Google: \"Please use Firefox, not Chrome.\"

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Google: \"Please use Firefox, not Chrome.\"

Post by Isaac »

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

pwnd
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

pwnd? Hardly. I don't think Google cares at all about forcing their browser on everyone so they gladly support firefox. It seems more like they actually want to make better software to advance technology instead of the \"embrace, extend, extinguish\" mentality of their very obviously evil rival. Google also donates tons of money to the Mozilla Foundation.
Why doesn't it work?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

The two-browser thing Google has going on is nearly as bizarre as the two-OS thing they have going on. :D The winner in each case is the one without Chrome in the name, but that's just my opinion...
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Well I dislike Firefox, though I have had to use it when a site isn't compatible with one of the Chrome beta versions. Through this problem hasn't occurred since the last few Chrome updates. I'm glad I don't need Google Gears or I would have a reason to start using Firefox again. However, I'm quite sure with time that Google will fix this compatibility problem. I = pwnd until then, not Google, Xamindar.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

I really like chrome in many ways, but I've also run into quite a few sites that won't behave right in chrome, and work fine in IE and FF.

I still use Chrome because it's so fast though...
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Yeah, I like the extension support Firefox provides more than speed though... that would be nice when they finally get around to improving it of course.

That and, I suppose, there's an emotional part of it. Firefox was kind of the \"viva la resistance\" thing, Chrome ... not so much.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Thenior »

Sirius wrote:Yeah, I like the extension support Firefox provides more than speed though... that would be nice when they finally get around to improving it of course.

That and, I suppose, there's an emotional part of it. Firefox was kind of the "viva la resistance" thing, Chrome ... not so much.
Yeah..Chrome was kind of like, eh, why do we need another browser?
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

Google is the new Microsoft. ^_~
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

What, no one uses Netscape Navigator anymore? :wink:
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re:

Post by TigerRaptor »

Foil wrote:What, no one uses Netscape Navigator anymore? :wink:
Here is your answer :P

Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

That's interesting. Being a Webkit browser, I would have thought that Chrome would be well supported, getting Safari's support for free. It probably boils down to awful code like this:

Code: Select all

if (isSafari()) { // where's the chrome love?
    webkitHack();
}
I have way too many valuable Firefox extensions at this point to switch to Chrome. Mozilla did well with extensions--they made them amazingly simple to write. I don't know if this is the case with Chrome.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Well I'm in love with Chrome, so... there..
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

i switched to chrome after i got sick of Firefox's bloat.
Chrome is very fast.

Why is it so many programs that start out minimalist, end up being bloated and unusable. They get complacent. Firefox you have broken my heart T_T, Chrome and i have been seeing eachother for years now secretly... it's.... it's just over firefox.
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Skyalmian »

roid wrote:Why is it so many programs that start out minimalist, end up being bloated and unusable.
"More, more, more." is often seen as "progress".

In spite of [Mozilla] SeaMonkey (/user of) being a suite of programs such as browser, mail, editor, and chat client, it's quite awesome that it runs way faster than Firefox does. :) I make use of the first 3 components and have a huge profile but this thing has no issue with handling enormous amounts of data -- but the profile ported to Firefox, does.