Polytron32 on Wine

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

minmay
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Polytron32 on Wine

Post by minmay »

Has anyone gotten Polytron32 to run in Wine? So far all I've accomplished is getting it to freeze at the splash screen.

I want to make custom robot models for Descent 2, but I do not have frequent access to a Windows computer.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Although a bit of an extreme solution, but where Wine doesn't work: VirtualBox probably will.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Sometimes a front-end app helps, like PlayonLinux, but it's never made a huge difference for me.

:idea: The best thing is to run wine from the terminal and see what's missing, since it normally tells you what dll it's looking for. NORMALLY! I'm trying to get a free game to run with no luck, at the moment...
minmay
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re:

Post by minmay »

Isaac wrote::idea: The best thing is to run wine from the terminal and see what's missing, since it normally tells you what dll it's looking for. NORMALLY! I'm trying to get a free game to run with no luck, at the moment...
That was actually one of the first things I tried, but I just get an infinite number of fixmes regarding the palette - not really useful.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm getting, however that can happen even if the program is working perfectly fine, according to some...

I would investigate my issue further, which could also help you, but it's final exam week!!! AAAAAAAHH!!!!! :shock:
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

You mostly want to pay attention to the errors, and don't worry too much about the fixme's.

The VirtualBox suggestion is pretty much bullet-proof.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Polytron is hard enough to get working on Windows, never mind Linux. The most surefire thing I can think of is a VM with either a WinXP or (better) Win98 image on it.