Moral equivalence and \"islamophobia\"

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Along the lines of this thread. What should we be teaching about religions other than Christianity in public schools? Nothing about Islam in Texas schools it seems.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100924/ap_ ... tion_islam

I guess if children don't learn about that nasty Islam, then they'll turn into nice little loving Christians. Out of sight, out of mind and ignorant because they learned nothing. :P
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

so your saying you want to teach about Islam in public schools???

I guess if children don't learn about that nasty Islam, then they'll turn into nice little loving Christians.
well you didn't learn about Islam in school and your not a \"Nice little loving Christian\" so I guess that shoots that argument in the foot doesn't it?
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Post by Heretic »

I thought she was against religion in schools?
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

Ok so it's ok to teach Islam. Hold on my head is spinning, but yet, praying to Christ, is not ok?

Holy Smokes.
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Re:

Post by CUDA »

AlphaDoG wrote:Ok so it's ok to teach Islam. Hold on my head is spinning, but yet, praying to Christ, is not ok?

Holy Smokes.
NO praying to Christ is OK but not if your a Politician :)
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Top Gun »

AlphaDoG wrote:Ok so it's ok to teach Islam. Hold on my head is spinning, but yet, praying to Christ, is not ok?

Holy Smokes.
Who was talking about praying? If a history class ignores a major religion practiced by a billion people today that's had a massive influence on world events, there's sort of a problem with said class. It'd be the same if the curriculum downplayed Judaism, Christianity, Buddhism, or Hinduism.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

Top Gun wrote:

Holy Smokes.
Who was talking about praying? If a history class ignores a major religion practiced by a billion people today that's had a massive influence on world events, there's sort of a problem with said class. It'd be the same if the curriculum downplayed Judaism, Christianity, Buddhism, or Hinduism.
you are correct. How do you feel about removing the mention from the history books that the terrorists that attacked America were radical Islamists?
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by null0010 »

Will Robinson wrote:
Top Gun wrote:

Holy Smokes.
you are correct. How do you feel about removing the mention from the history books that the terrorists that attacked America were radical Islamists?
I think it's more important to mention that they were Saudi nationals, to be honest.
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Post by Heretic »

Mohamed Mohamed el-Amir Awad el-Sayed Atta Was Egyptian, Ziad Jarrah was Lebanese. Marwan al-Shehhi and Fayez Banihammad were from the United Arab Emirates.
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by null0010 »

Heretic wrote:Mohamed Mohamed el-Amir Awad el-Sayed Atta Was Egyptian, Ziad Jarrah was Lebanese. Marwan al-Shehhi and Fayez Banihammad were from the United Arab Emirates.
Okay, and everyone else was Saudi.

But actually, I think it would be better to paint these guys as radicals, extremists, or just plain crazy people. :|
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

null0010 wrote:
Will Robinson wrote:
Top Gun wrote:

Holy Smokes.
I think it's more important to mention that they were Saudi nationals, to be honest.
That is such a stupid line of pure rhetoric. As was pointed out they were not all Saudi's. The democrats liked that fabricated talking point when Bush was in because he had extended his hand to the Saudi's so it made stupid or ignorant voters think the administration was chasing the wrong snake down the wrong hole.
We don't have to follow the party line talking points do we?

As an example, Muhammed Atta was Egyptian and he was no radical until he attended the Al Quds mosque in Hamburg Germany where he was radicalized from a scared little engineering student into a pilot and leader of the 9/11 attack. Saudi Arabia had no impact on his choices, same with the home country of many of the others. Radical Islam had EVERYTHING to do with it in EVERY one of the choices made by EVERY member of the attack. But they don't even want that important part mentioned in the history books and I don't see anyone raising outrage over the publishers having Muslims cause that ommision from the school books.