Help! Trichording problem

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Private_Joker
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Help! Trichording problem

Post by Private_Joker »

Only in 6DoF would this be a problem:

My key layout requires that if I want to trichord, I have to hold keys A+F+B at the same time. I invite any Windows XP users to try that right now--you'll probably get a loud \"BEEP\" from your speakers after about two seconds.

Not only that, but if you try to function with them in game, you can only use two. I can get the functions of A+F, F+B, or A+B just fine, but when I try to add the third in, it just wont' go.

This is not the case with all trichording. I can do A+S+B just fine, and Q+E+F and such.

Help! Is this a Windows service? Is it the kernel? How can I get to proper trichording? (I refuse to change my keyboard layout)

-Joker
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

It's a limitation of the keyboard, called a key-conflict. Certain simultaneous key combinations don't all register. I had the same problem a few years back, and it drove me absolutely nuts.

Anyway, there are a couple of things you can do:

1. Get a new keyboard that performs better with the key-combinations you need.

There are some 'gamer' keyboards out there (some good, some not so much), and a couple of other reliable models. I've seen a couple of recommendations around here before, but I don't recall the details. Maybe one of the others here can help.

2. Get an alternate controller.

There are various things out there, but personally I've been using the N52 / N52te for a few years. It was an easy transition from the keyboard, and immediately solved my key-conflict issues.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

You need a keyboard w/ a higher key rollover value.
ImageImage
Swazook
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Swazook »

Great post Foil - So does Rebirth D2 just see the N52 as a keyboard when you go in to edit your controls?

I'm using wasdx and space, but it looks like that would be more comfortable and I'm wondering if it would have at least or better response time than the actual keyboard?

And what is the difference between the tN52 and N5ste?

Thanks!
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

An alternate idea would be to try moving the layout of your keys to a different are of the keyboard, or to change your keyboard config to something thats more friendly. Would take a little bit to memorize, but that usually only takes a few days.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

Swazook wrote:So does Rebirth D2 just see the N52 as a keyboard when you go in to edit your controls?
Yes.
Swazook wrote:I'm using wasdx and space, but it looks like that would be more comfortable and I'm wondering if it would have at least or better response time than the actual keyboard?
Note that there are other similar controllers out there as well. I'd suggest going to a store that has them on display to see which one is most comfortable.
Swazook wrote:And what is the difference between the N52 and N52te?
Most of the differences are aesthetic, but the functional differences I've noticed are:
- the N52te has more sensitive keys
- the N52te d-pad is more robust (I've had the N52 d-pad break on three different units, glad I had the Best Buy Replacement coverage on all of 'em)
- the N52te programming is saved in BIOS, so the only time I ever need to use the Belkin software is if I need to change something.