Transformer

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Transformer

Post by woodchip »

No, not the computor size but one for ym big table saw. Fried the old transformer and had to have the motor rewound. Anyway everything worked when I hooked up the new transformer and rewound motor. Then I drilled a hole in the base flange of the transformer and appears I nicked the windings. Pic:

If you look just above the red wire you will see small nick. So my question is, is this enough to prevent imput voltage (220) from being stepped down to 110 and being read across out put terminals?

Top view of transformer:

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

If you can't see any metal or any wire its probably fine, but there is only one way to find out: hop over to a hardware store (or radio shack if it comes to that) and grab yourself an inexpensive digital multi-meter to test it with.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

I already used a meter and there is no 110 being read on the step down side. I do read the 220v at the input terminals. When I looked closely I did see a tiny copper glint so I assume I cut into the windings with the drill bit.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Hrm. That's wierd. I'd expect that if you did nick the windings, some of the turns would be shorted, and you'd get a voltage, but not 110.

Sounds like you probably have a new, expensive, paperweight.
Theftbot
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Theftbot »

All it takes is 1 open and you have no output. There is hardly shorts because the wire is insulated quite well.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Got the replacement transformer and everything works so the nick apparently was the culprit. Also slightly nicked the 2nd transformer as the plywood stop I used had a void in it :oops: Luckily the nick must of been less than the first one.