Need to setup a system for basic voice acting/dialogue.

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Need to setup a system for basic voice acting/dialogue.

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Hey everyone,

I need to develop dialogue for a Fallout New Vegas mod very soon and I need something decent to record with, other than a computer microphone. I'm on a college budget so I can't afford a lot right now. I won't really need this setup for anything else, just some basic voice acting. I need it to be a reasonably affordable setup.

I'm assuming something along the lines of probably audacity, a decent sound card, and a good microphone?
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

you don't even need a decent soundcard.
all you need is an adequate* microphone.

*a highly debatable subject

personally i just use a $2 mic lol
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

Just bought a Blue snoball from B&H with a shock mount, stand, and pop filter for $120. Works awesome.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

The record quality of most on board sound cards is probably sufficient for what you are trying to do, the main thing will be killing any noise/echos from the room you are recording in.
TheWhat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by TheWhat »

Your college must have a multimedia department type thing. Have you checked into the options they have for mics?
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Thanks guys. My wife and I live in an apartment with two walk-in closets. So, all I need to do for my project is basically cover the walls of one of the walk-in closets with thick blankets or curtains (some home-made remedies that I've seen on You Tube). Yes, my college has a sound and video studio but that isn't my area of expertise, nor is it my vocation. I'm a first time tech student going into Information Technology Systems so it is a bit out of the way for me. This project is just a hobby on the side. ;) So, I just want something good enough to make it enjoyable for the player and I want it to look and feel a little more professionally done than most Fallout mods. :) The only reason I'm doing it, is because it is usually better as a mod designer to do things yourself as much as absolutely possible rather than trying to rely on the work of others lol. I'll probably get my wife and a couple of my friends to come over and work on some of the voice acting for the characters before release and I'm keeping all the complex character dialogue to a minimal. I may have a couple of voice actors over the net, help out but I don't want my project, depending on them either. ;)

Also, for a pop-filter, I've read that you can make one out of something circular and cover it with a nylon stalking and double layer it for a double pop-filter if you like. :)

I think my biggest concern is a microphone. Any suggestions on a good, affordable, and inexpensive mic? I have DJ'd (iTunes via playlist, with my computer and a nice stereo system) for a few weddings and it would actually be nice to have an ok microphone for this as well.

I probably wont do anything like this often so I just need to go the least expensive route that I can. I plan to start this part of the project during the Summer months since it will take some time and I will only be working as apposed to going to school and working. ;)