No Sound

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

No Sound

Post by Bet51987 »

We have a new Dell XPS 8100 but I can't get sound to work in Descent3. The sound is integral to the mother board and when I look at the device mgr it lists six lines of text:

Nvidia Hi Def Audio
Nvidia Hi Def Audio
Nvidia Hi Def Audio
Nvidia Hi Def Audio
Nvidia Hi Def Audio
Realtec Hi Def Audio

There is also a folder on the Hard Disk that says:

THX TRU STUDIO PC

Now, just to let you know, all my music files, videos, and every other program requiring sound all play beautifully. Just D3's sound doesn't work.

I went through the D3 setup and redetected all audio but it didn't work for any of the choices listed which were:

No sound
Primary sound driver
Speaker (Realtec Hi Def Audio)
Realtec Digital Output

Any clues?

Bee
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Did you check and make sure the -nosound command line option isn't in there by accident?
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

Krom wrote:Did you check and make sure the -nosound command line option isn't in there by accident?
Yes. There's nothing in the option command line. I have no sound in the launcher either even though it's checked. I just got home so I'm going to update all my drivers from the Dell site....

Bee

EDIT: Still nothing. None of the drivers needed to be updated and there were no windows updates needed. My dad had a Pinnacle studio capture card installed that was not working and showed up as an exclamation point in device manager. (not compatible with win 7) I removed it and it's driver and device manager is clean now.

I uninstalled D3 and reinstalled. When it was done it played the opening movie with sound just fine as it did last time. I went through the launcher setup which still detects the realtec HD audio and then applied the 1.4 patch.

I forgot to mention last time that I can only get into the games through the d3 tracker. If I use the launcher, the launcher hangs up and I have to end it's process. Throught the tracker, I can fly around fine...but no sound at all.

Bee
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

viewtopic.php?p=260095#260095 (red note)

Don't install D3 under \"C:\\Progem Files\", use the default \"C:\\Games\". Use \"Primary Sound Driver\", \"DirectSound\".
ImageImage
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Other odds and ends you can check out: if you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, make sure D3 isn't muted in volume control.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

I'm buried in clinicals right now but I'll try those and get back to you in a few days.

Thanks to both of you. :)

Bee
captain_twinkie
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by captain_twinkie »

One of a few things I have seen, 1 you may need to install the driver directly from Realtek, I have seen realtek soundcards only liking that driver. Also a issue I saw on a laptop I had with Vista on it, it had a realtek card. And you need to open the sound section in control panel and in either the playback or recording section, right click and select show disabled devices, and I have seen a few different devices disabled and that actually fixed a few different issues that I have had.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

I followed Grendel's link to Bubbalou's post and did the red part, then while I was at it I did the Nvidia Program Override yellow part. It worked. I have sound now so thanks for the help. I just have to get my keys programmed now.

I'm a little frustrated because I don't consider myself computer illiterate yet I never would've been able to do this on my own. Thanks again.

Bee
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Yw :) Note that w/ Nvidia cards you will end up w/ a black screen most times after the game ends or you leave. The game still runs tho, the sequence ESC Q ENTER should get you back to the desktop.
ImageImage