Front Audio jacks

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

captain_twinkie
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Front Audio jacks

Post by captain_twinkie »

So in my newly built machine I have ran into a snag that I am a little stumped on how to fix. I am trying to get my front audio jacks to work, and to mute my speakers when they are plugged in.

This is the motherboard I have.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813130254

And this is the case.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811156239

The board has the realtek HD audio on it and after some googling I found the to get the front jacks to work at all I have to go into the Realtek click on the folder icon under Device advanced settings, and select front panel Jack detection, which makes the front jacks work, but it still won't mute the speakers. And in Device advanced settings I have Mute the rear output device, when a front headphone plugged in. And it still isn't working since it not \"detecting\" headphones plugged in because that setting is turned on to disable detecting of the front jacks. I can set the headphones to be the default device and that will mute the speakers, but when I unplug the headphones I can't hear anything from the speakers till I make the speakers the default device.

So I am stumped on how to get this working, and BTW its Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate, which the Realtek driver all the way updated.

Also it does the same thing on different headphones.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Either unplug the speakers when you use headphones, or buy a nicer set of speakers that have a power switch so you can turn them off.

Problem solved.
Why doesn't it work?
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I have the same problem with my on-board audio. Even though it's set in the device manager to auto-detect the headphone jack, the rear speakers still put out audio when the headphones plugged in and I have the Asus Rampage III with the X-Fi audio chip.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Best solution is to get a pair of PC speakers that have a headphone jack and mute themselves when you plug it in. I've never seen the front audio jack properly mute the rear jacks in a PC before.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Or just switch the speakers off when needed (that's what I do).
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Anybody know of a good 2 speaker/sub woofer setup that's amplified by separate AC power (no damn batteries) with volume control, AND is slim and can hang on the wall?