push a button.
Which is different from fusion how? This is not about shooting, it's about hitting.

To kill someone with a smart missile, you need to know exactly where to place it, because good players will dodge it otherwise. Much like D3 fusion really.
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Smart Missile.

Thank you. Lobber gets it. Smart Missile is definitely in the discussion for GOAT. And that's saying a lot cause it's a Secondary. It's one of those quintessential weapons that makes Descent what it is, and so unique.

To those of you dissing the Fusion Cannon and what it has brought to Descent, give your head a shake!
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

each weapon has it's own characteristics which make it unique but i have to agree with DT here, in terms of anything worth calling best the fusion definitely fits at the top.

anyone who can't handle that obviously is not skilled enough to even share your opinion here ::poke:: ;p
LEON
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by LEON »

DarkHorse wrote:
LEON wrote:To shoot a smart misslie, you only need the skill to push a button.
Which is different from fusion how? This is not about shooting, it's about hitting.

To kill someone with a smart missile, you need to know exactly where to place it, because good players will dodge it otherwise. Much like D3 fusion really.
Your right. To shoot is the same for both (wrong choice of word). But I still consider fusion a bit harder to master.
Your right about placing a good smart is skill, but a smart is still pretty much a fire and forget weapon. Only fire and forget aspect with fusion is to lobb it down a hallway and hope someone runns into it. But to shoot blindly is a aspect with alot of weapons, even the smart.
I must admit, it goes a bit deeper than I first thought.
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

I said...
When you think of Descent, one of the first things you think of is Fusion.
DarkHorse said..
No.
You're right, you probably think of the Space Bar you tap while trying to respawn, lol! :lol: