What are they so pissed about? (Egypt)

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

What are they so pissed about? (Egypt)

Post by VonVulcan »

So all week I have been hearing on the radio and tv news about the demonstrations and protests in Egypt. Never have I heard an explanation what the Egyptian people are pissed about. Yes, I googled it and found some explanations but it surprises me that nothing or so little has been offered by the media.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: What are they so pissed about? (Egypt)

Post by Spidey »

They’re pissed off about the lack of freedom and the economy…what else is there?
Blaze
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Blaze »

hmm That sounds familiar...

Hey, give the media some credit. Where would we be without all the info about Anna Nicole?
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

As to why the media isn't talking much about it (other than going on like spoiled gods regarding their own people being pushed around) two things come to mind:

1) They don't know any more about the machinations of the key players behind the circumstances than you or I do.

2) They are trying to get up to speed on the events so they will know what to say without making their guy look bad.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

The people were more angry about the economy and lack of jobs than anything else. This "freedom" stuff was just tacked on.

I would hope a truly secular democracy takes over, but this is probably like wishing that Santa Claus was real or that the Tooth Fairy will leave $2billion in my bank account. It ain't gonna happen. Most likely it will be an islamist government hostile to the US and Israel. This could be dangerous.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Post by Heretic »

Their pissed because of food prices, government corruption and mismanagement, police brutality, poverty.
Blaze
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Blaze »

Smells a little too close to home.
ThunderBunny wrote:The people were more angry about the economy and lack of jobs than anything else. This "freedom" stuff was just tacked on.

I would hope a truly secular democracy takes over, but this is probably like wishing that Santa Claus was real or that the Tooth Fairy will leave $2billion in my bank account. It ain't gonna happen. Most likely it will be an islamist government hostile to the US and Israel. This could be dangerous.

You lost me at "sexular" and "demoncrazy." :)

Seems like "freedom" is like a trigger word these days...

Nice signature by the way. ^_~