Symptoms of a dying DVD drive?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Red_5
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Symptoms of a dying DVD drive?

Post by Red_5 »

I'm trying to copy my virtual orchestra libraries from disc to my hard drive. So far I've encountered nasty buzzing noises, inability to read DVDs on the first several tries (CDs read ok), unbelievably slow copying speeds (right now it's taking over ten minutes to copy 47.9mb of data), outright refusal to copy (hangs on \"Estimating Time Remaining\" and forces me to restart Explorer).

Specs:
Dell Dimension C521, about 5 years old
Windows 7 Home Premium
Stock DVD drive (TSSTcorp)
1.8GHZ AMD Sempron
2GB Ram

Thanks!
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Sounds like you're probably right. Best proof is a new drive!
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Burned disks have a limited shelf life, although burnable DVDs haven't even been around long enough for a good quality burn to degrade to unreadable state yet. If the disk or the burn was of poor quality though, older disks could be running out of life. Best way is to check the same disks in a different drive (although some drives will still read better than others).

Also it could be dust/debris on the lens, a good blast of clean compressed air can't hurt at any rate.
Red_5
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Red_5 »

I wouldn't be quite as worried if the discs were in fact burned... They're commercial discs from Vienna Instruments and they're in perfect condition.

I'll try some compressed air and see if that helps.
captain_twinkie
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by captain_twinkie »

Commercial discs are still burned...... I would try the disks in a different drive, also do other DVDs have the same issue?
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

Commercial discs are actually stamped.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re:

Post by Krom »

Thenior wrote:Commercial discs are actually stamped.
Correct, they are struck with a die much like coins in order to efficiently mass produce them.

For early disks there is a type of mold that can get into the laminate and destroy the data layer, but there is plainly visible discoloration when that happens so it is pretty unlikely.
Red_5
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Red_5 »

I'll try them in a different drive but 4 out of 5 of them really had a hard time being read.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

If dusting out the drive doesn't do it, then you are probably correct and the drive is on its way out. Fortunately good DVD burners are pretty inexpensive these days.
Red_5
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Red_5 »

That's what I likes to hear (aside from the part where my DRIVE MIGHT BE DEAD...)

Thanks guys!
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Normally dusting isn't necessary, the drag created by the rotating disks keeps the lens clean of dust. So my guess is that the drive is on the way out, esp. if it's older -- laser diodes have a limited lifetime and the pickup assembly looses alignment from mechanical wear. A good DVD burner should be around US$25.
ImageImage
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

$16 samsung shipped - on sale at newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 51192-L04C