Unbeatable?

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Unbeatable?

Post by woodchip »

\"Conservative superstar Sarah Palin opened the door yesterday to joining forces with Mitt Romney for a 2012 White House run - a hot ticket that has some Republicans licking their chops at the prospect of unseating President Obama\"

So what do you think? Would a Palin/Romney ticket be unbeatable or a Romney/Palin ticket? Either way I think Obama needs to get in practice selling used cars as in 2013 he will be out of office.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I think the idea of Palin as president is an utterly terrifying one. I prefer the people with nuclear launch codes to not be as dumb as a sack of bricks.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

You mean like Obama?
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Top Gun »

woodchip wrote:You mean like Obama?
...you know, I don't really give a damn if you don't like the guy, but quit this ****-spewing already. Obama is an intelligent individual whose policies just happen to not be aligned with your own. I'm half-convinced that Palin is legitimately mentally-challenged, because I don't think there's any other explanation to half of the statements she's made.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

he's a puppet.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Top Gun »

Duper wrote:he's a puppet.
...seriously, what the hell has happened to this place? Is this sort of mindless trolling really considered a good standard for discussion around here now? This whole atmosphere has become so insular and one-sided over the years, I don't know that it's even possible to have a good debate anymore. Looking around, with the exception of two or three individuals, I feel like I'd be better off slamming my head into drywall than attempting to state a point.

Y'know, I'm part of groups whose political viewpoints I almost entirely disagree with, yet I find them to be far better places to have a good conversation than this folder has seemingly become, for the simple reason that people are tasked with sticking to facts and making informed statements. It used to be like that in here as well, or at least a hell of a lot more like that than right now. I'd expect the DBB E&C folder to be able to hold higher standards than an AM radio circle-jerk.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Palin is the reason I didn't vote for McCain.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

Top Gun wrote:
...you know, I don't really give a damn if you don't like the guy, but quit this ****-spewing already....
Why is it you are the only one allowed to have an opinion on which politician is as dumb as a sack of bricks? When you say it it's contributing to the debate but when someone else says it about your guy it is spewing ★■◆●?!? And you complain about the quality of the discussion after taking that elite position?!?
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by woodchip »

Krom wrote:Palin is the reason I didn't vote for McCain.
Palin is the reason I voted for McCain. Otherwise I would of voted for Hillary but alas, Obama got the Dem, spot.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

I disagree with Obama, but I think he is a smart (and likable) individual.

I had my doubts about the IQ of our PREVIOUS president. :)
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Gooberman »

Krom wrote:Palin is the reason I didn't vote for McCain.
I voted for McCain as my senator, I've always respcted the guy, and I had expected the 08' election to be a tough decision for me: Palin changed that.

The same is true for Mitt, I truely respect what the guy has been able to do as a business man. And at this Countries time he may be what we need. But if he looks at Palin, I'll be voting for another round of Obama.

(Though I don't think Mitt will pass the Republican primary, too many Mormon haters).

So the discussion is moot really ;).
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Gooberman wrote:Though I don't think Mitt will pass the Republican primary, too many Mormon haters.
Funniest thing in the entire last election:
Mitt's wife introduced him once as "The only Republican candidate for president who has only had ONE wife" :lol:
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Top Gun »

Will Robinson wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
...you know, I don't really give a damn if you don't like the guy, but quit this ****-spewing already....
Why is it you are the only one allowed to have an opinion on which politician is as dumb as a sack of bricks? When you say it it's contributing to the debate but when someone else says it about your guy it is spewing *****?!? And you complain about the quality of the discussion after taking that elite position?!?
Well let's see here, Will...looking at any public speech Palin has made since her candidacy was declared provides more than enough evidence to back up my position. This is the woman who declared herself knowledgeable about international affairs because she could "see Russia from Alaska." This is the woman who couldn't even manage to spit out the name of a news magazine she reads to Katie Couric. This is the woman who initially started the "death panels" nonsense. This is the woman who criticized others for using teleprompters...while she had buzzwords written in pen on her hands. This is the woman who got mad at a character on Family Guy for allegedly making fun of Down syndrome sufferers...when the actress playing said character has Down syndrome herself. Has she ever instilled even a shred of confidence that she has any idea what she's talking about in any venue, be it public or otherwise? She's made some of Bush's most inane comments look downright genius.

And on your side, you have...what evidence, exactly? A man who is generally held as a fairly-eloquent public-speaker? A man who gives the impression that he actually knows what he's talking about? A man who doesn't feel the need to throw "dontcha-knows" into every sentence? What are you basing your statement on?

And the hilarious part about all of this is you assuming that Obama is "my guy." Here's a fun little tidbit: I didn't even vote for him.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

The only thing I fear is the loss of net neutrality. If \"stupid b*!ch\" and Romney run and say, \"Net neutrality allows fair competition, so we will regulate the telecoms. (Sorry McCain, STFU; You don't understand the Internet.) \" they will have my vote.
-If they remove the new health care bill instead of improving it: it doesn't work anyway. No whining from me.
-If they nuke the middle east and cause a terrorist retaliation: I'm fine. I live in the middle of no where, Texas.
-If they lower taxes for the rich: I hope I'm rich in a few years.
Just about every \"major\" issue isn't as big of a problem compared to not having a fair Internet business environment.
Our system isn't designed to get the best people into office. If she wins, she'll screw up. But, if the telecoms get their way, Youtube and all the other big multi-mill user sites will never be removed as the reigning kings of their categories. Imagine if AOL was as big of a presents today as it was back in the 90s, because the teleocoms allowed AOL to influence the amount of broadband they get over competitors, through some method of payment to the telecoms. And also, imagine if your competing video hosting site is deemed \"dangerous\" and is blocked, in the name of protecting the Internet. When really, they're keeping competition at bay.

She can have my vote, but I have to assume she's against neutrality (or is for Internet Freedom, aka anti-neutrality act with a tricky name).
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

She makes the first attack, then pleads trolling…where have I seen this before…Oh yea…roid.

I’ll say this, we over here on the right might not be the brightest bunch, but the left just scares the living crap out of me.

I won’t vote for a Palin ticket, whether she is at the top or not. Just for the topic record.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Re:

Post by CUDA »

Top Gun wrote:
Will Robinson wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
Why is it you are the only one allowed to have an opinion on which politician is as dumb as a sack of bricks? When you say it it's contributing to the debate but when someone else says it about your guy it is spewing *****?!? And you complain about the quality of the discussion after taking that elite position?!?
Well let's see here, Will...looking at any public speech Palin has made since her candidacy was declared provides more than enough evidence to back up my position. This is the woman who declared herself knowledgeable about international affairs because she could "see Russia from Alaska." This is the woman who couldn't even manage to spit out the name of a news magazine she reads to Katie Couric. This is the woman who initially started the "death panels" nonsense. This is the woman who criticized others for using teleprompters...while she had buzzwords written in pen on her hands. This is the woman who got mad at a character on Family Guy for allegedly making fun of Down syndrome sufferers...when the actress playing said character has Down syndrome herself. Has she ever instilled even a shred of confidence that she has any idea what she's talking about in any venue, be it public or otherwise? She's made some of Bush's most inane comments look downright genius.

And on your side, you have...what evidence, exactly? A man who is generally held as a fairly-eloquent public-speaker? A man who gives the impression that he actually knows what he's talking about? A man who doesn't feel the need to throw "dontcha-knows" into every sentence? What are you basing your statement on?

And the hilarious part about all of this is you assuming that Obama is "my guy." Here's a fun little tidbit: I didn't even vote for him.
Will, I dont think he understood your question :wink:
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Well then, CUDA, care to explain it to me? Because what I saw was a person taking a \"Nuh-uh, you're stupid!\" tact, and I called him on it. Will falsely accused me of feeling like I should be the only one allowed to express an opinion, and I gave him the justifications for my opinion, justifications that were missing in woodchip's four-word post. So where do we go from here?
TheWhat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by TheWhat »

No one cares what these inbreed corn nut toofed hicks think anyways. they don't even play descent. it doesn't really matter much we all have one vote. enjoy it.
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Post by Heretic »

Funny how the TEA Party thinks about Sarah Palin.
A plurality do not think Sarah Palin is qualified to be president, and, despite their push for smaller government, they think that Social Security and Medicare are worth the cost to taxpayers.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/15/us/po ... oll&st=cse
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

CUDA wrote:Will, I dont think he understood your question :wink:
He sure didn't but I think he doesn't really try to understand, he just wants a target to shoot at.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Top Gun »

Will Robinson wrote:
He sure didn't but I think he doesn't really try to understand, he just wants a target to shoot at.
Just keep dodging there.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

I really don't like the idea of a Romney/Palin presidency (whichever order it would be in).

By the way, I think it's profoundly stupid to regard Obama as an intelligent guy who's policies just happen not to be aligned with my own. Anyone who doesn't want his daughter to have to be \"punished\" with a baby if she makes a \"mistake\" is not merely aligned differently, he's wrong. The man is wrong in a great many areas, and for all of his 'intelligence' how smart can he be if he's flying blind (at best), and just happening to be taking this country in a very bad direction? I'm getting tired of hearing how smart he is. What good is it if it doesn't pay dividends where it counts? Intelligent is as intelligent does, IMO. If what he's doing ain't smart, in the grand scheme of things, you're going to have to come up with a new descriptive term.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Why is abortion always a key issue... ? :roll: It's so boring.
There are plenty of other reasons to vote for someone that are more important.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

[.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Isaac wrote:Why is abortion always a key issue... ? :roll: It's so boring.
It would have been pretty important if your mother had aborted you. You talk like a fool. Life is important.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

Top Gun wrote:
Will Robinson wrote:
Just keep dodging there.
Go back and read the whole thread then quote for me here any question you asked me that I'm dodging! As I see it you haven't, until now, addressed any comment or question toward me so your accusation of a dodge is ridiculous.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

Bet51987 wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
Will Robinson wrote:
Just keep dodging there.
They usually begin the insults when A: They're confronted with reason, or B: They feel threatened intellectually. Unless they begin discussion again you best be prepared for severe name calling.

Bee
Bee you just described yourself perfectly. You usually pop into a thread with some one-liner attack on the GOP and when I ask you some specific question on the topic you disappear.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Top Gun »

Will Robinson wrote:Go back and read the whole thread then quote for me here any question you asked me that I'm dodging! As I see it you haven't, until now, addressed any comment or question toward me so your accusation of a dodge is ridiculous.
Top Gun wrote:Well let's see here, Will...
You accuse me of implying that my opinion was the only one that was "allowed," which I didn't. I answer you, providing the evidence I based my opinion on and asking you and/or woodchip where your corresponding evidence is. You then respond to CUDA as if I hadn't responded to him first. I don't know what I'm supposed to see, but it sure looks like you don't want to talk to me here.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:
Isaac wrote:Why is abortion always a key issue... ? :roll: It's so boring.
It would have been pretty important if your mother had aborted you. You talk like a fool. Life is important.
Woah. That's really deep. I never thought about it that way before. Abortion is the most important issue ever. If I was aborted I would be saying right now, "Ohhh!! I wish they didn't abort me! Grrrr!" From now on I will vote republican! You certainly made me take a good look at myself. /talk(fool)
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Re:

Post by CUDA »

Top Gun wrote:Well then, CUDA, care to explain it to me?
Here ya go try to keep up
You, first reply to this thread wrote:dumb as a sack of bricks.
you again 4th reply to this thread wrote:...you know, I don't really give a damn if you don't like the guy, but quit this ****-spewing already
followed by your next sentence with
Palin is legitimately mentally-challenged
SPEW

Will wrote: Why is it you are the only one allowed to have an opinion on which politician is as dumb as a sack of bricks? When you say it it's contributing to the debate but when someone else says it about your guy it is spewing *****?!? And you complain about the quality of the discussion after taking that elite position?!?
You Again wrote:Just keep dodging there.
seems to me like your the one dodging, Since with your first reply to the OP you rail on Palin.

I hope that clears it up for you.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

CUDA wrote:
Top Gun wrote:Well then, CUDA, care to explain it to me?
Here ya go try to keep up
You, first reply to this thread wrote:dumb as a sack of bricks.
Yeah, what did bricks ever do to you? :P

(CUDA: You <> you're <> your. Try to keep up.)
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Top Gun »

CUDA wrote:seems to me like your the one dodging, Since with your first reply to the OP you rail on Palin.

I hope that clears it up for you.
I supported what I said with numerous points of evidence. I've yet to see anyone else do the same. Again, am I writing my posts in invisible ink or something?
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by AlphaDoG »

Bet51987 wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
Will Robinson wrote:
Just keep dodging there.
They usually begin the insults when A: They're confronted with reason, or B: They feel threatened intellectually. Unless they begin discussion again you best be prepared for severe name calling.

Bee
Bee, Nevermind not worth the effort.
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by woodchip »

Top Gun wrote:
Will Robinson wrote:
Top Gun wrote:

Well lessasee here Top Gun, who was it that called the cops who arrested a certain college prof stupid?
Why:
"For a key ally to be left to his own devices while the President withdraws to have dinner in private was, until this week, unheard of. Yet that is how Binyamin Netanyahu was treated by President Obama"

Why if Obama said he attended a exclusive K-12 school in Hawaii, the school has no record of him.
Why if he's so smart did his atty. block access to his undergrad colleges, both Occidental and Columbia?
"(His Occidental GPA is unreleased but he transferred from the bottom 15% of his class, which at Occidental today, ranges between 0.11 and 0.20. Bear in mind that admissions standards have risen dramatically since his day.)"
Why will he not release his Columbia thesis about disarming the west?
Why does he try to walk though windows instead of doorways.

Say what you want about Palin, compared to the idiot savant in office, she is the far better and more capable person.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Re:

Post by Grendel »

Top Gun wrote:Again, am I writing my posts in invisible ink or something?
Don't bother, not worth your time. Same mindset as any other extremist out there.
ImageImage
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Top Gun wrote:
...seriously, what the hell has happened to this place? Is this sort of mindless trolling really considered a good standard for discussion around here now? This whole atmosphere has become so insular and one-sided over the years, I don't know that it's even possible to have a good debate anymore. Looking around, with the exception of two or three individuals, I feel like I'd be better off slamming my head into drywall than attempting to state a point.

Y'know, I'm part of groups whose political viewpoints I almost entirely disagree with, yet I find them to be far better places to have a good conversation than this folder has seemingly become, for the simple reason that people are tasked with sticking to facts and making informed statements. It used to be like that in here as well, or at least a hell of a lot more like that than right now. I'd expect the DBB E&C folder to be able to hold higher standards than an AM radio circle-jerk.
Listen, if you can't see that his foreign policy is going to sell us down the river to highest bider, you need to take those glasses off. I don't follow the news all that closely but it's still pretty obvious. The mess this guy will leave will make anything Bush left behind look like a cake walk.
You can love on this guy all you want and convince yourself why it's a good idea and that's fine. It's a free country and that's what this board is for. But if we don't agree with you then that's fine too. Bottom line, we will never be able to proof out our sources 100%. nearly ALL media is slanted; to the point that it's nearly impossible who REALLY has Genuine data.
so, either this guy is having a big middle-east love fest and really has no clue what this country is about or how it was built or SIMPLY DOESN'T CARE, or someone else is pulling the strings.

So.. about 1500 characters of blah blah blah or 13 to say the same thing.

Take a paxil dude.
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by AlphaDoG »

Isaac wrote:The only thing I fear is the loss of net neutrality. If "stupid b*!ch" and Romney run and say, "Net neutrality allows fair competition, so we will regulate the telecoms. (Sorry McCain, STFU; You don't understand the Internet.) " they will have my vote.
-If they remove the new health care bill instead of improving it: it doesn't work anyway. No whining from me.
-If they nuke the middle east and cause a terrorist retaliation: I'm fine. I live in the middle of no where, Texas.
-If they lower taxes for the rich: I hope I'm rich in a few years.
Just about every "major" issue isn't as big of a problem compared to not having a fair Internet business environment.
Our system isn't designed to get the best people into office. If she wins, she'll screw up. But, if the telecoms get their way, Youtube and all the other big multi-mill user sites will never be removed as the reigning kings of their categories. Imagine if AOL was as big of a presents today as it was back in the 90s, because the teleocoms allowed AOL to influence the amount of broadband they get over competitors, through some method of payment to the telecoms. And also, imagine if your competing video hosting site is deemed "dangerous" and is blocked, in the name of protecting the Internet. When really, they're keeping competition at bay.

She can have my vote, but I have to assume she's against neutrality (or is for Internet Freedom, aka anti-neutrality act with a tricky name).

on that I say "LIAR!"

More cake! The cake is a lie!

Where is OUR President on this? He's too concerned with whether or not you do or do not pay enough taxes! this BS will never last for more than, hmmm, let's see 2 more years, at most. Then WE THE PEOPLE are gonna elect SOMEONE that ACTUALLY cares about THE PEOPLE!
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re:

Post by Lothar »

Top Gun wrote:
...seriously, what the hell has happened to this place?

.... I'd expect the DBB E&C folder to be able to hold higher standards
... said the guy who opened the thread by calling Palin
dumb as a sack of bricks.
... and then who, when called on it, tried to justify the comment as something OTHER than mindless trolling.

Hold yourself to some higher standards next time. Don't drag threads off into the gutter and then complain that you're getting wet.

----------

As for the original question: Would you vote for a Scientologist? Or would you say "gee, someone who falls for that crap probably doesn't have the intellectual chops to be president"?

Much of the Christian world sees Mormonism as the 19th century equivalent to Scientology -- a religion based on a clearly fictional book written for the personal profit/power of its founder. This puts Romney in a tough spot. On the one hand, he's got great conservative credentials. On the other hand, his religious beliefs are as crazy to me as Sarah Palin's religious beliefs are to Bettina.

Palin is also damaged goods. She quit in the middle of her term as governor. She's been throwing red meat to the crazy wing of the party. She hasn't handled herself well in interviews, and she hasn't countered the spin about her well (consider: her comment about the proximity of Alaska to Russia was given in the context of a discussion about keeping up good international relations, and how important it was to respond to aggression in this small world of ours. Yet it's been reduced to a stupid-sounding sound byte.) Half of her party doesn't trust her, and nobody from the other side does.

IMO, a Palin-Romney ticket would be a horrible choice for the Republican party. Palin will scare off moderates and Romney will scare off evangelicals.

Unfortunately, the Republicans don't seem to have a lot of good options coming up. Huckabee is the embodiment of the scary theocratic wing of the Republican party.

I wish we could convince Petraeus to run. Get him a nice, sane, libertarian-leaning VP candidate and run on a reform-based, small-but-competent-government platform.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

AlphaDoG
x2
Where is he on this? The FCC just lost a neutrality battle recently. Where was he? I feel pretty ripped off right now. I shouldn't be that surprised but oh well..
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by AlphaDoG »

Lothar wrote:
IMO, a Palin-Romney ticket would be a horrible choice for the Republican party. Palin will scare off moderates and Romney will scare off evangelicals.

I wish we could convince Petraeus to run. Get him a nice, sane, libertarian-leaning VP candidate and run on a reform-based, small-but-competent-government platform.
I have to agree with OMG Lothar on this.