Congrats Bee

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Congrats Bee

Post by CUDA »

On being made a Moderator.

just dont ban me too quickly :P
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re: Congrats Bee

Post by Gekko71 »

CUDA wrote:On being made a Moderator.

just dont ban me too quickly :P
:lol:

X2 - well done Bee
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Post by Richard Cranium »

Yes, congrats. You'll do fine.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

I did offer my congrats with sincerity.
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

Blaze
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Blaze »

I thought I heard someone say she was already a moderator...

She should have been a moderator here in the first place... :)
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by CUDA »

Bet51987 wrote:if I find you suddenly being nice to me, or stop insulting me, I'll quit being a mod. :)

Bee
I wouldn't think of it. :twisted:

― Theodore Roosevelt
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by CUDA »

roid wrote:Image
LOL @ Censorship.

― Theodore Roosevelt
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

I think roid hit the nail on the head.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Censorship is always fluid. How it gets applied depends on any single's person's definition of \"lewd\" and \"crude\". Does that mean someone else's arbitrary rules apply evenly to everyone when a particular word is used?

Have fun and congrats Bee. It's going to be a hard slog keeping all of us reigned in. :lol:
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

This forum has rules. if people abide by these rules then there would be no reason for a Moderator or Moderation.
Now if someone choses to violate or try to circumvent (in this case the swear filter) those rules then their post can be modified or deleted entirely. by joining this forum you consented to abide by those conditions. therefore it is not censorship because this is not an area of free speech.

― Theodore Roosevelt
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

That's true. I was only talking about censorship in society in general. If I wanted to cuss a blue moon, I'd join the NHB forum where you could. But I don't think that's very pleasant place to discuss things and I don't get my entertainment out of blindly swearing. Getting around the parser and moderators is just a mild game of cat and mouse civility.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

Sorry TC, I wasnt directing my post to you. I was directing it to the premise of Censorship on this forum in general.

― Theodore Roosevelt
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Re:

Post by Ferno »

Bet51987 wrote:Now let me know if you feel that kind of language should be censored here or not. And, if the answer is yes, then where do I draw the line. If no, then I appreciate the honesty.
these are the kind of decisions that you need to make on your own.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by CUDA »

Ferno wrote:
Bet51987 wrote:Now let me know if you feel that kind of language should be censored here or not. And, if the answer is yes, then where do I draw the line. If no, then I appreciate the honesty.
these are the kind of decisions that you need to make on your own.
agreed, we are all adults here, hence we should be able to find a more mature way of communication with out the use of the f-bomb every other word.
But keep in mind we are all adults here and we don't need to be treated like children and edited needlessly.

FYI if you feel someone is getting carried away with the language and you feel the need to edit. then you'll have my support, and if they dont like it, then they can do what they did the last time they didn't like it. start their own forum.

― Theodore Roosevelt
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by null0010 »

They are words. They should not be censored.
Fear is the engine that destroys freedom.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by CUDA »

null0010 wrote:
REALLY. would you like to reconsider that?

― Theodore Roosevelt
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re:

Post by Lothar »

null0010 wrote:
If you visit my grandma's house, you'll watch your language out of respect for my grandma. Why should this board be any different?

I fully support the free exchange of ideas. On very rare occasions, an idea actually can't be properly expressed without swearing. Most of the time, it can. So show us a little respect and don't bypass the swear filter without extremely good reason.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Avder »

Bet51987 wrote:
Avder wrote:I think roid hit the nail on the head.
Planet Descent, Descentbb.net and Descentbb.com, all operate with their own set of rules and I'm a member of each forum. Go to Descentbb.com, then to the PTMC Saloon and click on page 3 of the .net thread. then look at the first post from "The What".

Now let me know if you feel that kind of language should be censored here or not. And, if the answer is yes, then where do I draw the line. If no, then I appreciate the honesty.

Bee
No, I do not believe that kind of language should be allowed here, however I dont think its because of the vulgarities. Vulgarities are a part of life that to be honest, will always come up at some point in life. Deal with it.

No, that kind of language should be allowed in this forum because its a flame variety of personal attack, which diminishes the possibility of actual debate.

You basically stated that the extent of your moderation will be swear filter enforcement, and that you intend to let the:
...flame wars, personal attacks, name calling, generalized spew, and any other form of disruption that goes on in the E&C to self moderate as it has in the past...
To be honest, it seems to me the very definition of a moderator is to step in when things start to get out of hand and to keep the participants from slitting eachothers throats. Granted, you are correct in the fact that a lot of the stuff in this forum seems to die out, however there are going to be times when people need to be given a time out, or a thread split because it veered way off topic. If all you are going to do is scold people because they want to drop an f-bomb, then no I do not respect your position as moderator and do not believe you are qualified to be in that position.

Lothar and Birdseye, when they were active, were generally both rather reluctant to do any actual moderating, but when the appropriate situations came up, they did moderate.

I hope you appreciate my honesty.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by roid »

Lets actually link to what we're talking about here ok Bett?
Bet51987 wrote:
Avder wrote:I think roid hit the nail on the head.
Planet Descent, Descentbb.net and Descentbb.com, all operate with their own set of rules and I'm a member of each forum. Go to Descentbb.com, then to the PTMC Saloon and click on page 3 of the .net thread. then look at the first post from "The What".

Now let me know if you feel that kind of language should be censored here or not. And, if the answer is yes, then where do I draw the line. If no, then I appreciate the honesty.

Bee
TheWhat ON THE .COM (this is the post in question) wrote:A good decision? Appeasing some whinefest that cant make it through her day because someone typed "★■◆●ing ★■◆● teef" is not a good decision.

haha. ;-)
Well the honest succinct truth should always be tolerated, and that's what TheWhat clearly wrote.
So which were you offended by: "whinefest", or the "teef" hypothetical? Surely not the latter - it was a hypothetical complete with inverted commas, it would be a little silly to get offended over an "example". That would be like getting offended when you read the dictionary.

PS: can someone please link to Woodchip's "offending" post?

A few months ago i think i referred to a fictional TV show called "niggerniggerniggerniggernigger" to illustrate a point about something in an E&C thread. It made perfect sensible sense in context and no-one got offended.
Also a few posts earlier in the same thread i said a hypothetical quote of 'lardass faggot ★■◆● frosted-butt' as an example of something i would not say to someone. But to say that it's not the sort of thing i would generally say, i obviously had to say what it was. No-one got offended.
It was a thread about censorship haha, how ironic.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Ok roid, but I don't actually shoot someone to show the dangers of fire arms...

On the other hand, I don't care if you cuss or not.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Well…roid is her hero and mentor, so just let him lecture her in peace.
Blaze
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Blaze »

CUDA wrote:
roid wrote:Image
LOL @ Censorship.
I never thought "being awesome" would become a swear word.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Welp, I just turned off the swear filter in my user preferences, so you'll never see me bothering to circumvent it again.
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by null0010 »

Lothar wrote:
null0010 wrote:
If you visit my grandma's house, you'll watch your language out of respect for my grandma. Why should this board be any different?

I fully support the free exchange of ideas. On very rare occasions, an idea actually can't be properly expressed without swearing. Most of the time, it can. So show us a little respect and don't bypass the swear filter without extremely good reason.
Bet asked for my opinion, I gave it. I never said I would be swearing or bypassing any ridiculous filter mechanisms.
Fear is the engine that destroys freedom.
Blaze
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Blaze »

Fence sitter? :)
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

There's times I have to watch myself. I worked in auto shops for a few years during my starving college youth days and my coworker mechanics could swear with the best of them. You could almost see the paint peel off the walls. So I unfortunately picked some of it up, because when in Rome........
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Blaze
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Blaze »

....disallow the Fusion Cannon like the Romans do?

Sorry, just thinking about Descent. ;)