Descent 3 linux install

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

maxmingus
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Descent 3 linux install

Post by maxmingus »

I'm trying to install D3 on a box running ubuntu linux 9.10 (more precisely, 32-bit linux mint KDE) from the loki disks. The install runs fine, but when I start the game, I get the opening animation in a semi-transparent window and then the game exits when the menu should come up. Can anybody point me to a good set of instructions for getting D3 working on a modern linux box?

Thanks,
Max
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

Probably need to make a symlink to your current libgl.so library.

I had the same problem when trying to install it on my computer (with Ubuntu). The library is there, but D3 is looking for it to be named \"/usr/lib/libGL.so\" and the real file's name is \"/usr/lib/libGL.so.185.18.36\" or something like that. You may notice there's already a symlink called \"libGL.so.1\" which points to the correct file.

To fix this, you need to make another symlink called \"libGL.so\" that points to the correct file. Something like this, but change it to match your current libGL version:

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libGL.so.185* /usr/lib/libGL.so

This should fix the error.

You should also read through most of the Linux threads here in the tech section, some of them are still actively updated. Let us know if you need any help!
maxmingus
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by maxmingus »

FunkyStickman-

Thanks for the reply, but no luck.

I found the file you were referring to and made the symlink using the command you posted (subbing in my own version at the asterisk) but now the game won't load at all. Nothing happens when I double click the executable.

I found your posts from 2007 on converting from Windoze and downloaded your .tar.gz file. I'll have to hunt through my basement for the windows disks and see if that will do the trick.

Thanks for the help,
Max
maxmingus
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by maxmingus »

Funky Stickman-

I dug out my old Windows version of D3 and followed your guide. It worked perfectly and I was up waaay too late last night playing the 1st level.

Thanks again for your help,
Max
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

No problem! Glad I could help. Any suggestions for improving it?
maxmingus
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by maxmingus »

Yes, I do have a few suggestions which I've put below. Overall, this is a great piece of work and I really appreciate the time you spent putting this together.

Max

-----------------------

The last paragraph of section 2.5 reads:

And if you want things quick and easy, copy *everything* from the fake Windows install there with:
user@linux$ sudo cp -vR ~/.wine/drive_c/Games/Descent3/* /usr/local/games/Descent3
(Of course, substitute \"stickman\" for whatever your username is)

The reference to substituting your username for \"stickman\" is unnecessary here as it's not in the command.

--------------------
At 3.3, where you give the command for converting the file names to lower case, you don't give it in a noob-friendly fashion. At all other points you give the commands including the command prompt, here we get a line of code with a ===snip=== line above and below

--------------------
One thing you may add is how to create a shell command that will launch the game with your suggested arguments \"user@linux$ descent3 -n -c -f -o\" (or simply provide the file and instruct the users to move it as they wish).
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

All good points, I'll fix that as soon as I get the time. Thanks for the feedback!