South Korea to attack NK?

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

South Korea to attack NK?

Post by Nightshade »

Dennis Blair, former Director of National Intelligence, stated on CNN's program State of the Union that South Korea may actually attack North Korea soon.

http://news.antiwar.com/2010/12/12/form ... ack-north/

Now, I'm no supporter of North Korea nor am a fan of \"peace at any cost,\" especially when a nation keeps staging attacks on you and you haven't responded- but this is dangerous.

I wouldn't want SK to attack NK for the simple fact that it would be viewed as a war started by the South REGARDLESS of previous provocations by the North.

The ROK (Republic of Korea/South Korea) should have responded either after the sinking of the Cheonon OR the recent shelling of ROK civilians immediately in kind rather than stage separate retaliation. Previous such tit for tat encounters never ended in all out war. This attack (if indeed it is being seriously considered) may end up in total war.

Does President Lee Myung-bak (president of ROK) seriously believe that China will simply hold back while the ROK, along with support from US forces, swarm across the NLL north after a bombing campaign? In fact he thinks annexation of NK is coming soon!

http://news.antiwar.com/2010/12/10/sout ... wing-near/

I would rather wait for the regime to collapse on its own (as it seems to be in the process of doing) or let it stage one last provocation before a justifiable counter-attack. Timing makes a difference.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

I think China is probably tired of NK and would see a unified Korea as being a good trade partner. Unifying the Korea's has many benefits and I wouldn't be surprised if some enterprising NK general took over, worked out a reconciliation deal and be hailed as a hero of Korea. Of course a generous retirement package would also be helpful.

The bad scenario is a out and out invasion by the south where the resulting civilian body count would be staggering.
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

According to the Wikileaks cable drops, China likes South Korea better, so...
Fear is the engine that destroys freedom.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

This article appeared today:

Mullen: Risk of War Rising on Korean Peninsula

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/12 ... peninsula/
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

hmm. I was going to post a new thread on a topic related to this, but the schedule's been crazy. So I'll just pose it here.

I was wondering if China doesn't just feel that they have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo on the Korean peninsula. And that's despite the frequently goofy and provocative behavior of elements of the PRNK regime. I think the Chinese are willing to give the North Koreans just enough to keep them as a barely viable state as opposed to the potential for a unified Korea on the South Korean model, which, long term, could be an even more significant competitor to China on the global market. I think they'd prefer the status quo even over North Korean style hegemony over the entire peninsula, since the status quo keeps the western interests occupied with maintaining the peace (and the costs of such), while the Chinese just keep throwing the Kim's enough yuan to keep them from going under.

I think China is more interested now in the economic ramifications of their policies that the political issues.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Hasnt korea been, technically, at war since the korean war?

Regardless, this is indeed risky, xonsidering that its likely that NK actually has nukes. If I were a power mad dictator and I had nukes, and I was going down, take one guess what I'm gonna use?
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Japan 'Could Deploy Troops in Korea in Emergency'

\"Seoul was also reportedly concerned that the consultation itself could give the impression that a war is imminent.\"

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/htm ... 00401.html

\"...there's something happinin here
what it is aint exactly clear
theres a man with a gun over there
tellin me i got to beware

i think it's time we stop, children
what's that sound
everybody look what's goin down

there's battle lines being drawn
nobody's right if everybody's wrong...\"

- Buffalo Springfield
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Russian forces on alert over Korea tension-report
Russia has put its forces on alert in the country's far east because of increased tension on the Korean Peninsula, the Interfax news agency quoted the top military commander as saying Tuesday.
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6BD1PZ20101214

Something is definitely on the radar.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: South Korea to attack NK?

Post by roid »

This is SPAM. SPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMSPAM
SPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMSPAM

ALL of Thunderbunny's posts in this thread, are copy-pasted word-for-word from other websites (ie: http://orbat.com/site/news.html ). And we're not the only website he's spamming this with, he's also spamming people's blogs with the same stuff word-for-word. (ie: http://www.1913intel.com/2010/12/10/nor ... wired-com/ )

I use the word spam deliberately, that's what this is.

The only original words Thunderbunny has written in this ENTIRE THREAD so far is this:
ThunderBunny wrote:Something is definitely on the radar.
He's not even reading the replies. He's an automated bot.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Roid's post is substantial.

Can we do something about CopyBunny?
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Wow, Roid's on the drugs today.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

maybe roid has posted those things to other places so he can come here to discredit and silence TB because roid is in fact the operative for the other side...

Isn't politics as usual so much fun?
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Actually, I wrote that post myself here and posted copies of what I wrote to my pal at orbat and to Matt at 1913intel.

Roid has it backwards I think. I wrote the actual post and then \"spammed\" friends of mine with what I wrote here.

Anyway, Roid seems to be either out of meds or on too many of 'em. :P
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by null0010 »

ThunderBunny wrote:Actually, I wrote that post myself here and posted copies of what I wrote to my pal at orbat and to Matt at 1913intel.
The dates check out for Orbat, but the post on 1913 is before the post here on the DBB. :wink:
VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by VonVulcan »

Who gives a Shat, freedom of speech and all that, if you don't like it, don't read it and STFU.
(20:12) STRESSTEST: Im actually innocent this time
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

So if I write up a post in Notepad…then post them on three different websites…but they are not in an order that conforms to somebody’s expectations…do I get detention, and have to go to bed without supper?
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

The point is, the Kim family regime may collapse soon and things are getting delicate there. It will be bad for many people in the short term- and how bad remains to be seen.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by roid »

Spidey wrote:So if I write up a post in Notepad…then post them on three different websites…but they are not in an order that conforms to somebody’s expectations…do I get detention, and have to go to bed without supper?
TB's dishonesty doesn't bother you?
He just lied to cover his ass and got called on it, in case you didn't notice.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

That's disputable.

If he posted it say, days before he posted it here, he definitely posted it there first.

If its only hours tho, its possible that the other sites time is set to display in such a way that it doesn't accurately account for time zone differences.

And while I would love to see Copy'n'PasteBunny thrown to the wolves as much as anyone, this topic does seem to deserve some legitimate discussion.
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by null0010 »

roid wrote:
Spidey wrote:So if I write up a post in Notepad…then post them on three different websites…but they are not in an order that conforms to somebody’s expectations…do I get detention, and have to go to bed without supper?
TB's dishonesty doesn't bother you?
He just lied to cover his ass and got called on it, in case you didn't notice.
I was only giving him a hard time. If you look at the 1913 post, it is made by a person with the username "Thunderbunny."
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

ThunderBunny got a reputation for hit'n'run copy/paste posts a few years go. At the time, most of his posts consisted of a single copypasta'd blog or article without any commentary, and he was called out for it on numerous occasions.

Since then, however, his posts have been primarily his own words, and he has provided links for the quotes he uses.

Although I often disagree with the content, I have no problem with TB re-posting at other sites, or re-posting here. Posts which spur dialogue are a good thing.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Which content did your disagree with? :P
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

Yeah, we all know how much you care about honesty and all things noble and pure, roid. :roll: That's why you post nonsense here while intoxicated and grace us with your infinite wisdom and \"knowledge\" from wikipedia after your hangover.

Speaking of copycats, at least ThunderBunny has a different viewpoint than the hive mind herd. Besides, it's not like people haven't been just copying and pasting links in the Cafe for the past 6 years anyway.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Well, if I posted only my opinions, I would be accused of making up things without a source...and when I post links to something, I'm a \"copy paste\" artist.

The real deal is- they don't agree with the viewpoint, so they try to shout you down rather than discuss the subject.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Avder »

ThunderBunny wrote:Well, if I posted only my opinions, I would be accused of making up things without a source...and when I post links to something, I'm a "copy paste" artist.

The real deal is- they don't agree with the viewpoint, so they try to shout you down rather than discuss the subject.
Why dont you try posting your opinions, with the copypasta links as sources cited?

Didnt I say this exact same thing a few copypasta threads ago?
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Isn't copypasta something Italian?
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

Something tells me that Thunderbunny is right and no one would care if he posted more of his opinions and the posted the sources (i.e., do both).
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Uh, oh, the merde is about to hit the ventilateur if somebody doesn't blink with all this saber rattling nonsense.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101217/ts_ ... orea_north
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

\"What's likely is they will do something as a face-saving action, such as firing their own artillery near the disputed waters,\" he [Baek Seung-joo of the Korea Institute for Defense Analyses, an expert on North Korea's military strategy] said.
I hope so.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Oh shi-
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Avder wrote:
ThunderBunny wrote:Well, if I posted only my opinions, I would be accused of making up things without a source...and when I post links to something, I'm a "copy paste" artist.

Why dont you try posting your opinions, with the copypasta links as sources cited?

Didnt I say this exact same thing a few copypasta threads ago?
Bingo.

pure copypasta suggests a semi-automated bot. I mean, it would be rather easy to program up a script to make Thunderbunny style copy-paste-&-run posts. All of this has been said before, but it's clearly not sinking in to your head TB.

Thunderbunny please at least give a solid impression that you are doing more than just pressing a button to trigger a "post this on DBB" script without caring about dialogue. This isn't your re-tweet feed with comments turned off, it's a forum. Forums are for dialogue, you know back and forth? it's not one way.

TB if your hit-&-run threads started being deleted i wonder if you'd even notice - since you rarely come back to them.

But if you're keen to reference your opinions - then add references to your opinions.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

It would be kinda nice if a mod could separate this thread into a NK discussion thread and a \"ThunderBunny is a damned copypasta drive by'er\" thread, cause both are good topics, but I'd kinda like to actually read a whole thread about NK and its threats to nuke.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Back on topic. Keep an eye on Korea Monday and tues as that is when SK will carry out Arty drills. To which NK replies:

\"The North warned Friday that it would strike even harder than before if the South went ahead with its planned drills. Four people died last month in the North's attack on Yeonpyeong Island near the tense sea border.\"

\"The North issued a warning Saturday saying South Korea would face \"catastrophe\" if it went ahead with the planned drills, the Foreign Ministry said in a statement carried by the official Korean Central News Agency.\"

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20101218/D9K6BB6G0.html

curious how NK can carry out murderous incidents and get away with it. Will be interesting to see if the artillery exercise actually draws a response militarily from NK. If NK does then watch for how fast a escalation occurs. Could be very ominous.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

So right now we've got north an south Korea getting set to dance in the nuclear fire, trade disputes involving china, japan and the us, never ending discontent in the middle east, a disgruntled Russia, and isn't Venezuela trying to pull some ★■◆● too?

Monday and Tuesday this week should be very interesting indeed.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Drill is over. Things are calm. Perhaps NK lost its nerve when SK/US were at the ready.
Mjolnir
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Mjolnir »

Sigh... NK didn't lose it's nerve, they make it a point to never get into any sort of real conflict normally. Though they went a bit further with the shelling then normal, they act out when they want something.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

So should I tell any kids I have in the future to stop acting like North Korea if they start trying to get stuff through temper tantrums?

lol
Mjolnir
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Mjolnir »

That would actually be a pretty perfect analogy.
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

yeah, especially since kids are baby goats, and they can only be told things by men who stare at g0atz *_*

\"My northern style somehow lost to your southern one!\" ^_~

Quit talking about copypasta. You're making me hungry. =P and quit eating my makeup. @_@